10% of all proceeds from purchased memberships will be donated to the victims and families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy.
SwingLifeStyle.com

Help
FORUMS
Back
vabeachcouple33    Posts: 29180
Last 100 Displayed

The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-18-2018 13:28 PM
Ah found it. It was that a variety of soybeans engineered to produce more methionine accidentally induced allergies to those already allergic to Brazil nuts. This was deemed an unacceptable side-effect, and the product was abandoned. The product was abandoned in the development stage.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-18-2018 13:18 PM
"there is a strong scientific consensus that GMO foods posses no threat to human health than any other foods" Good grief. What English butchery is that? Try again: there is a strong scientific consensus that GMO foods pose no greater threat to human health than any other foods. And yes, scientific consensus can be overturned, but once a consensus is reached, the burden of overturning it falls to the naysayers.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-18-2018 13:00 PM
Btw any statement that "GMOs are bad" is every bit as dumb as "GMOs are good". Every product is unique and needs to be treated and evaluated as such. Some products when evaluated turn out to have harmful properties and are not approved. An example being a soybean variety that turned out to have harmful levels of - I don't remember what. Methionine? Don't remember. Just like climate change, there is a strong scientific consensus that GMO foods posses no threat to human health than any other foods. Almost all global scientific and medical organizations have issued clear position statements stating as such. After decades of data and billions of people eating them nobody has found any evidence that any of the approved GMOs released have harmful effects whatsoever. What on earth are you waiting for? Dr. Evil has pulled a good one over on the world, I guess. Tens of thousands of scientists and politicians are in it together to poison the world's food supply for money. You figured it all out.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-18-2018 12:53 PM
Current, can you back that up with anything? The FDA's page "How FDA Regulates Food from Genetically Engineered Plants" reads very different than some sort of "all GMO foods are GRAS". View it with all the side-eye you like. I know very few actual scientists who hold your skepticism. This is the sort of thing I mean when I say that most people are anti-science. They are all pro-science.. until something comes along that doesn't sit well with them, such as climate change or GMOs. Then they all turn into ncal.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-17-2018 20:54 PM
"The degree to which chemicals we currently associate with petrochemical "plants", pharmaceuticals, plastics, etc. will one day be produced in agricultural fields is limited only by one's imagination." You don't need to go that far. Probably the single biggest "petrochemical" produced in agricultural fields is ethylene, also made in petrochemical plants. " what I object to is the (absurd) notion, made policy by the FDA through a concerted corporate/political conspiracy, to recognize food products produced through GMO as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe)" There is no carte blanche approval for GMOs. They are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Where did you get the idea that there is some sort of broad GRAS status granted to any and all GMOs? "the degree to which many of those producing the studies evaluating these products (to the extent they are evaluated at all) are liked to/funded by the industries whose products they are evaluating is a matter for concern." Yeah I'm sure the Italian department of agriculture has a strong financial interest in GMO corn. You (and many others) can believe what you like. The rest of us will be over here with the science and data.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-17-2018 09:28 AM
Nature has published a large meta-analysis of the results of studies done for 20 years of global GMO corn, examining the impact on crop yields, disease and pest control, soil and environmental impacts. This should be the final nail in the coffin for this argument, but we all know it won't be. Much of it would be difficult for the lay reader, but If you wish to read it it's called: Impact of genetically engineered maize on agronomic, environmental and toxicological traits: a meta-analysis of 21 years of field data
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-16-2018 22:03 PM
Ncal never supports any of his ridiculousness. Learn this quickly and save yourself some grief.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       02-16-2018 11:17 AM
Se up an appointment to power wash my roof and driveway today. They were supposed to be here at 9. Call at 10:06 - we'll be there in 20 minutes. I call them at 11:10 - where are you? "Just around the corner there in 5 minutes" Motherfuckers... 9 am and you show up after 11?
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       02-15-2018 16:19 PM
Oooooo......
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 15:29 PM
Holy shitballs. I googled it because I thought you had to be full of shit. Penn State is FAR higher than other states for in-state tuition. WTF. That kind of cost is almost enough to justify moving to another state. Holy crap.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 14:07 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing with that, tbr. I'm suggesting that the kid with the worthless degree and $200,000 student loans doesn't need to happen.This is going to sound harsh, but if a state school won't accept you I wonder if it's a good idea to educate you further at all. A in-state tuition even with room and board costs at most $25k a year. If the kid gets NO help from family and works for even $10k a year at a part time job (no summer semester), don't understand how a 4-year degree can leave you more than around $75k in the hole.
