June 20, 2018
SLS.com will undergo maintenance which may cause users to experience intermittent outages between the hours of 6:00am & 10:00am eastern time.
We appreciate your patience, as we work on site improvements. ~ The SLS Team

Help
FORUMS
Back
vabeachcouple33    Posts: 7697
Last 100 Displayed

WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       06-20-2018 08:28 AM
So the story is a little odd, but what's really odd is the way this is being reported. Authorities were investigating the deaths of three swimmers who were found unresponsive early Tuesday in a swimming pool at a North Carolina apartment complex near Duke University. Emergency workers attempted life-saving measures to revive the victims at the scene, but were unsuccessful, WTVD-TV reported. Police had also gathered evidence from around the pool, including articles of clothing and beer cans. (Now the really weird part) Last year, a mechanical issue spurred a chemical leak at a Durham YMCA swimming pool affecting 40 children ages 6 to 12 years old and two adults, according to ABC News’ August 2017 report of the incident. The leak’s fumes induced symptoms of vomiting, respiratory illness, and skin and eye irritation. ---- I'm just wondering what's going through the writer's mind when they added that tidbit on to the end. "Need something related to 3 teenagers drowning after drinking too much to demonstrate an ongoing problem or "bigger picture" story.... HEY there was a problem with a chlorinator at another pool like 50 miles away last year. I guess that's close enough..."
Nudist Park/Resort ???
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Nudist Park/Resort ???       06-20-2018 06:41 AM
We used to live in the area (and in fact we actually met you about 10 years ago). We know people who went to Whitetail. It is absolutely family oriented and any sort of open sexuality is a strict no-no. Swingers do go there, but it's not so easy to spot them.
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       06-19-2018 21:35 PM
"Maybe the Porsche’s wind deflector wasn’t installed." That's entirely possible. I'm not sure. One major difference was that I sat much lower in the Porsche compared to the Abarth (I'm going to keep calling it that) when consider the height of the doors. I am unable to rest my arm on the side of the door in the Porsche. In the Abarth you almost feel like you're riding *on* the car, sort of go-kart style. With regards to the interior sizing - I'm thinking you're right S, it's really just a better configuration. I really like the styling of it too. And we're getting it in the red/black with red/black interior color scheme, which I think looks awesome (the exact same color configuration was available in the Porsche - minus the black stripe up the center - and if we were to go there, we would have done the same thing). There is no contest in terms of the quality of the car itself - the Porsche was clearly the better car. But we honestly had more fun driving the Abarth, and given that it's half the price of the Porsche, that sort of sealed it. One thing - the engine sound of the Abarth is the throatiest 4-cylinder engine I have ever heard, and like the Porsche you can tone down the exhaust noise to not piss off your neighbors at 3 am.
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       06-19-2018 12:29 PM
Moveable. What's funny is that it's kinda sorta (or a lotte, depending on whom you ask) based on the Miata, but it's far roomier inside. I can fit in it no problem, but I am crammed into a Miata. We drove a number of cars before making this decision. Some of the weirdest things make you pick one car over another. The air turbulence patterns in the interior, with the top down, for instance. In a Porsche 718 at 50 mph Mrs VA's hair flies everywhere. In the 124 it does not. Sounds petty but that was a big factor. If the 718 were comparable in price we might be talking about that, but with it being double - we just didn't love driving it as much. I didn't like the nissan 370z nearly as much as I thought I would. Both of us had an absolute blast driving it. Getting it in black and red with black and red interior. 6 speed manual, baby.
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       06-19-2018 11:33 AM
HT: it's going to be an Abarth 124 Spider.
WTF Profile Text
FORUMS > Successful Swinging > Better Profiles > WTF Profile Text       06-19-2018 09:54 AM
"We have jobs and a family so we can't post any pictures online" Do these people actually think that almost all swingers are unemployed and have no family connections whatsoever??
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       06-19-2018 09:28 AM
It is very, very well documented that Mt. Vesuvius famously erupted on at about 1 pm on August 24, 79 AD, burying the city of Pompeii, and numerous smaller towns in a near-instant with tens of feet of searing hot ash [due to the nature of wind patterns the city of Herculaneum was buried in a later phase of the eruption]. The people there likely had mere minutes - perhaps just 8 at best in Pompeii - between becoming aware of the danger and the onslaught of inescapable suffocation and charring. The fact that the charred bodies of most people in the cities were found huddled and cowering confirms the notion that people had a short bit of time - but not much - in which they could in futility attempt to shelter themselves. People were buried with whatever they happened to be wearing or carrying at the moment. The date and timing of the eruption has never been in question - the event was widely witnessed and attested to by hundreds of thousands of people over a huge area. It happened the day after Vulcanalia - ironically - the festival of the Roman god of fire, including that from volcanoes. Now here is the Fun Fact: There are few problems with this timeline. One is that the inhabitants were wearing fairly heavy, warm clothing, inconsistent with a late August afternoon in normally hot southern Italy. The fresh fruit and vegetables in the shops are typical of October – and conversely the summer fruit typical of August was already being sold in dried, or conserved form. Wine fermenting jars had been sealed, which would have happened around the end of October. Coins found in the purse of a woman buried in the ash include one with a 15th imperatorial acclamation among the emperor's titles. These coins could not have been minted before the second week of September. No explanation has ever been found which could account for the fact that the buried cities themselves seem to have been buried in October, but all survivor accounts indicate that the eruption and death of the cities happened on August 24th.
