Help
FORUMS
Back
vabeachcouple33    Posts: 25130
Last 100 Displayed

A Song to Suit your current Mood
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       08-30-2016 07:57 AM
Gary Numan - "My Jesus"
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-30-2016 07:57 AM
Well, mostly. I don't think they actually have 30-something year old fax machines, but rather take modern ones and adjust them to mid-70s performance settings. I guess I don't know why I'm complaining... our ability to handle this garbage in the middle of the night is what justifies our paycheck. If it were perfectly packaged and delivered well in advance, a lot of people could do it.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       08-30-2016 07:45 AM
"I'm sick of hearing this shit about me not talking... not true... I have good days, bad days... but I still am a talkin' motherfucker!" - Gene Wilder's most famous costar, Richard Pryor, while near his end.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       08-30-2016 07:35 AM
Every year, annual lists of things stuck in people's bodies are published in various medical journals, and eaten for breakfast by bloggers who find it hilarious. From Mrs. VA's ER nursing days, the oddest thing she ever saw stuck in anyone's body was a 15-year old girl who had managed to get her own fist stuck in her vagina. She was brought in covered in a bedsheet, because that was the only way she'd agree to go to the hospital, if it was guaranteed that absolutely nobody would see her in transit with said fist stuck up in herself. While she was hysterically crying and mortally embarrassed, Mrs VA just had to get her to calm down... and unclench her fist. Out it came. She might have been even more embarrassed to find that she could have saved herself all of this trouble if she had just relaxed for a second and unclenched her fist.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-30-2016 07:32 AM
If you got rid of long necks, you wouldn't be treating as many people who got a beer bottle stuck up their ass either, Inez. I wouldn't imagine that when designing beer bottles, engineering them as improvised weapons or dildos was a strong consideration.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-30-2016 07:28 AM
JW: Do assholes still keep 1977-era fax machines with 150 dpi capability around just so that they can provide the bare minimum as required by law? You wouldn't believe the garbage quality faxes that law firms and hospitals provide when forced by a court to turn over their records. And yes - faxes. The law allows them to send, at minimum, a 150 dpi fax, so that's what they do. Not because it's easier for them, but because it's harder for us. Faxes are still alive and well in our world of work, unfortunately.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-30-2016 07:24 AM
HT: This past weekend's intense work with Mrs VA was a throwback to our old times of killing it at work so hard for a couple of days that we just crash and can't do anything for a short while, and then collect the paycheck at the end. It was sort of a rush, and makes it clear that this is what I need to go back to. Hopefully we can complete this by the New Year, March at the latest.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-29-2016 16:21 PM
Caffeine is often enormously beneficial for headaches.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-29-2016 14:06 PM
Aw that sucks...headaches are hell. Feel better soon..
On the fence with comdoms
FORUMS > General Discussions > Safe Sex > On the fence with comdoms       08-29-2016 09:49 AM
We've always liked the concept of eventually being part of a "closed group" of perhaps 4-6 couples where we all know that everyone's birth control is solid and everyone is tested clean, and nobody plays outside the group, so that we could dispense with them. Of course, this only works if you trust everyone, which is probably why all these years later it's still never happened.
Forummer that you actually met
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Forummer that you actually met       08-29-2016 09:46 AM
Ha! I got the same reminder, because it was a year ago we posted the pics of our day in Louisville the day before.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-29-2016 05:56 AM
HT: Work product delivered. 21 hours of the two of us working with around 2 hours of breaks. 38 hours of Mr & Mrs VA work. FB: My *official* job begins in 2 hours :(
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-29-2016 02:07 AM
So there is an upside to my bitchfest... Mrs. VA and I will be soaking this law firm for about 35 hours of work at a rather steep "emergency" rate. It'll be enough for us to take a vacation.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-28-2016 21:19 PM
You know how in the movies, asshole law firms dump huge amounts of jumbled and often useless documents on opposing counsel at the last minute in order to overwhelm, exhaust, confuse, etc? Well that shit really happens. A lot. I wish a judge would smack the shit out of lawyers who do this. Judge needs our report by 9 am tomorrow. Law firm "finds" tons of missing documents at 11 am on Saturday. No 2 pages in order - it's like they threw them all up in the air and then scanned then at 150 dpi, the minimum required by law, but far too shitty to allow OCR reading or anything other than squinting humans. ASSHOLES!!!!!
What's your WOD (workout of the day)
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       08-28-2016 08:30 AM
One with a 50 cal attached?
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-28-2016 08:29 AM
We came in 3rd place at the regional trivia thingie, out of invited 17 teams. Placed 3rd. Won $100, which was really enough to cover our food and drink while we played...