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       02-15-2018 13:51 PM
The box of Froot Loops fall over? :)
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 13:50 PM
True re; Starbucks. My daughter worked there for a couple of years and got free tuition through ASU...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 13:45 PM
"If you want to make judgments about bad economic decisions and predatory vendors, how about encouraging someone to run up $100,000 in student debt to get a liberal arts degree that qualifies a person to be a barista at Starbucks?" --------Who's encouraging them? You'll hear from me all damn day, provided you're willing to listen, that that's a seriously bad economic move. I'm not going to stop them, though. "I think questioning people's personal economic decisions is always patronizing." -------I only question it when they are looking for a way to make it my problem. "People have the right to make stupid choices." ------Sure do. So what's your damage with respect to your first statement, which seems out of step with this one? ------------ You can't have it both ways - you can't insist that everyone should go to college, make student loans easy to get for any dumb reason, and then act surprised that this is the result. By "you" I refer to our society in general, not "you".
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 13:39 PM
Well, you can see it that way, Current. I guess that's the new normal. I knew almost nobody going to school that didn't have at least a part time job. I worked 20-25 hours a week on top of a science student's schedule, and that was normal. Mrs. VA worked 25 hours a week on top of a nursing student's schedule, and that was normal. And I'm not talking about 50 years ago. Maybe that's why college was so rough.. working like crazy and raising kids instead of drinking and partying. I made some bad decisions I guess. Maybe you don't think it's right to suggest that a college student you're advising get a part time job while in college, but I'm not going to agree with you. Even 10 hours a week at Washington minimum wage would offset their cost of living by $5,700 a year - pretty significant.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 12:42 PM
Yeah the cost of private universities can be staggering. Can they be worth it? Maybe. I don't know. In my experience, unless you went to Harvard or something, once you've been out in the workforce for a while nobody gives a damn with respect to what school you went to. The prestige of your alma mater doesn't seem to make a difference once you've been out for a while. There may be some exceptions. Sometimes I wonder what drives people to do it. They could live with Mom and Dad and pay $7,000 a year, but instead they want to go to a private school across the country and pay $40k. Why?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 11:55 AM
I looked here for some better numbers - w ww.flbog.e du/board/office/budget/tuition.php There is an excel sheet for 2017-2018 costs for in-state students. I'm not counting costs like laundry, cell phone, transportation for the purposes of comparison because I don't consider that to be a "school" cost - more like a "living in the United States" cost. The average *per semester* cost in FL is $3,594 (tuition, fees, and books and supplies), plus $5,158 room and board = $8,751. No public school in Florida exceeds $19k per year, including books, supplies, tuition, fees, and room and board.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 11:44 AM
I wasn't counting room and board. And it's a *'public" i.e. state university? My googling tells me that there are 12 universities in the FL system, and the highest of those was U of Central FL, with annual tuition and fees of $6,368 last year for in-state. Room and board was $14,734. So.. I dunno what's gong on with the situation you're describing... if I've got something wrong please tell me. The differential between in- and out-of state tuition for all state schools in FL looks to be around 300%, not just a few hundred $.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 10:29 AM
Revision: I did have student loans, but not for college. We took out student loans for our kid's private schooling in high school. We are still paying those off today.
What's for Dinner
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Dinner       02-15-2018 10:27 AM
I made a pot roast with potatoes and carrots last night. Nailed it.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 10:25 AM
I've never had a student loan in the US, but our daughter has. It seems to be similar. One noticeable difference is that STEM graduate students usually pay tuition in Canada, whereas in the US it seems they do not. While there was a proposal to tax tuition waivers as income in the latest tax overhaul (this didn't happen), in Canada this was the norm. If you were granted a tuition waiver (as I was in my last 2 years as part of a scholarship award) you are taxed on the waiver. Or at least you were in 2000-2002.... The public university system in the US and Canada seem to be similar. You apply and you're either admitted or you aren't. There is the equivalent of in-state vs out of state tuition. Right now "in-province" in Ontario is around $8,000 a year, whereas the US average is about $9,500. Not too different. The US though also has private colleges, which are rare in Canada. THIS is where you get your $200,000 loans that we hear about. I want to say Mrs. VA's Canadian student loans totaled about $90,000 by the time she graduated in 2000. One major problem we had was that we came to this country with me having a pretty good job offer, but around $4,000 in cash leftover from the sale of our house (and paying off our non-student loan debts)., but we had nothing in terms of credit. I had to get my employer to cosign our lease so we could rent an apartment, because as far as the American system was concerned I was born on September 4, 2002, the day my Social Security number was issued. We had to put cash deposits on EVERYTHING and building a life that way was awfully difficult. Even though I made decent money it was difficult to do well for the first year or so due to our inability to access the financial system. We came with little in the way of furniture (all of our stuff in Canada was junk) and we didn't realize how difficult it would be to be "reborn" in another country. Well, plus - Mrs. VA was born in Texas and thus was an American citizen, with a SSN, but had never lived in the US or made any money here, so she had never filed US taxes. One of the first problems we had was the IRS jumping all over Mrs. VA for having been a life long tax delinquent (she had no idea she had to file taxes in the US as a citizen living abroad), and what little money we had went to a tax lawyer and accountant to back-file for 10 years and settle everything with the IRS. What a rude welcome!!!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-15-2018 07:58 AM
A stipend was a salary of sorts paid to me by the university as sort of an apprenticeship. This was (and still is) very normal for graduate students. As part of it we also had to teach undergraduate lab courses and be available to assist faculty with grading exams etc. My loans were quite small, around $12,000 all in. Mrs VA's were much higher.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 17:04 PM
I had some financial help from my parents through my undergraduate degree, but grad school was entirely on me. At the time, the annual stipend was $15,000 a year, but I had to pay tuition out of that to the tune of about $6,500 a year, leaving me with $8,500 per year. At the time (I don't know if this is true anymore) it was illegal for graduate students in Ontario to work aside from their commitments to the University, but I made some extra money tutoring undergrads and high school kids. Mrs. VA went through nursing school at the same time, and worked at nursing homes and home health agencies while going. She began working full time as a nurse in late 2000 which helped quite a bit. The last of my student loan money was paid off in 2009. Mrs. VA's in 2011.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 17:00 PM
Both Brazil and Colombia have begun amassing their militaries at their borders with Venezuela. Venezuela has accused them of plotting an invasion. They insist it's to secure their borders and at least have some sort of order and control over the tens of thousands of refugees Venezuela is hemorrhaging every week now. Colombia is asking for global aid at dealing with the hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans sleeping in fields and tents in their country. Peru is hosting a regional meeting for discussing the mess, and has un-invited Venezuelan president Maduro from attending.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 16:50 PM
Mass shooting at south Florida school. Little info now, other than at least 20 shot and "multiple fatalities". Fuck....