The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-18-2018 13:55 PM
I wasnt intending to be harsh about it. I'm curious as to exactly what you meant though. My searched for "CEO arrested" and "CEO indicted" returned many recent 2017 or 2018) stories. Besides our good friend Elizabeth Holmes, I found the CEO of a waste contractor company charged with bribing government officials for preferential treatment; the CEO of a pharmaceutical company charged with bribing doctors to prescribe more opioids, the CEO of an aerospace company charged with embezzlement etc. Maybe it doesn't happen quite as much as it should. I would imagine it's because a smart leader will take steps to protect themselves in ways similar to that of a mafia boss, by putting a lot of distance between themselves and those actually doing the dirty work and being careful not to leave any evidence of them directing anyone to do anything criminal. CEOs are sometimes bad people. But they usually aren't stupid.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-18-2018 12:21 PM
....and..... Dec. 6, 2017 - A senior Volkswagen executive was sentenced to seven years in prison by a US court on Wednesday after being found guilty of concealing software used to evade pollution limits on nearly 600,000 diesel vehicles. Oliver Schmidt, a German national who was the general manager in charge of VW’s environmental and engineering office in Michigan, had pleaded guilty to his part in the cover-up and argued he was “misused” by VW in its attempts to circumvent US emissions tests. But at the sentencing in Detroit judge Sean Cox sided with the prosecution. “It is my opinion that you are a key conspirator in this scheme to defraud the United States,” Cox told Schmidt in court. “You saw this as your opportunity to shine … and climb the corporate ladder at VW.”
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-18-2018 12:20 PM
"Do you think this would ever happen in the US? " The US-DOJ issued an arrest warrant for him 6 weeks ago. May 4, 2018 - (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department said on Friday that former Volkswagen Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn, indicted on four felony charges in Detroit in the company’s diesel emissions scandal, is a fugitive who faces a U.S. arrest warrant. As long as Winterkorn remains in Germany, the U.S. warrant is unlikely to have practical impact because Germany does not extradite its citizens to the United States. Winterkorn, 70, a German citizen, was indicted in March on fraud and conspiracy charges, but the case was only unsealed on Thursday. David Ashenfelter, a spokesman for the U.S. District Court in Detroit, confirmed a warrant for Winterkorn’s arrest was issued. Nicole Navas Oxman, a Justice Department spokeswoman, said on Friday, “Martin Winterkorn remains a fugitive.” A Volkswagen spokeswoman declined to comment, except to reiterate that the company is still cooperating. “We are surprised at the charge,” a lawyer for Winterkorn, Felix Doerr, told German news outlet Handelsblatt. A grand jury in Detroit has indicted nine people in connection with the diesel emissions scandal. Two former VW executives have pleaded guilty and been sentenced prison terms, while a former manager of VW’s Audi unit, Giovanni Pamio, 61, an Italian citizen, has been charged and remains in Germany pending extradition. The remaining six, including Winterkorn, are believed to be in Germany and are unlikely to face U.S. charges. Prosecutors in Germany are also investigating the VW emissions issue.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       06-18-2018 12:05 PM
lol Well, I thought the point of a sex doll was a surrogate partner of sorts who would be game for absolutely anything and never be difficult about it. If she's going to refuse you or want to be wined and dined first....
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       06-18-2018 10:32 AM
New sex robots may turn down steamy romps if they are not in the mood. In the not too distant future, you could cuddle up to your cyber sex goddess - only to receive the automated response saying she has a head ache. Love robots have been invented with the intelligence to go on strike - and shut down completely if pestered when not in the mood. Sexbot Samantha's ability to say "no" was demonstrated to an audience of stunned academics at one of the UK's leading science villages. --------- WTF is the point of a sex robot if she's going to be as much of a pain in the ass as an actual woman can be? Or is this meant to help play out rape fantasies?
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-16-2018 19:02 PM
2nd game cancelled after 4 innings. Next weekend we will see if I can throw 18 innings, I guess. Only got 13 in today .
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       06-16-2018 17:53 PM
Kat Von D (whom I have not heard of, but apparently is famous) came out as yet another anti-vaccine idiot. Due to the backlash she has kinda sorta not really rolled back her comments, saying that she's not against vaccines, but against "injecting chemicals". The irony is that Ms Kat is absolutely covered in tattoos.
Pet Peeves
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pet Peeves       06-16-2018 17:51 PM
A guy friend of ours brought a ball gag over to use with Mrs VA. Our cleaning lady found it under the bed and left it on the pillow. Oops.
How's the Weather Out There
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       06-16-2018 17:50 PM
Thunder and lightning keep interrupting my baseball games
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-16-2018 14:32 PM
BOTD: 30 minute lightning delay in my game.
Recent Movies
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Recent Movies       06-16-2018 12:34 PM
Tag. This was one fucking funny movie. I haven't enjoyed a movie that much in a long time.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-16-2018 12:33 PM
I guess you could consider this the 10th year of an expansion. I wasn't really thinking of anything before 2015 being particularly strong. The country came off of its ECMO in 2010, left the hospital in 2012 and hit the gym again in 2015. Others may disagree with my analogy. But I don't think we will wait much longer, and some parts of the country aren't waiting. I realize North Dakota is a special case but I read an article about truckers making $140k and Burger King cant hold onto people while paying $16 an hour.
Is swinging illegal or something?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Is swinging illegal or something?       06-16-2018 11:50 AM
I've never thought of you as ignorant. You're not a dumb or unreasonable person. But your singleminded searing hatred for a long list of people such as, well, almost any Republican, coupled with a need to try to tie almost any problem to them no matter how out there such a connection might be borders on something that might be better described by a psychologist. If I brought up a news story about AC/DC going on tour you'd probably find a way to make it about Trump and immigration. And when I say searing hatred I really mean it. You hold a contempt for a great many people that I reserve for a very few; people like Pol Pot. If you think that's warranted, well, have at it.
Pet Peeves
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pet Peeves       06-16-2018 09:50 AM
"YOU WILL BE SOUGHT AND PROSECUTED TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW." Well, when you think about it, the "full extent" is zero and the end result is zero, so this part is accurate.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-16-2018 08:31 AM
FINALLY Federal prosecutors have indicted Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and the company’s former president Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani with nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Prosecutors claim that the pair defrauded investors, doctors, and patients while promoting and running their now disgraced blood-testing startup. In the new court filing—submitted Thursday, June 14 in federal court in San Jose, and unsealed on Friday—prosecutors allege that Holmes and Balwani engaged in a scheme to mislead investors about the state and capabilities of the company’s blood-testing technology and defrauded them out of more than $100 million. The prosecutors also allege that the pair defrauded doctors and patients by knowingly misleading them with false advertising and marketing that stated that their company could provide accurate and reliable health tests on just drops of blood from a finger-prick with their proprietary technology.