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-26-2016 21:10 PM
So, I have complained on here about Internet idiot "Food Babe" and her zillions of Babe Bots. I (and anyone else who knows anything about science) of course am not permitted to comment on her posts, so whenever she is called out for her bullshit her staff remove the unwelcome comments and ban those who posted them. However, she was unable to stop the flood from her latest one, where she posted: "You can’t get much more toxic than TBHQ. This synthetic preservative is created from butane (a very toxic gas)...." The "TB" stands for "tert-butyl". What is implied here is that something containing a tert-butyl moiety is somehow bad for you because it has four carbon atoms strung together. Butter contains lots of butyl-ish things (hence the origin of the name "butyl") and only an abject idiot would say that butter was some insanely toxic stuff. Snopes has now opened up an article on this ridiculousness and a flood - FLOOD - of scientist and medical professionals jumped all over her. Her minions have been hard at work trying to remove it all, but it's hysterical to watch. I know most people don't understand why I care, or even think I'm an outright jerk for always being on the backs of people like this, but I get warm fuzzies when I watch them go too far. She's recently embraced other wacko stuff like the vaccine controversies. Glad to see her on the way to the dustbin of the Internet.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-26-2016 20:46 PM
Well, not that I believe that what goes on in my head actually influences the outcome of events for someone in New Jersey, but good juju for you anyway :)
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       08-26-2016 18:27 PM
My suspicion is that the person in question is new to their job or otherwise unfamiliar with the subject area, and is too embarrassed to ask coworkers. Or is just fucking lazy. Or is just fucking stupid.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       08-26-2016 16:12 PM
I swear to you, this is true. Not 30 minutes ago, a representative at the largest health insurer in the United States asked my boss, who then asked me, for a list of ICD-10 procedure codes (medical codes used in coding/medical records/billing). I am flummoxed as to why the largest insurer - who regularly handles data with said codes on a gigantic scale - who publishes books on how to use them - doesn't seem to have them on-hand, or knows how to get them. I mean - you quite literally just google 2016 icd-10-cm codes. 1st non-ad hit is the CMS link. Duuuh... Whatever. They paid for my time. All 2 minutes of it.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-26-2016 12:43 PM
Sort of on topic - with respect to how people get their "information" these days, and the rise of bullshit. A short while ago, the Russian network REN aired a "documentary" about all of the bad things "The Jews" have done. It was alleged that a group of “300 Jews, Illuminati and Freemasons” was behind the sinking of the Titanic in order to cause an international crisis and take over the world. They also (apparently) caused the Chernobyl disaster, the collapse of the USSR in 1991 and 9/11, stating that the “Arab terrorists were unjustly blamed for the attacks”. The Jewish Post picked up the story and ran it on their website. Within minutes it was everywhere, and the comments they were a-flowin'... “Hadn’t heard about the Chernobyl connection before”. “Nice work, REN TV”. “The only one that’s not news is Chernobyl but it is no surprise. And by Jews we are talking the Zionist Cabal with their Archon blood”. A large number of people thinking that this story being ran was somehow supportive of the allegations has resulted in even more people than ever believing this tripe. They will remember reading the story, but none of the follow-up debunkings.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       08-26-2016 10:53 AM
PIzza to mouth/chewing/swallowing supersets. Approx. 200 reps.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-26-2016 07:51 AM
HT: Mrs VA and I cleaned up again at trivia last night. We will be playing on Saturday in a 20-team regional contest. I know, kinda lame. But there's $600 cash on the table for the top 3 teams....I'm hoping for the rain so I don't have a conflict with my baseball game.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       08-25-2016 18:56 PM
"Watch You Fall" - The Sweetest Condition She sounds like Shirley Manson and looks like Leelee Sobieski.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 11:31 AM
I don't think such things can be easily quantified. Like, we might almost all agree that Jennifer Lopez's ass is "better" than Roseanne Arnold's. But is it 4 times better? 400 times better?
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 11:18 AM
Almost everyone is smart at times and dumb at times. The proportion of the two is what distinguishes everyone.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 10:58 AM
I want to say you're right, but I'm trying to avoid speaking confidently based on a gut feeling :) I dunno.... I think it ebbs and flows. Once upon a time this country was in a state of showdown between the KKK and the Wobblies. More polarized now than in 1996? Yeah. Than in 1968? 1924? 1863? I don't think so.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 10:47 AM
Well.... Perhaps it's more like it exaggerates everyone's tendencies. Dumb people become even dumber. Smart people become even smarter. Once upon a time it was a LOT of work to research something so that you could speak confidently about it. In previous times, dumb people would speak confidently about it, and smart people would not. Now, dumb people still speak confidently about it, but with a computer and a little time, smart people can too, and better yet they'll be right. Problem: a lot of dumb people think they are smart people.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-25-2016 10:41 AM
Woo hoo!