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 15:40 PM
I grew up in southern Ontario. We weren't poor growing up, really. But my now wife and I became poor when we made the brilliant decisions to have children as teenagers. From the early 90s to early 2000s we lived in public housing and then owned our own shitty house in a shitty neighborhood (which was a huge mistake). I know what it's like to rummage through the house to try to find $3 so we can buy chicken weiners and buns for dinner, or make strategic decisions about how long a bill payment would take to arrive in the mail, and can we get away with "borrowing" some of that money for a few days until other expected money comes in. I remember what it's like when "found" money in some way (such as an income tax refund) led to an immediate splurge, so we could feel like we had money, if even just for a couple of days. We worked opposite hours most of the time because we couldn't afford child care. But we never starved, the kids always had clothes, and the bills (usually) got paid on time. We were pretty unhappy, mostly, but one thing we never did was blame anyone else for our situation. I can't say the same for the other poor people we knew. I saw people skip their rent payment to buy a TV instead. WTF are you thinking? Other people sell their shit to pawn shops in the last days of a month/pay cycle and then buy it all back when they get paid, only to do it all again next month. They just didn't get how much this cost them. And when they DID get some money, they'd spend it on something stupid instead of catching up on their bills. I remember one guy explaining to me that the rich have different, secret tax forms. He explained the different "levels" and "bonuses" you get if you make it to certain thresholds. Like Yahtzee. If you played it right you got a lot of money at the end. People really believe this shit.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 15:19 PM
BTW don't get me wrong.. I'm not complaining about my life, and I'm not resentful of people who need help. But I lived for a long time on the "other" side of the demographic spectrum and I was then, and still am, taken aback by the breathtakingly stupid decisions I see made by the people who reside there and their complete inability to examine them in hindsight to understand why things never seem to work out. One of the most important rules to remember is to never leave (or let your kids leave) anything of any value at anyone else's place, especially between the 22nd and 30th of the month.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 15:06 PM
I certainly won't defend the state unlawfully denying benefits. As for resenting bad decisions - I think people mostly only resent their bad decisions when they believe it's going to impact *them*. In other words, I don't care if a poor person smokes $500 a month in cigs, but I do if they then want my money because they can't afford food. Likewise I don't especially care if someone buys 4,000 Louis Vitton handbags and then dumps them in a river, but I do if they then try to somehow get me the taxpayer to cover their losses. I see resentment everywhere. Didn't BT once refer to where I live as the haven of the 1%? We get a lot of snide comments from former friends from our past life and family members about the changes in our circumstances. In spite of my persona here, I try to avoid talking about it with them, since I'd rather not fight.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 14:52 PM
I don't see how any of what you said related to anything MissMolly said, tbr. As for cigs and lottery being cheap - what? Although apparently only 29% of people below the poverty line are smokers (a number I have an awfully hard time reconciling with my experience, but OK) , if they smoke 1 pack a day at $6 a pack that's $185 or so a month. If it's a two-adult household, it's probably both or neither are smokers, so some would be $350 a month, or even more. I don't especially care if they spend their money this way, but it's when they do it and then claim they can't afford (whatever). I personally knew many people in our old days who would constantly say they don't have money for food and i could see 6 people in their house lighting up. It would burn me up.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 14:47 PM
"Bernie Madoff anyone? Louis Vuitton bags? Kate Spade anything?) and it doesn't engender resentment among people in a different income class. " No resentment among people of a different income class? Have you logged on to the internet in the last 20 years? Goodgollymissmolly, I've generally liked what I've seen you read, but the rest of your post was just a giant heap of redirection. "I see you're unhappy when you believe that poor people misuse their social assistance. But let's not talk about that - Wells Fargo! Volkswagen!". Dismissing one problem by simply citing an unrelated one can go on forever, can't it?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 13:26 PM
I guess what irritates me is the rather pervasive wastefulness of people who claim they can't afford food but are highly likely to be smokers and play a lot of lottery, which probably speaks to a general trend of poorer people making worse decisions overall in life. Having been poor myself once I remember some of the very stupid decisions we made, although in retrospect we seemed like geniuses compared to some of our neighbors and the ridiculous schemes they would concoct. Watching the Florida Project brought me back to our last stint in public housing in Niagara Falls in the mid-90s, although we lived in a bona fide ghetto for a number of years after that. I don't resent their need.... I guess I just wish I could see some sort of endgame or progress. It doesn't matter what we do - every single year of my life it seems that we are told that the poor are worse off than the year before.