Time wasters
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Time wasters       06-15-2018 13:16 PM
We've only *once* had a no-show of people once we're already out the door... and they didn't exactly no-show.. more like texted us at the last nanosecond to tell us they were going to do something else. Better than sitting there at a table for people who are never going to show up, I guess. Downside is that a lot of people are intimidated by clubs, parties or organized social gatherings. I get that. That might prevent us from meeting some people. C'est la vie.
What's your WOD (workout of the day)
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       06-15-2018 11:28 AM
The amount of liquid I consume during a game is phenomenal. At least 4 liters and I don't usually hit the bathroom. One time in Virginia I played a double header having forgotten to bring anything to drink and came home 15 pounds lighter than when I walked out the door.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       06-15-2018 10:51 AM
Due to an unfortunate coincidence, I will be expected to pitch for both baseball teams I play for tomorrow. Both games are playoff games. One team needs me more than the other. The one that needs me more is the first team. Probably what we'll do is have me pitch the first game. If we're way ahead or way behind I'll come out and then start the second game. Otherwise, I'll pitch the whole game and probably the first 3-5 innings of the second. Wouldn't be the first time I did it. In early May I pitched both games of a double-header.
Time wasters
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Time wasters       06-15-2018 07:33 AM
Welcome to the fora. Yes. That's why we don't do it anymore. Unless we have a strong feeling about someone - which is uncommon - we want to meet people at parties or events, where nobody's evening is wasted if they dont show up or there's no interest. In the last 5 years we've only once met a new couple out for drinks. We had plans to two weeks ago but they vanished as the time got closer, giving us a nice reminder of why we don't do that.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-14-2018 05:34 AM
I love our little old fuzzball, but her yowling in the night is getting steadily worse. From 3-6 every night. A quick "shhh" stops it... for a minute or two. Then back to the LOUD yowling. I know this is common in old cats, and for a lot of reasons. But it's driving us crazy.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 22:59 PM
"Roxxxy by True Companion, has programmable personalities, such as “Wild Wendy,” “Mature Martha,” and “Frigid Farrah.”" Frigid Farrah doesn't sound like a lot of fun. This problem (sex dolls geared towards pedophiles) is one of those problems that I find myself wanting to just wish away. Obviously I appreciate that that's not possible. I don't know how realistic a ban is. I don't know if, as some suggest, dolls like this might actually occupy a pedophile and give them an outlet which would prevent them from harming actual children. I don't know if, as some suggest, dolls would actually encourage pedophiles or normalize their behavior. The whole thing makes me want to throw up, but I know it's a real problem. I also know that pedophiles often (always?) have little control over their urges, and the real difference is that some can subdue or control them better than others. I would like to think that banning them is a good idea, but I don't know for certain. I also don't know if it would pass constitutional muster. I also don't know who would have the nerve to challenge such a law in court.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 21:04 PM
As for arguing a case with anecdotes, you are right that I should not be. My motivation wasn't really to make any sort of arguments about frequency of different sorts of problems, but rather to illustrate some of the real world that I've been exposed to, even though its just my own tiny slice. I often feel the need to go down this road because I imagine that the supposition is that I dont know what life is like outside of the lovely place I'm in now, that I dont know what it's like to go to sleep not knowing how we are going to make it all work. Maybe this is a burden I place upon myself. It have been much more meaningful to argue that it seems like a folly of logic to argue that a median rental rate should be used as a benchmark for what might be affordable on a minimum wage. This whole topic upsets me because it always seems like there is so much effort to broadly blame society for the troubles of everyone facing very trying times without ever really considering what the downtrodden themselves might have done, and sometimes continue to do, to keep themselves there. I'm not such a petulant child that I am not able to withstand being called out if you think I'm being unreasonable, or have gone the wrong way down a logical thought path.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 17:25 PM
Oh don't be such a whiner. Look, I'm perfectly willing to go along with the concept that people are homeless for myriad reasons, and they vary widely with respect to how much responsibility those people bear for their situation, their willingness, resolve and ability to overcome it, and some factors outside of their control - some overwhelmingly so, and not of a transient nature. Just for kicks I googled "Why are people homeless?". First hit was the Salvation Army website, which listed: poverty unemployment lack of affordable housing poor physical or mental health drug and alcohol abuse gambling family and relationship breakdown domestic violence physical and/or sexual abuse. Other hits gave largely similar lists. While I take issue with none of those, one is not on the list that I keep coming back to: is a fucking dumbass. Under no circumstances am I saying that everyone is, but I refuse to believe that the cases that I've seen like that are some sort of stupendous "just happens around VA" sort of exceptions. I saw one family of 9 (one of those conglomerates of husband/wife/4 kids, wife's sister and her kid) get thrown out of their $390 a month 4-bedroom public housing unit according to the following chain of events: - They got their income tax refunds (around $1,000) - They decided to blow it on a big screen TV (this would have been in 1998 or so). But the one they wanted was $1,200. So they bought it. - They now didn't have enough for the rent. Because Mom and Dad didn't have their share, sister refused to kick in. So the rent got missed. - Next month came around and now they had to come up with $780. They didn't have it. Instead of paying *something* they paid *nothing*. - A few more months went by. Now they are in such a hole they couldn't possibly dig out. They don't have $2,000 and have no reasonable prospect to come up with it - Out they go A few of them lived with us for a month or so until they figured something out. But they still had no money. How? They didn't pay any rent for 5 months. Where did the money they would otherwise have paid to rent go? Which item on the Salvation Army list does this fall under? They managed to pay the rent before. 2 of them had jobs, if somewhat lousy ones. No. They were fucking dumbasses. We knew these specific people well for many years because they were family friends of Mrs. VA's through her church when she was a kid. One thing that all of the Salvation Army list reasons have in common is that none of them are cases where they people involved were responsible for their mess through their own bad decisions. Why not? Why do we act as though homelessness isn't ever the result of a series of profoundly bad judgement calls?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 16:36 PM
Sure, for some people. It's not the reason for some others. Why am I and everyone I know always considered an outlier by you? I'm more willing to believe that $an Diego is the outlier.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 15:34 PM