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 10:36 AM
I'm not sure if you've changed anything either, Z. You might be the most stalwart of all.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 10:02 AM
Btw - are people really more gullible now, or are you and I, as we grow older and wiser, less gullible, thereby making everyone else seem more gullible? I look back at the stupid stuff people used to believe and repeat when I was younger, and I'm not sure that it's any stupider now. But (I think) I'm better able to discern fact from crap now than I was then, so it never really bothered me when I was young. I didn't really know the difference.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Safe Sex > On the fence with comdoms       08-25-2016 08:50 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Even the worst batter will hit a home run once in a while, given enough at bats. But Mickey is absolutely correct with respect to how many people preach condoms but don't practice it.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-25-2016 08:45 AM
One of the shitty things about the whole 2nd job thing is that I walk out of one office at 6 pm, have dinner, and then walk into another and work until 11 pm. This is exhausting. I hope we only need to do this until perhaps Christmas.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-25-2016 08:43 AM
"the sample here is prolly not representative of the general population" Right, but by "has anyone changed their mind", I meant anyone here. i.e. most of us here,quite possibly all of us, are ideologues, so why do we even argue? "But it is disturbing to me that large swaths of that population are increasingly gullible in accepting things as "fact" that simply are not true. " Oh dear God yes. I'm sure I'm not immune to it, but I try to vet anything that I plan to "tuck away", and *especially* if I intend to repeat it to anyone else. I find it extremely embarrassing to repeat someone else's bullshit, so I take great pains to avoid doing so. I'm obviously not perfect and have been caught with my pants down, but not very often. What *I* find most disturbing is that the media itself doesn't seem to be vetting things properly anymore, and many news web sites print op/ed pieces while taking no responsibility for what they say. It's much much harder for the average person to just read the news and know what's fact and what's crap than it once was. At least, I think so. It was so much harder to vet a news story in 1983 than it is now, so who knows - maybe Dan Rather was giving us horseshit every night then too.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Safe Sex > On the fence with comdoms       08-24-2016 06:37 AM
Yes, the distinction is a small one and mostly meant to make people feel better, which is pretty lame IMO. I just wondered why someone below said "effective in protecting against STD's and worse yet, STI's". STD's are preferable to STI's? Anyway - just found it to be an odd statement.
What A Great Name For A Rockband!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What A Great Name For A Rockband!       08-24-2016 00:30 AM
The Adorable Magnetic Breasts "Went to get a beer and now I'm stuck to the fridge"
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-24-2016 00:29 AM
Is that MonDieu?
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-23-2016 22:58 PM
Good luck JG!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Safe Sex > On the fence with comdoms       08-23-2016 21:54 PM
What's the difference between an STD and an STI?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       08-23-2016 21:52 PM
Insanity Back in again... ugh!
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-23-2016 21:44 PM
Yes indeed. I was quite green to the whole business of operating a company. We touched a nerve with someone - somewhere - and set off a chain of events which scared us out of running a company. For a while. No longer.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       08-23-2016 21:42 PM
"Ghost in the Machine" - Battle Scream (NJ - you like EDM you might like that Head Trip song)
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-23-2016 21:41 PM
Yeah, I mean, I am fucking the President. A wise person from Louisiana (some asshat named Fun) kindly suggested I remove the rant I made about my company and some of our legal issues, including speculation about no-goodness at the DOJ, as I made several statements pertaining to a then-active legal case. The case is still active! 6 years later! So while the thread I created in Politics is still there, everything I wrote in it is gone. I was so angry when I wrote it, I wasn't thinking properly. Why is the excitement of giving your two weeks so intense? I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a serious boner over the prospect of moving on to something more exciting. Onward and upward!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       08-23-2016 21:32 PM
"On the Floor" - Head Trip (Dance mothafucka...)
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-23-2016 21:30 PM
HT: Promoted to Vice President at my second job. FB: That puts me at the bottom of the company, since Mrs. VA is President and there are no other employees. :P My role is passive for the time being, perhaps 10 hours a week. Mrs. VA's company is picking up some steam and I hope that within a couple of months revenue will support my leaving my current job and moving over to her full-time. 6 years ago we ventured out on our own with a company, and within 6 months we were making gangsta cash, working whenever we wanted, traveling wherever we wanted. It was awesome. Within a year the IRS didn't like our classification of how we did business with 1099s (we learned some lessons the hard way) and we allowed ourselves to become engulfed in another small business. The sordid details of that story I'll keep tucked away. For a while we did great, but gradually became employees of someone else, making less money than before. When the bonuses dried up as boss-lady (not Mrs. VA) has mismanaged her company out of profitability, we are making less than half of what we made on our own. Mrs. VA decided in January to go back to "our" company again. I'm hanging on as a full-time employee at my current job until her business is stable enough to justify me joining her once again. We are far more educated in our field and well-connected than before. The DOJ and other AG offices have come flocking to us quite enthusiastically, as have law firms and clinical practices. I am excited about the changes to come. We are no longer just analysts - we are testifying experts upending hospitals and putting the bad guys away. Yeah, we wanna choke each other working together sometimes, and for now my dual-employment is a secret from my primary employer. But life will return to the splendor of 2011-2012. Things are ramping up quickly and I couldn't be more excited.