Post of the day award
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Post of the day award       02-14-2018 13:16 PM
Most of us have blocked ncal. We long ago realized that he is an absolute waste of time to have any meaningful conversation with - about almost anything. I could probably ask him what he thinks of getting long, slow satisfying blowjobs and he'd find a way to answer in a way that makes me want to take a dump in the back seat of his car.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 12:59 PM
I saw a seafood market in Sanford Florida with a professionally made sign out front of it that read, exactly like this: "WE BE ACCEPTIN EBT" Not that I object to people on EBT buying fresh seafood. I just found the idea that someone ordered such a sign, someone made it, then they displayed it - all without anyone questioning the, shall we say, vernacular. I'm sure tbr has a better grip on what extent such programs are used and abused. I have no doubt that significant abuses happen, and I have no doubt that many people try their best to eat the best food they can. I don't object to the concept in principle. The thing that irritates me the most about it is how people complain that you can't feed a family off of it. It's not intended to be the sole source of food, and many people have come to regard it as a part of their income as if it's something they are owed. Pride would likely prevent me from resorting to using it unless I was absolutely up against a wall. No idea if we qualified for such programs when we lived in Canada... never looked into it.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 11:42 AM
Oh never mind it was Perf. Didn't read that far back.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-14-2018 11:40 AM
I dunno who posted about the proposed SNAP changes.. all I see is tbr's and Fokker's reply. There is a great online guide called "Cheap Eats" about cooking good food on a SNAP budget. I shared it to my fb for the millenials/college students I know.
So, whatcha drinking
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > So, whatcha drinking       02-13-2018 18:59 PM
"debotchery" Hehe. The ghost of Frank creates our typos. "Buffalo Trace and Amarretto" Bourbon and amaretto (or in my case, Disoranno) is known as, according to a book I have, a "Godfather". This was apparently once a much more popular drink, known to be well-enjoyed by "swingers", in the 1960s sense of the word. It also happens to be my favorite mixed drink. I prefer it to be 3:2 bourbon to Disoranno, and the bourbon should be very high proof, such as Bookers. On ice, of course. We found a friend of ours who enjoyed a few on our pool deck at 5 am once.
What's your WOD (workout of the day)
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-13-2018 15:31 PM
Cool story bro.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       02-13-2018 09:45 AM
You are more than the sum of what you consume Desire is not an occupation You are alternately thrilled and desperate Sky high and fucked - Nicole Blackman
Jokes and Funnies feel free to add your own
FORUMS > General Discussions > Jokes and Funnies > Jokes and Funnies feel free to add your own       02-12-2018 17:05 PM
I recall my first time with a condom, I went in to buy a packet of condoms at the pharmacy. There was this beautiful woman assistant behind the counter, and she could see that I was new at it. She handed me the package and asked if I knew how to wear one. I honestly answered, ‘No, this is my first time.’ So she unwrapped the package, took one out and slipped it over her thumb. She cautioned me to make sure it was on tight and secure. I apparently still looked confused. So, she looked all around the store to see if it was empty. It was empty. ‘Just a minute,’ she said, and walked to the door, and locked it. Taking my hand, she led me into the back room, unbuttoned her blouse and removed it. She unhooked her bra and laid it aside. ‘Do these excite you?’ She asked. Well, I was so dumb-struck that all I could do was nod my head. She then said it was time to slip the condom on. As I was slipping it on, she dropped her skirt, removed her panties and lay down on a desk. ‘Well, come on’, she said, ‘We don’t have much time.’ So I climbed on her. It was so wonderful, that unfortunately, I could no longer hold back and KAPOWWWWWWWW, I was done within a few moments. She looked at me with a bit of a frown. ‘Did you put that condom on?’ she asked. I said, ‘I sure did,’ and held up my thumb to show her.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-11-2018 21:25 PM
"Fun" (most like "interesting", in a morbid way) fact: while the forced marriage of women and girls (and sometimes young boys) has been known worldwide throughout history, the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar record a signficant amount of a phenomenon known as groom kidnapping. Demands of a dowry (always from the bride's family) for marriage have been illegal in India since 1961 but the practice is still widespread, especially in poor and rural areas. In Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, two of the poorest and most underdeveloped areas of India, the families of women have taken to hiring armed gangs to locate bachelors (typically educated or from prominent families) which they otherwise could never afford to satisfy with a dowry and quite literally kidnap them and force them to marry. The "weddings" are celebrated by the bride's family (and in modern times, recorded like any other), complete with the groom tied up if he is deemed a flight risk. At least 1,200 such weddings happen a year in Uttar Pradesh alone, and that's just what's reported. Unfortunately, the men (or their families) that report them don't usually have much recourse. If the groom tries to extricate himself from the marriage, he faces lengthy legal battles and even criminal charges under Indian Dowry law, which is geared towards protecting the rights of women in the marriage as in most cases, the bride's family is financially strong and politically connected. Over the years, organized criminals have become part of the practice, as they carry out abductions for a fee and also guarantee post-marriage "compliance" by the groom for an extra fee. Thus many such marriages go unreported and often continue under fear of violence from local criminals. Crazy zhit.