Our daughter and future SIL combine to $21 an hour. While that's more than $13.76, it's not a *lot* more, and their 2 bedroom is in a 24/7 gated (yes) housing complex with a gorgeous gym and pool complex, walking paths, close to everything. They have health insurance, all utilities, eat well, our SIL had a $300 a month gaming budget (seriously). Our daughter has a brand new car and a Frenchie. And both of them have student loans they are paying off. And this is in a fairly nice area, not Bumfuckville, Arkansas. They make a little more than what you described but they live a pretty decent life. Something tells me you're talking about the average 2 bedroom, not a low-end one. A quick online search showed lots of 2 bedroom apartments in Little Rock for under $500 a month.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 15:20 PM
"The hourly wage needed to rent a two bedroom apartment in the lowest cost state, Arkansas, is $13.72" That's $2,195 a month. Our daughter lives in a 2-bedroom apartment here in Orlando and it's $1,200. Some crappy ones can be had for as little as $700. Something is disconnected here.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 15:17 PM
I don't think it's an intractable problem in all cases. But I do think it is in a lot. I've lived in public housing. Almost everyone there was hopeless, IMHO. Some would be able to live out their lives in a state of permanent semi-dependence, some were always getting themselves thrown out/arrested/ whatever. In the two years we lived there, we were the only household we know of that left to move to their own housing (as opposed to moving to another housing complex or being thrown out). We might not have been the only one, but there is no way that there were many. I'm probably so jaded by people in poverty because I've lived among them and watched the staggeringly bad decisions they made over and over again, and heard plenty of earfuls over who they always blamed for their problems. We of course were poor ourselves because of our crap decisions involving children while so young and incapable. We overcame that, but we are the exception, not the rule.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 14:23 PM
Oh I should mention... That idea I just threw out was intended to be a medium-term solution (1--4 months) to assist people in bad situations. It would be a proving ground for who can be expected to be a reasonable candidate for longer term public housing, who just needs a place for a short while to get them through a crisis, or who is probably going to be in and out of homeless shelters for the rest of their lives. I did just pull this idea out of my ass. No idea if it's been attempted before. Obviously a place like this would need 24/7 security, a PO box location, and probably a dedicated social worker or 3.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 14:14 PM
I have one problem with taking certain people and "providing them housing". Presumably at a very low or zero rent rate. Have you ever SEEN the conditions that some people put these properties into? I have. First-hand, many times. I have. I've gone into nasty apartments full of squatting homeless people, garbage, feces, vermin, vomit and drugs. Sprinkling people like this among an otherwise desirable neighborhood makes the entire neighborhood undesirable. Not only would we need to provide housing but we need to them babysit them all the time. Either that or let them just turn them into utter shit. There are major legal obstacles when it comes to mandatory inspections, evictions, etc. I'm sure I am coming across as cruel and uncaring. Not at all. I really do want to help people but I think we need to be realistic about what we can expect some (*some*) of these people to behave like when we're trying to help them. I might be much more supportive of doing basic renovations to run-down motels (and there are a lot of them, in some places anyway), converting some side-by-sides to two-bedrooms to accommodate small families, with mandatory *daily* housekeeping visits (escorted by a security guard if need be) and rather rigid conditions on what sort of behavior is to be tolerated.
What's for Breakfast
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Breakfast       06-13-2018 09:57 AM
A "burrito" made out of peanut butter and peanuts. It's actually one of my favorite snacks, especially if I put sliced bananas in too. Yeah I know.. I'm a weirdo. I eat enormous quantities of peanuts.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-13-2018 09:26 AM
It was from a California number. Of course that doesn't mean much these days. People tend to keep their cell area codes as they move around.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 09:24 AM
Tesla is laying off 9% of its workforce in a corporate restructuring. Musk wrote an open letter explaining it all. This part stuck out to me: "Given that Tesla has never made an annual profit in almost 15 years…profit is obviously not what motivates us,” ----------- You might want to re-think that strategy there, sparky.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       06-13-2018 09:22 AM
"“Given that Tesla has never made an annual profit in almost 15 years…profit is obviously not what motivates us,” Elon Musk, in an open letter explaining why they are laying off 9% of their workforce.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 09:05 AM
A proposal to split California into three states will appear on the ballot in November, as it has garnered enough signatures to do so. Apparently support for the proposal is weak - 17% in favor as of right now. Also, if voters approved it, Congress would still have to make it happen. California passed a measure to break itself up in 1859 but Congress never made it so. I'd predict that if California were to pass it (which I seriously doubt will happen), Congress *would* make it happen, given today's political climate. Since Republicans currently run the show, splitting California into 3 would suddenly put some of California's now 6 Senate seats and electoral college votes into play. Of course, if/when voters realize this, this will probably incentivize them further into voting No.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 06:40 AM
Like most issues, we've discussed this one many times. I agree with tbr that it's a very complex issue, although I contend that there are more reasons at play than the ones he lists. My experience with living with impoverished people (and us being impoverished ourselves for a number of years mostly in the 90s) showed me everything from drugs, mental illness, and the one tbr didn't include, *profoundly bad* decision-making skills. I saw people who couldn't pay their $350 public housing rent but were always going out to eat and always had plenty of booze and smokes. I've also known people who wouldn't pay their rent if it were just $10. Not because they couldn't pay it, but because the concept of being responsible for any sort of bill whatsoever is something they refuse to accept. All of these people always had someone to blame, either specifically or nebulously.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-13-2018 06:02 AM
Wrong number at 3:46 am.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-13-2018 06:01 AM
"pubic-private ventures" Best. Typo. Ever.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-12-2018 23:13 PM
