Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Fitness › Skin care
TOPIC: Skin care
Created by: mayhem8
Original Starting post for this thread:
I am one of the unlucky ones that inherited a likelihood of skin cancer from my mother. I "should" be using sunscreen on my face daily. I do try to do that when I go out in the sun, but depending on what's in your sunscreen, that can be almost as bad as the UVA/B the sunscreen is protecting you from, depending on who you listen to.

Having sensitive skin in general also doesn't help, but I've been trying an experiment using coconut oil on some very small dry patches, and it has been working very well. I looked into what the active ingredient in sunscreen is. There are various ones, but it seems like the overall best/safest one is zinc oxide. Mixed with the coconut oil at 20% zinc, 80% oil is supposed to yield an SPF of 30. Apparently coconut oil by itself has some small SPF value too (5%?).

Anyway, I got some organic cold pressed unrefined coconut oil (which is what is recommended for skin/hair care) and added 20% zinc oxide powder that I found on Amazon and am going to try that in lieu of the chemical based stuff I was using. A little bit of the coconut oil goes a very long way.

The zinc powder is specificaly listed as being for DIY sunscreen and was $17 for a pound of it. The zinc oxide itself never expires, so I only mix it up in small batches.

Only thing is that with the cold pressed coconut oil, I will smell like coconut. I like the smell, but not everyone does. Curious if anyone sees a downside in all of this, but all natural sunscreen (which is basically what I made) is stupidly expensive and this was super easy to make. I thought the coconut oil would leave my skin feeling greasy, but it doesn't.

If people decide to do this, you probably want to try it on a small area first, but from what I've read, zinc oxide is what they use in the higher end all natural sunscreens, and unless you have a coconuut oil alergy, that should be pretty safe too. Especially relative to some of the chemicals they put in some sunscreens.

1 to 10 of 10
User Details are only visible to members.

Due to new laws enacted by The US Government, we are making some changes to our business model and policies which limits access to our free members.

Please understand that our priority is to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for like minded people. These changes are required to meet that goal.

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Due to new laws enacted by The US Government, we are making some changes to our business model and policies which limits access to our free members.

Please understand that our priority is to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for like minded people. These changes are required to meet that goal.

Sandy Springs GA US
Username hidden
(1079 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Prior Lake MN US
Username hidden
(3476 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Ellsworth ME
Username hidden
(1181 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)
1 to 10 of 10
TOPIC: Skin care
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Service  |  Privacy Policy  |  FOSTA Compliance Policy

Copyright © 1998- DashBoardHosting, LLC., and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.