Recent Movies
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Recent Movies       02-11-2018 14:52 PM
You buy movie tickets through TicketMaster? I guess movie tickets can be up around $15 for IMAX-3Ds etc here. Here I can go to a regular movie for $8 and a 32 oz beer to guzzle while watching it is $5.50. Popcorn is $2.50, although I rarely eat it.
Wedding rings
FORUMS > General Discussions > Getting Started > Wedding rings       02-11-2018 14:46 PM
Welcome to the fora. This is certainly not a rule I've ever heard of. Some people aren't actually married, some people prefer not to wear them while playing (Mrs VA's engagement ring can be pretty traumatizing to people if she scratches them with it), but we've seen all preferences. I (the male half) absolutely always have mine on.
Recent Movies
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Recent Movies       02-11-2018 13:09 PM
$40? Oh right. New Jersey.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-11-2018 11:09 AM
This is my fourth - and hopefully last - day of missing a workout due to my now trailing away cold.
Recent Movies
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Recent Movies       02-11-2018 11:03 AM
Finally saw The Florida Project. It really was a great movie, although as some have said - you likely won't want to watch it a second time.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       02-11-2018 11:01 AM
I fucking hate the way Olympic "coverage" is done. When I want to watch the Olympics, I want to see skiing... bobsledding... whatever. Action. Competition. But there is very little of that actually shown. Out of one hour of TV air time, there might be 6 minutes of that. Most of the rest is the sun coming up while some athlete in Iowa is lacing up her skates, eating breakfast with her Dad/trainer... athlete profiles and interviews. Or the history of some town in wherever they are. It's almost impossible to find any actual winter games going on.
Are we wasting our time?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Getting Started > Are we wasting our time?       02-10-2018 22:39 PM
As others have mentioned, your profile is crap. It says you're in your 80s, has no pics, every section has the first I don't know how many words cut off, a lot of negativity. How many profiles like yours have YOU been interested in?
Certifications
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Certifications       02-10-2018 08:03 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who laughed at the idea that there would be someone on the street saying hi to Wayne and introducing themselves as "BestPenisEver".
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-09-2018 16:22 PM
Well, since "Political" news is allowed in here... A 2-year budget deal was passed by congress this morning and signed by the president. For better or for worse... at least a showdown over the budget isn't going to be happening for a while.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-09-2018 11:21 AM
I dunno. How about May 3 - National Lumpy Rug Day?
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-09-2018 10:30 AM
Thanks NJ! Fun Fact #1: Today is National No One Eats Alone Day National Bagel Day (Formerly Bagel and Lox Day) National Pizza Day National Toothache Day Fun Fact#2: Tomorrow is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day National Home Warranty Day National Umbrella Day Fun Fact #3: Most of these are really stupid.
Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest       02-09-2018 10:27 AM
HT: our daughter's cat fell into the pool last night at 4:10 am. He got himself out after only a few seconds and then tore around the outside and inside of the house, eventually slamming into her bedroom door and running into her room. Within seconds I hear her saying "What the HELL?". It was hysterical. FB: it was at 4:10 am and it woke everyone up.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-09-2018 09:03 AM
Missed yesterday and today due to being sick.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-09-2018 08:54 AM
Is there some sort of definitive list of all of the "days" ?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-09-2018 08:53 AM
LQQK Do yourself a favor and block ncal. Most everyone else did long ago.
So, whatcha drinking
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > So, whatcha drinking       02-07-2018 22:45 PM
Holy hell.
So, whatcha drinking
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > So, whatcha drinking       02-07-2018 22:32 PM
Bourbon. In the hot tub. Nothing better for a cold...