Now this is the part that struck me: Sponsors of the tax said Seattle's biggest-earning businesses should shoulder some burden for easing a low-cost-housing shortage they helped create through an over-heated real estate market that has left the working poor and many middle-class families unable to afford to live in the city. Key part: Seattle's biggest-earning businesses should shoulder some burden for easing a low-cost-housing shortage they helped create What a perverse way to frame it. Councilwoman Kshama Sawant, who cast one of two votes opposing the repeal, said the council was “bending to big business” and referred to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos as an “enemy” of Seattle. Some might say that big business exercised undue clout. Amazon halted their plans to build a large new office building in the city. Or some might say that this is a fairly predictable reflex when one tries to pull a fast one on the lifeblood of your city. ----- So this is just some mental meandering. This seems to be a fairly predictable pattern in the ultra lefty cities of the west coast. Businesses move in and thrive, but once established, rather than bask in all of the revenue the businesses bring in, the cities begin to resent the very companies that built the damn city. Why do they do this?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-12-2018 23:03 PM
So winding back a little. While edited for length, I'm not making any creative changes to this. (Reuters) - The Seattle City Council on Tuesday repealed a newly enacted "head tax" on the city's largest companies, including Amazon.c om, in the face of seemingly insurmountable big-business opposition to a revenue measure meant to combat homelessness. The 7-2 vote in favor of repeal capped an acrimonious public hearing interrupted by chanting supporters of the tax, conceived in response to a local economic boom that has driven up real estate costs at the expense of the working class. The council's stunning reversal came as momentum was building for a referendum drive against the measure, just weeks after it was unanimously adopted by the council and signed into law by the mayor. Sponsors of the tax said Seattle's biggest-earning businesses should shoulder some burden for easing a low-cost-housing shortage they helped create through an over-heated real estate market that has left the working poor and many middle-class families unable to afford to live in the city. Opponents branded the measure a "tax on jobs" and said they feared it would spark an economic backlash.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       06-12-2018 22:51 PM
After a number of months of spotty gym attendance, I've logged 4 days in a row now. That's my best streak since January.
Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest       06-12-2018 21:48 PM
Does she do septic tanks? Asking for a friend.
Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest       06-12-2018 13:16 PM
Lmao ncal and "Hair"... Give me hair! Long beautiful hair!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 21:24 PM
Alarmed at the recent report of a case of polio in Venezuela, the country's neighbors are becoming increasingly wary of the wave of refugees flooding in, especially if they bring disease with them. We are finding out now that Venezuela had largely stopped immunizing years ago, not just recently. So far in 2018, 904 of the 1,115 western hemisphere cases of measles occurred in Venezuela. But that doesn't really cover the situation. Brazil reported 104 cases; however, 86 of them were Venezuelan nationals in the refugee camps and border towns. Of the 21 cases in Colombia, 20 of them were Venezuelans. Basically, 1,010 of the 1,115 cases were Venezuelans, as their health system is a complete shambles. Most of the rest were in Canada and the US, because we have a high concentration of anti-vax morons. Meanwhile, not far away... One of Venezuela's biggest supporters, Nicaragua, is beginning to deteriorate. Police have killed more than 100 marchers who attended a demonstration to protest those killed in previous marches. Cuba is in serious trouble too. After the fall of the USSR, Cuba fell into tatters as their main benefactor stopped the flow of money. Venezuela picked up the role and kept Cuba humming for a long time. However, Venezuela has turned off the juice and is unlikely to resume funding Cuba (or anything) anytime soon. The Cuban economy has been receiving 20.8% of its entire GDP in the form of free or heavily subsidized oil which Cuba uses or sells on the global market for hard currency. Without this they face a massive contraction. A shit-storm's a brewin'... and it's angry and brown....
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 20:08 PM
Country Time Lemonade has started a legal fund to assist children who are required to pay for permits or, even after the fact, fines when they are busted by the fuzz for their renegade lemonading. Every summer we get some stories of kids being shut down. Last week in Denver two brothers were busted. Their setup was outside of the "official" area for a the Denver Arts festival, selling lemonade for 75 cents a cup. An "official" stand inside the area, selling for $7 a glass, reportedly made a complaint to the city. The group will cover fees up to $300 for stands that were fined in 2017 or 2018 or for permits bought this year. In a video posted on YouTube, Country Time said the team is “making sure no kid is denied their right to a lemonade stand.” To apply for reimbursement, parents or guardians can upload a picture of their child’s permit or fine to Legal-Ade’s website. The team will cover up to $60,000 in total.
How's the Weather Out There
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       06-11-2018 19:50 PM
We are into that part of year where we get thunderstorms almost every afternoon. I have lived in the southeast for 12 years now, and Florida for almost 4. I have never seen rain like we just had about 30 minutes ago. Holy crap.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 16:31 PM
"I suspect it would be less acrimonious over beer" Most certainly, although I'd insist on treating tbr to a bourbon and he can treat me to a scotch. Or the other way around. I had an opportunity to meet his for a drink when I was in his neck of the woods perhaps 18 months ago, but it couldn't be made to work.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 16:29 PM
"Are you contending that every company treats 1099 workers the same way you do?" Of course not. Although I don't know of any company who operates differently than us within our industry, and I know quite a few. "Do you have experience with other 1099 occupations?" IT, mostly. And I've seen the entire spectrum in IT, from "no way is that a 1099" to "yep. 1099 all the way" and everywhere in between. All of this comes down to my argument being that conditions have been put in place which incentivize the gig economy. I don't think we actually disagree on this.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 15:49 PM
That's a ridiculous standpoint. You are familiar with some shitty industries, therefore other industries are the same. Clearly, a company which conducts legal, clinical and data analytics review of medical-related cases who farms out work to MDs, nurses and lawyers is going to operate similarly to a ride-share company or strip joint. When we have a job to be done, we go out to our 1099's. "Who can do this by Friday?" or "We need a cardiologist to review this record. Can you do it?" They either can or they can't. They do it on their own machines, with their own materials and resources, and on their own time. They have full rights to accept or deny the job. Of course if they say "no" too often we eventually stop asking. Come on. You're a smart guy, but that was a dumb thing to say.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 15:10 PM
I started this by saying "A lot of changes over a number of years have made the gig economy more and more attractive to businesses." That includes both restrictions and relaxations. I only brought up the health care mandate as an example. You can call my citing of Le Chatelier's principle quasi-intellectual bullshit all you like, but it's not exactly an outcast concept in economic circles, even if it isn't always named as such. And it's not just "negatives" - any sort of alteration of the conditions can result in an equilibrium shift.