What's for Dinner
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Dinner       02-07-2018 20:13 PM
JW: is it possible to get more than one variety of "crud" at the same time? If not, a get-together might be a good, if unspectacular, idea. OT: tacos. Made by others so I don't contaminate.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 17:14 PM
OK - now this is stupid. From Elon Musk via twitter: "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt." That is NOT successful. What the fuck is wrong with everyone calling things crashing, blowing up and flying off into space in places they weren't supposed to go "successful"? Is Elon Musk some sort of magical dick sucker? It was supposed to go into a Mars injection orbit. Instead it is on a trajectory that will take it beyond Mars and it does not have the onboard resources to correct for it. In order to suck Elon's dick more, Clifford V. Johnson, a professor in the physics and astronomy department at USC said: "Either way, they've shown they can get something to Mars or the vicinity of Mars, and that's great," he said of SpaceX. "They've demonstrated that they can get something that big off the surface of the Earth, into Earth orbit, recover most of the vehicle to make the whole thing really cheap … and then further extend the [payload's path] beyond Earth orbit toward Mars." Uh, anything short of things going where they are supposed to go is not a success. Just getting something off the ground and flinging it into space is not a success. Maybe everyone else is taken by Elon and his "dreamer" attitude. Maybe you all love his vision of the future.I do too, but it's idiotic to celebrate all of his successes and always choosing to ignore his often GLARING failures. Again - they accomplished some great things yesterday, but WHY is Elon being allowed to call this a success? It wasn't. Some aspects of it were, but it does not meet the criteria. Meanwhile, the ULA - a joint project of the evil corporations Lockheed and Boeing - routinely puts things where they are supposed to go without exploding them or crashing them. But we don't love them...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest       02-07-2018 15:42 PM
HT: A steady string of guests to our home from Canada and the Northwast, common for the colder months. FB: EVERY ONE OF THEM brings a virus with them that makes us all sick.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 15:18 PM
The crash appears to be due to a calculation error in terms of fueling. While the consequences of the problem (in this instance) are purely SpaceX's to bear, it hurts their credibility some anyway. And I am done with this with you, as you seem to not be getting my point.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 14:47 PM
We will soon, although I'm not talking about the Falcon Heavy specifically. They exploded a couple of Falcon 9's in the last couple of years. But in any case, we will have something even larger again soon. The SLS (I kid you not - Space Launch System) will be trialed next year.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 13:58 PM
I appreciate that he is the new kid on this block, and I find the accomplishment from yesterday to be outstanding, if incomplete. But comparing them to NASA's early days isn't reasonable. We (everyone) is far better now. The "oops" rate with Space-X launches is something like 10%. This is unacceptably high for a human-rated rocket. They will get better. They just aren't there yet.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 13:07 PM
Even then, the costs assume that nothing is damaged or goes wrong. In this case, they destroyed one booster rocket and seriously damaged the landing craft.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       02-07-2018 11:17 AM
"Nature doesn't give a shit if you live or die" - SciBabe
The difference between swinging and the lifestyle
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-07-2018 10:55 AM
Just a quick follow up to Perf's comment. Agreed - to each their own. We're in this for fun. "Fun" is whatever seems like it will be fun at the particular time. It's fluid and fickle, and someone who doesn't seem like fun can quite suddenly seem like a lot more fun given the right circumstances. Your concept of "fun" might not always - or ever - be the same as mine.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-07-2018 10:39 AM
So some of the flat earth idiots are claiming that the entire launch yesterday was a fraud. Nothing happened - there was no launch, the boosters did not return, blah blah blah. Some of their own have even challenged them asking how that could be given the tens of thousands of people who witnessed it in person, not only at the KSC but also all around Titusville and Cape Canaveral. It was easily visible even from Orlando. Probably at least 1 million people witnessed it in some capacity. Yet - they claim that's a fraud too. It's all paid shills - the Sandy Hook people. I am waiting for my check in the mail for helping perpetuate the lie that a launch happened in Florida yesterday. These. People. Are. Fucking. NUTS.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-07-2018 10:23 AM
So as a follow-up to the Space-X launch from yesterday... Firstly, I was blown away to first learn of and then see in person the boosters returning to earth and landing exactly where they were supposed to - upright. Simply incredible. I am sometimes blown away by the feats of science that we humans can achieve. That said, the 3rd booster ran out of fuel and was destroyed on impact with the ocean next to the drone ship, doing significant damage to the ship in the process. Pretty impressive overall, but if Musk hopes that one day NASA will trust his company with live astronauts, he's going to have to have fewer things explode or crash. I'm a little perplexed as to why the 3rd booster failure is not being talked about - if one of the ones returning to Cape Canaveral had smashed into the ground (or worse, landed in a populated area or done some property damage), the footage of it would be all over the news and it would be a huge PR blunder. Instead Musk just laughed about how no footage of the crash exists because of the extensive damage to the drone ship. It was still an amazing thing to see in person.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       02-06-2018 21:11 PM
I'm sick. AGAIN. I really hope it's mild and I'm ok to pitch on Saturday...
HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS - 2018       02-06-2018 20:49 PM
HT: saw the Falcon Heavy lift off today at Cape Canaveral. Totally awesome. HT: saw the static display of shuttle Atlantis there too.