Snoody People
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Snoody People       06-11-2018 12:12 PM
We don't encounter that *too* often. It's usually not hard (for us, anyway) to gauge how long people want us to hang around. Occasionally it's people who clearly want to be left alone, either by just us or by everyone. What can you possibly hope to do about it?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 12:10 PM
"we can't really separate what is fair or right from the analysis of policy" Right, but we also can't just wish away the realities of how people react to policy changes. Which is what got you started on this sub-topic here in the first place...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 11:13 AM
Btw The Urban Institute (which I'm hoping you don't consider to be a Randian wannabe hack organization) published a report by economist Stephen Rose in 2016 called "The Growing Size and Incomes of the Upper Middle Class", examining trends from the 1979-2015 time frame. They argue that the middle class is indeed shrinking, but that it's because more people are moving into the upper middle, not lower. 19 of the 20 income ventiles (I actually thought I invented that word in a pinch because I didn't know what a 5 percentile range was called, but it turns out to be correct) saw inflation-adjusted growth. The very bottom saw a 12 percent drop. Even the 20th percentile saw a 15% inflation-adjusted growth rate. What they define as the "middle class" saw a 30% increase., upper middle 62% and upper 149%. The poor saw a 4% growth rate, but the proportion considered "poor" dropped from 24.3% to 19.8%. The size of all of the groups considered "poor", "near-poor", "lower-middle" and "middle" shrunk, and the upper and upper-middle increased. Not just in terms of dollars, but in terms of the number of people within them. The argument that anything resembling a large proportion of the population getting downtrodden seems awfully weak. In the 1970s the idea of a "poor" or "lower middle" class person buying a brand new car - even a cheapie one - was preposterous. Now it's pretty common. I remember if someone on our street bought a brand new car the whole neighborhood came to look at it and congratulate them. Since you're older than me you probably remember this too.
Seeking LS friends - Celebrity Equinox (Miami) June 23-30, 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Seeking LS friends - Celebrity Equinox (Miami) June 23-30, 2018       06-11-2018 10:53 AM
lol I bet that was some quality input from ncal.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 10:51 AM
You're focused on what is fair or what you think is right. I'm not really even disagreeing with you on what I think is fair or right. We have only one actual employee, and in Florida it's virtually impossible to get "corporate" health insurance for a company of 3, so we don't have much of a choice but to give her a monthly cash stipend in lieu of benefits. It's fairy generous, all things considered. Even more so since she's covered under her husband so for her it's just extra cash. We don't do it because we see it as some sort of patriotic duty - we do it because we like her and want her to stay. In spite of what you might think of me I support and applaud companies offering health insurance (for example). Companies who try to mistreat or abuse their employees deserve to have them walk out the door to a better opportunity with someone who'll treat them better. But you and I think is right or what ought to happen doesn't matter a hill of beans when it comes to what *will* happen. No amount of wanting businesses or people to act in a certain way will cause them to do so. If you try to force them they'll look for another way, and it'll probably suck even more for everyone as a result. It happens every time. *IF* we can stay on a positive economic trajectory for a fair while we will see improvements in full time employment, pay and benefits as a result of the very real forces of supply and demand, as opposed to the artificial ones of pleading, guilt and nagging. You think the employer mandate wrecked full time employment? Wait until you see what happens with a national $15 minimum wage.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 09:42 AM
Bullshit? Hardly. You don't think that changes like healthcare mandates for employees over 30 hours a week has something to do with this? If you're going to make it more burdensome- fairly or not- for employers to have employees, you're going to see fewer of them. It's that simple. I don't know why this comes as a surprise to anyone. Any time some massive regulation comes down that makes employment problematic, you're warned about how it'll impact employment, you say it wont, and then when it does anyway you cry foul. As for us getting ours - we dont have a single subcontractor making less than $125 an hour. Nobody's stuck eating Raman working for people like us.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-11-2018 05:07 AM
I didn't say it was better for employees. But I'm not the one who made the changes. Le Chatellier strikes again.
Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls
FORUMS > General Discussions > Games > Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls       06-10-2018 22:39 PM
"Love to slap with dick. Kick [name] or text [number]. I m in Orlando tonight" Classy.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-10-2018 18:19 PM
"a trend some economists say may be driven in part by the gig economy. Perhaps this indicates a new trade off between a desire for independence verses compensation" Well, a couple of thoughts. I think that wage growth is the "laggiest" of all lagging indicators, and that a sustained lack of labor is needed to produce a sharp uptick in wages. Also, demand is to a great extent in highly skilled labor, and not in the "I'll work hard and learn anything" pool. Re: the gig economy. A lot of changes over a number of years have made the gig economy more and more attractive to businesses. We don't blink much over taking on a new subcontractor, but a new employee is a big undertaking of obligations and expenses and we strongly discourage it. A lot of subs also wouldn't have it any other way. 1099 abuse is a real thing, of course, but more people than ever are going the 1099 route for a lot of reasons.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Is swinging illegal or something?       06-10-2018 14:09 PM
If you'd prefer to not be thought of as one, you could always stop acting like one. But you ain't pushing my buttons. This "story" got near-zero press in the Canadian media, because Canadians get the joke and let it be. It's Americans, 'ignorant' of the mythology of how Canadians look at this event, who looked like the fools on this one. I had quite a laugh at it when it was published, and another one when you went all unhinged about it. As for this issue - you're outta your mind if you think this is all about social conservatives. Andrew correctly pointed out that disdain for swingers is widely distributed across all strata. Mrs VA's sister is deeeeeeep in the LGBT community; we went to her ex's lesbian wedding- officiated by a drag queen. The majority of these people that we've known think that a married m-f couple swinging is absolutely perverse.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-10-2018 10:15 AM
The first case of polio in the western hemisphere in 25 years has been reported in Venezuela. WHO protocols require reporting within 24 hours. The government of Venezuela obviously has better things to do so they waited 6 weeks. It is an unimmunized child in a very poor area. How the virus got there is a mystery at the moment.
Straight, Bi, or Bi curious
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Straight, Bi, or Bi curious       06-10-2018 09:51 AM
It's been explained to you. Everyone here realizes that "curious" means something specific. But since it's the only choice offered between Straight and Bi, it is forced to stand in for all of the in-between situations.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-09-2018 14:43 PM
Yeah and my Dad bought Playboys for the articles. ;)
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-09-2018 12:07 PM
Health Canada conducted a large study of Canadian parents and their attitudes towards vaccination. ONE IN 10 Canadian parents is now refusing or delaying vaccinations for their children because of this online bullshit! Freakin' unbelievable! We in the developed world have become so secure in our success that we have completely lost sight with respect to how we got here. We didn't get to this point in our health with essential oils, turmeric and Reiki healing. We got here through a century's worth of science. I'm really tired of everyone who wants to take us back to 13th century medicine.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       06-08-2018 23:08 PM
It's a long one but I love it. Carl Sagan said this in reference to the famous photograph "Pale Blue Dot", which is earth photographed by Voyager 1 from 3.7 million miles away. We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam. The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Is swinging illegal or something?       06-08-2018 18:20 PM
LOL well damn. Now we're back to the OP. Shooting me is illegal. Please don't do so.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Is swinging illegal or something?       06-08-2018 17:54 PM
I don't know. I'm not the one with the pathological need to turn every topic into a rant about Trump.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Is swinging illegal or something?       06-08-2018 15:30 PM
"Hey since you brought him up did you notice where that ignorant asshole said the other day that it was Canada that burned down Washington in the war of 1812? " So since we're calling out ignorant assholes.... I didn't bring him up. You did. And yes, I saw what was reported in the headline as "Trump claiming that Canada burned down the White House." Since it was a private phone call and we have no way of knowing exactly how it went, we have no choice but to rely on the source that told CNN...... "According to the sources, Trudeau pressed Trump on how he could justify the tariffs as a “national security” issue. In response, Trump quipped to Trudeau, “Didn’t you guys burn down the White House?” referring to the War of 1812." Two points of order: 1. In 1812 as part of the British Empire, there was no actual distinction between any Canadian army or British army. So whether it was the British or Canadians who burned the White House is a, as someone might say, "distinction without a difference" 2. Given that lack of distinction, go ahead and ask any Canadian who burned the White House. They'll tell you that it was Canada who did it. This is a long-running quasi-joke among Canadians, who very much regard the War of 1812 as a war between the US and Canada, not Britain. So Canadians might at first claim it, and then you'd say "wasn't it actually the British?" and they'll sort of sheepishly said "yeah.... I guess.." Of course, one might insist that Trump was not aware of this inside joke (which Trudeau most certainly was). Perhaps it was a lucky accident on Trump's part. But this is most certainly not an obscure reference of Canadiana, and I'd be willing to bet 4 orders of poutine and 2 dozen Timbits that Trudeau laughed his butt off when Trump said it, and not because he thought Trump was being an ignorant asshole (although he most likely thinks so otherwise). I think Trump is a buffoon too, but you've taken it to a level of derangement.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-08-2018 15:11 PM
"@VA I'm not sure what you're missing here. " Me neither. What is it you think I'm missing?
Simple Pleasures
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Simple Pleasures       06-08-2018 10:11 AM
Boyz II Men were originally called Bugs to Men but they changed it later.
Obituaries
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Obituaries       06-08-2018 09:51 AM
Suicide statistics are interesting, from a purely statistics standpoint, as it's relatively easy to pick and choose statistical parameters which lead you to the conclusion you want. Suicide in the US is roughly on-par with other developed countries. A bit higher than, say, the Netherlands, but well below some others like Switzerland and far below Japan. People are quick to point out that our rates are the highest since 1999-2000, but usually leave out the detail that 2000 was our all-time low. Every year since 2000 has been an increase. However, we are about at the rates in the mid-80s and below our all-time high, in 1977.
MAGA
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > MAGA       06-07-2018 20:22 PM
Ask any Canadian. They'll tell you they did.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-07-2018 20:19 PM
I fixated on taxes because the post specifically said that the cause of acceleration was changes to the income tax code.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-07-2018 13:06 PM
Ohhhhhh I get it. It's because the government isn't clawing back as much on the benefits they pay out. So it works like this: =Your employer makes money and pays some to you. =Your employer pays some % of what you make to the government =You also pay some % of what you make to the government =Many years later, you collect a little bit of it back from the government. =But then the government taxes that benefit as income and takes more back. Its impacts to the last step that are the "culprit" here. Of course this means that social security beneficiaries keep more of their benefit...... ...... those assholes...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-07-2018 13:00 PM
Someone's going to have to help me understand why the Social Security fund would receive less money when income tax rates are changed.
Pet Peeves
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pet Peeves       06-07-2018 12:54 PM
Well, I dunno. I'm thinking that the term "condescending" is somewhat synonymous in this instance with "degrading", "insulting". Do you really think the writer meant anything like that about his wife? Maybe it doesn't strike me as much, because I have been called "sweetie", "honey" or even "baby" by women I don't know on an almost daily basis for more than 12 years, and I don't think much of it.
Pet Peeves
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pet Peeves       06-07-2018 11:01 AM
I don't use the term "wifey", but how is it any more condescending than "hubby"? It just strikes me as informal and playful. Maybe it's a regional thing. Ever call a woman under the age of 60 "ma'am" in New York? Whooooo boy. You might as well have called them an old bat. As for use in introductions - I don't think that's what Goodenuff meant. I think he meant more like getting an email saying "Wifey and I checked out your profile...."