What's for Dinner
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Dinner       02-06-2018 05:29 AM
A couple weeks ago I tried a new recipe for creme fraiche chicken. It was super tasty. Last night I attempted to adapt it to tofu for visiting vegetarians. It didn't work out nearly as well as I had hoped :(
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-05-2018 09:41 AM
Day 2 of month 2 - 56 minutes of Insanity, plus legs. Tomorrow I will skip - I need to be out the door at 7 am to get to the launch site in time to watch the Falcon Heavy take off/blow up.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts and Bitchfest       02-05-2018 03:18 AM
I know what it means and to me it means I need to stay the hell away from you.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-04-2018 19:47 PM
That's good. Glad you're finally beginning to feel better. Today was Day 1 of the second month of Insanity. 59 minutes of sweat. Rough, man. Plus arms.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-04-2018 14:49 PM
Steven Pladl, 42, of Knightdale, and his daughter Katie Pladl, 20, were arrested Jan. 27 and charged with incest, adultery and contributing to delinquency. The maximum sentence for the incest charge is 10 years in prison. Their child, a boy, was born in September. Pladl gave up Katie for adoption when she was an infant. They reunited in 2016 when she tracked him down through social media. At the time, Pladl was living outside Richmond with his wife, Katie’s mother, and their two children, girls who would have been Katie's sisters. At some point their relationship turned sexual. ------------------- This business of adoptees reunited as adults and then having sex with their parents/siblings is actually not *that* unusual. For reasons that I don't know about or understand, while we are hard-wired to be (usually) repulsed by the idea of sex with close family members, this does not seem to apply to close relatives that we didn't grow up with. Reunited siblings are far more likely to engage in incest than those who grow up together. I have no idea why this is the case.
Guitarist for lady rockstar!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Guitarist for lady rockstar!       02-04-2018 14:33 PM
Do you suppose he's an electrician? I'm not sure I quite got it, he only mentioned it 4 times.
whats for dessert
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > whats for dessert       02-03-2018 20:30 PM
For reasons unknown, NJ's legs look dessert-worthy delicious right now. #NotActuallyCannibal
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-03-2018 20:26 PM
Taking today off after no missed days for 2 weeks. Out drinking and partying. Chez- did you stick with the HMB? How did that work out for you? The scientific evidence behind it continues to grow...
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-02-2018 18:36 PM
All wealth is paper wealth. The value of any asset - from a mansion down to a leftover burrito - is worth exactly what someone is willing to trade for it.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-02-2018 15:32 PM
I enjoy many kinds of women. One of my favorites is a French girl who is a scientist like me, albeit she's more of a biologist. But we don't talk about that when she's grinding on my dick. On the other hand, a vapid twit with little else to contribute to conversation other than "like my tits?" can be quite enjoyable too. More than anything we like nice people. They don't have to be brilliant or know much of anything for us to have fun with them.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-02-2018 12:19 PM
We almost never *blame* anyone. It's not difficult to entice people to give it a whirl the first time. But for a second, all 4 have to want to repeat. Sometimes people will give it a second time feeling like maybe it's worth another shot. But for a third or more - all 4 people have to be consistently happy. This is not often achieved. We have a number of consistent friends here now in Florida, but it took a while to establish them.
Pet Peeves
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pet Peeves       02-02-2018 11:20 AM
No, have you tried deleting your cock?
A Song to Suit your current Mood
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       02-02-2018 11:19 AM
I've heard twice about Sinead in the last couple of years. 1. She went on Dr. Phil crying about how her mother abused her. I didn't read the details, but some claimed it was largely a self-promotional move. I don't know. 2. In an interview she complained about how at the age of 50 she is lonely. In this particular interview she complained that she has trouble finding men who are interested in her sexually and that everyone assumes she is a lesbian. A major contributor to people thinking she is a lesbian is her repeated statements proclaiming that she is a lesbian, mostly in the early 2000s, which seemed contrary to her habits of marrying men. She then backtracked stating that while she has had lesbian relationships she's not really a lesbian, and prefers long term romantic relationships with men. She has married 3 men since then and given birth to children fathered by 3 *other* men. I'm quite certain she has some mental health issues. She seems very unhappy and I feel sorry for her, although some of her problems have been her own doing.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-02-2018 11:08 AM
Agreed. To be honest, we rarely get to know people well before we fuck them. We find that actually the longer we know people before the chances of us ever fucking falls away. Problem is - what if you become good friends with people and one couple feels sexual chemistry and the other doesn't? What now? We'd rather turn fuckbuddies into friends than friends into fuckbuddies. Most of our fuckbuddies are once and done. Not by design, really - more like we just don't bump into them again and don't have a way to contact them. As someone nearby in this thread once said - we don't have trouble finding people we want to fuck. We have trouble finding people we want to fuck *again*.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-02-2018 09:51 AM
"Mrs 888 is a ball squeezer and cock slapper" I'll keep that in mind should it ever become relevant.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-02-2018 09:50 AM
It's not the ONLY factor, but it's a big one. I once said something to the effect that looks will make up for lacking personality, and vice versa, to a great extent. I've had a great time with plenty of women who aren't exactly supermodel material, and probably consider themselves quite average, because I enjoyed their personality quite a bit. On the other hand, Scarlett Johansson could probably be screaming Nazi slogans at me and I'd still want to fuck her. Thing is I can judge one much better than the other from pics, although personality sometimes shows in how people hold their composure, and I sometimes see "oh FUCK no!"-inducing text in their profile. But if people are not people we consider at least reasonably attractive from their pics, we're unlikely to bite based on electronic communication alone. If people are smokin' hot and want to meet us, we're likely to overlook a number of other downsides as a result. Think of it as a scorecard. Being really attractive will get most people close to the threshold score at which we want to fuck them. Barring any big negatives we're likely to give it a go at least once.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       02-01-2018 18:32 PM
"You can’t get much more toxic than TBHQ. This synthetic preservative is a form of butane and..." - Food Babe I know there's more, but that's as far as I could get without throwing up.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       02-01-2018 13:36 PM
I'm imagining tbr and Perf at a piano like Archie and Edith. "Those were the DAAAYYYYSSS!"
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       02-01-2018 13:22 PM
Today was day 5 of 6 in a row of the same workout during Insanity's recovery week. Plus arms.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The difference between swinging and the lifestyle       02-01-2018 09:36 AM
Let's be honest here. If you were both 25 years old and smokin' hot, and you had a choice between: 1. other smokin' hot 25 year olds 2. Average people in their late 50s Are you going to sit there and tell me that you'd choose #2?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       02-01-2018 07:16 AM
"Arthritis has to do with gravity, which is a toxin, as soon as you get upside down you take gravity, which is a toxin, and you turn it into a medicine." - David "Avocado" Wolfe. "That's not how The Force Works!!" - Han Solo.
Newest matches
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Newest matches       01-31-2018 23:03 PM
There's a "Website" section of the fora, where you can post your comments and questions for the site staff to ignore. Good luck.
A Song to Suit your current Mood
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       01-31-2018 16:23 PM
NJ, you'll laugh your ass of at this. w w.youtube.co m/watch?v=1yOrrRhUEyE
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       01-31-2018 14:56 PM
I don't dispute that politics is news. I just have almost no faith that anyone can treat politics LIKE news. Most people aren't capable of discussing political news without sounding like Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow. Calling it news is mostly a front for their spewing their politics everywhere.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The day's news. Anything worth conversing about?       01-31-2018 12:17 PM
I don't especially like people using the news thread as their way of scoring political points either, but I don't see how it's different than what Current or Scamp do with this thread much of the time. But whatever. I'm not in charge. I can pout but my pouting has no force behind it.
No smokers on profile
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > No smokers on profile       01-30-2018 14:24 PM
420 smells even worse than cig smoke to me.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       01-30-2018 14:23 PM
I believe that is correct, that it is not routinely indicated for those under 60, as the risk of developing it at that age is low. I'd still say it makes sense to do so, as the alternative (possible hospital stays and even disability in some cases) is much, much more expensive, but I obviously don't have the numbers to run. Even though I think it sucks that many may have to pay for it out of pocket, the $217 or whatever it is doesn't seem like a lot to pay compared with the misery of getting shingles. Most of us have spent $217 on stupider things than that.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       01-30-2018 13:18 PM
Shingles is the chickenpox virus coming back to haunt you, usually after age 65. Even though you cleared the disease you usually continue to carry the virus in your nervous system. About half of people get shingles (since almost everyone old enough had chickenpox when younger), provided they live long enough to do so, and about 5% of people who get it have permanent nervous system damage as a result. I'm told that shingles is very painful and much worse than chickenpox. So. yes you're vulnerable. A vaccine significantly reduces your risk of getting it (although not as well as the chickenpox vaccine does), and also reduces the severity of the disease in the event that you develop it anyway. There is no other protection available - you probably already have the virus. I know I am a broken record on this topic - I am just exposed to new anti-vax bullshit every single day on social media from dummy family members, usually about how "Big Pharma" makes billions off of them blah blah. Vaccines are by far the most cost-effective health measure we have available. A lifetime of vaccinations costs perhaps a thousand dollars.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       01-30-2018 12:30 PM
I got chickenpox around age 8. t was so widespread virtually our entire school had it and they closed down for a week or so. From around 3.7 million cases (around 150 of which died) a year in the US in 1991 to around 300,000 a year. And those people won't be getting shingles later, either. Chickenpox is mostly an economic burden, not a fatality-inducing one.
2018 Bitch of the Day
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > 2018 Bitch of the Day       01-30-2018 12:00 PM
So the latest gack-tastic thing going around in my facebook news feed is \ "SHARE if you had measles, mumps or chickenpox as a kid and you turned out fine!!" Survivor bias at its finest. Do you know who isn't going to share it? The 60 million people who died from mumps and measles between 1950 and 1985. FUCK!!!!
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.