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-07-2018 10:13 AM
Maybe Robert finally found a decent job, and they locked in inside with 2 years worth of air. He'll have to eat whatever swims by and drink his own urine, though. At least he'll make a living wage.
What A Great Name For A Rockband!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What A Great Name For A Rockband!       06-07-2018 10:12 AM
"Bugz II Men" ~ 4 Seasons of Furriness
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-07-2018 10:08 AM
Ohhh bummer you were here and I didn't know it..
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-07-2018 01:54 AM
Our house is 3 miles from Cinderella's castle. They currently go off at 9:15 for around 15 minutes with some wobbling depending on the season, or changes due to thunderstorms etc.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       06-06-2018 18:50 PM
I usually put Venezuela-related stuff in the News thread, but..... Venezuela’s extended power cuts have been caused by the Earth moving too close to the Sun, according to an ally of President Maduro. Lisandro Cabello, government secretary in the sweltering oil-producing state of Zulia, which has been suffering blackouts for several months, said that the summer soltice was to blame. He told a press conference that the planetary path was making people use too much electricity. “It is because we are very close to the Sun, and in Zulia, while the rest of the world is cold, it is hot here, that just makes the situation more serious,” he said.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       06-06-2018 17:45 PM
Fun Fact#1 : Kate Spade's widower Andy Spade is the brother of actor David Spade. I had no idea. Fun Fact #2: Kate Spade was the aunt of actress Rachel Brosnahan (from House of Cards) (I didn't know who this was) Not so Fun Fact #3: Reportedly, Kate's left a suicide note for their daughter, explaining that this wasn't her fault, and that she should ask her father why she did it. (Apparently Andy Spade told her he wanted a divorce a few days earlier)
Obituaries
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Obituaries       06-06-2018 17:02 PM
This obituary of someone none of us know ran on June 3 in the Redwood Falls (Minnesota) Gazette. It's all over the internet, so I won't bother redacting anything. Kathleen Dehmlow (Schunk) was born on March 19, 1938 to Joseph and Getrude Schunk of Wabasso. She married Dennis Dehmlow at St. Anne's in Wabasso in 1957 and had two children, Gina and Jay. In 1962, she became pregnant by her husband’s brother Lyle Dehmlow and moved to California. She abandoned her children, Gina and Jay, who were then raised by her parents in Clements, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schunk. She passed away on May 31, 2018 in Springfield and will now face judgement. She will not be missed by Gina and Jay, and they understand that this world is a better place without her.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       06-06-2018 15:36 PM
Wow that's a Frankworthy thing to say.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       06-06-2018 13:53 PM
Whoa shit. Correct. Sorry.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       06-06-2018 13:03 PM
Somewhat related FF: Operation Overlord was the code name for the planned invasion of Japan. So many casualties were anticipated that enough Purple Hearts were manufactured so that, as of 2003, 106,000 still remain in stock, and to this day every Purple Heart given out is from the 1944-1945 production run.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-06-2018 06:33 AM
An interesting video shared to twitter shows a woman buying something at a deli counter in Venezuela with 1 million bolivars. She is stacking a huge pile of money on top of the counter from a giant sack she dragged in full of money. The value on the day the video was posted (Monday) was 71 cents. Today it is 56 cents. The OAS (Organization of American States) General Assembly has voted 19-4-11 (for/against/abstain) to suspend Venezuela's membership, which is mostly symbolic since Venezuela announced their intention to withdraw last April anyway. In their resolution the OAS accused Venezuela of turning its back on the OAS commitments to democracy and human rights. Meanwhile, you're seeing one of the results of Venezuela's implosion at the gas pump. PDVSA's inability to maintain output has caused a global supply pinch which of course results in higher oil prices. With production already down to 1949 levels, PDVSA is on the verge of declaring force majeur on some of their contracts - i.e. they cannot deliver their oil as promised. So the last thing that actually works in Venezuela is entering shutdown. It continues to blow my mind that the country has just decided to slowly wither and die rather than having had a coup or something.
Replying to Messages
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Replying to Messages       06-05-2018 18:30 PM
FWIW our "no thanks" is the same standard canned one that the website offers. We also have a second "No pics" canned response that reads "Thank you for your interest. We are unable to gauge ours as pictures of one or both of you are not available which would allow us to know. Please feel free to write back when you have clear pictures of both of you uploaded to the site."
Replying to Messages
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Replying to Messages       06-05-2018 18:25 PM
I wonder why it is that men get so nasty with women who say no thanks. In our 10 years on the site we've had maybe 5 replies with nasty to our "no thanks", and maybe 15-20 just asking "why not?" Only once has someone kept arguing after our initial generic "just a judgement call, nothing personal, wish you well" We had one single female that we no thanked and she asked why not. We replied that it was because her profile made it clear that she was cheating on her husband. She ranted about how nobody else seems to care, so I must be gay.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       06-05-2018 16:13 PM
#MakeAmericaMailItIn
Obituaries
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Obituaries       06-05-2018 12:44 PM
Fashion designer Kate Spade. Suicide by hanging.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-05-2018 12:29 PM
Tesla has come out denying that, but won't say what their figures are. In late April Musk claimed that Model 3 would reach 6,000 per week by early June. Well, here we are, and it's much less. In the entire month of May, Tesla built 6,250 Model 3's, or 1,412 a week. While Tesla promised that the car would base price at $35,000, they aren't making the base models and can only be bought in more expensive configurations, and it'll be at least a year (which in Tesla-speak probably means 3-4 years) until you can actually buy a sub-$40k Model 3. Well, more like a year until you can order it. How long it'll take for them to deliver it is anyone's guess. I just don't understand why any investor would take his forecasts on profit and production seriously. Tesla falls stupendously short *every single time*.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       06-05-2018 10:26 AM
Remember Rob Ford, the crack-snorting Chris Farley lookalike mayor of Toronto, who for a while made enough of a spectacle of himself to make the news in the US? His brother Doug is set to become the next premier (akin to governor) of Ontario.
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.