Jill Stein
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Jill Stein       08-23-2016 19:43 PM
Write in "Giant Meteor". Look it up.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-23-2016 08:51 AM
Kibbs, while I would love to be drilling your mouth, I nevertheless wish you well with your surgery today.
Popup for HotDates
FORUMS > Suggestions > Website > Popup for HotDates       08-22-2016 18:08 PM
So after 2 years of a useless popup that blocks most of the screen on a phone (and tech support acknowledges this), do you suppose you could either fix it or get rid of it? I'll wait here.
Vacation Home Rental With Others
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Vacation Home Rental With Others       08-21-2016 19:05 PM
Sounds like asking for trouble, hosers. Bring some Timmie's and you'll be OK. - My in-laws live in Stittsville.
Wow Trump has destroyed GOP completely
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Wow Trump has destroyed GOP completely       08-21-2016 12:06 PM
Is this guy here to take over for Robert, more than 60 days offline?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What A Great Name For A Rockband!       08-21-2016 11:56 AM
502 and the Bad Gateways - nginx - B-side: 404 error
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > What's your WOD (workout of the day)       08-20-2016 23:06 PM
9 innings of pitching.
What's for Dinner
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Dinner       08-20-2016 23:01 PM
GACK! Although if you like them, and many do, all power to you. I like some vegetables that some hate, like asparagus and my favorite, broccolini (which tastes quite different from broccoli). We had pizza. Exciting, I know.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-20-2016 21:45 PM
"If anything, people seem to only dig their heels in further."
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       08-20-2016 17:59 PM
Fun fact: The US government still pays exactly one Civil War pension $73.13 a month - to 86 year old Irene Triplett, whose father Mose Triplett served in the Confederate Army in 1862 but then deserted and joined the Union Army. He was born in 1846 and fathered Irene at the age of 84, dying at age 96. If his daughter lives as long, it'll be another 10 years until the Civil War is completely off the books of the government.
NOT GIVEN A CHANCE!!!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > NOT GIVEN A CHANCE!!!       08-20-2016 15:55 PM
What I didn't see from the OP was the type of couples that they are contacting. If they are contacting couples of similar body types, I would expect a better return rate. If the wife is contacting couples with 6-pack dudes she wants to bang, I can't imagine the guy's wife saying "yeah...I'm tired of fucking a Calvin Klein model...gimme a big guy." It IS a shallow game. This is reality. I can't even tell you how much more interest we got when Mrs VA lost 100 pounds, and then even more when I lost 30. I'm sure if you contact similar couples you'll find some success. They are out there.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-20-2016 15:17 PM
My balls were magnificent today, Peghey. I did not, however, fare well with my wood. 1 for 6.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-20-2016 15:15 PM
Btw... This isn't specific to this forum. Anywhere online is the same way. No amount of arguing seems to make any difference, no matter the medium. Perhaps over long periods of time people do drift in their opinions, but you'd never know it.
What's the point?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > What's the point?       08-20-2016 15:13 PM
Once upon a time, Maritimers began a thread called "25 threads about guns". He asked if anyone, out of all of the arguing, insults, facts, non-facts etc, had had any change of heart whatsoever. I don't recall even one person saying that they had changed their mind. I'll ask it again, only more broadly - has anyone actually changed their mind? If anything, people seem to only dig their heels in further. Have any conswervatives seen the error of their ways and rejected GOPoop? Have any libtards quit their unions and turned on Owebama? I've been here around 8 years now, I think. A few have been around even longer. Has ANYTHING changed other than the cast of characters and the specifics of the topics? I doubt I've changed anyone's mind and nobody's changed mine. I say no. This is a waste. I've been politics-free on here now for a few weeks and it's awesome. I don't see any benefit any more. I hope I can stay away.
Latest received or given Blow Job
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Latest received or given Blow Job       08-20-2016 15:03 PM
That seems awfully specific for hopes for one party. Have you been promised such fine treatment? In either case - good luck...
Welcome to the all new Polyamory Forum
FORUMS > General Discussions > Polyamory > Welcome to the all new Polyamory Forum       08-20-2016 15:01 PM
I'm not poly, but your use of the word "concomitant" made me develop feelings for you. Oh - by "feelings" - I mean that I'm now sporting an erection.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       08-20-2016 14:58 PM
"Your political rant on Facebook totally changed my mind." - absolutely NOBODY
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-20-2016 14:47 PM
I must credit my fielders today, as they saved me more than once. Especially in the first 3 innings.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-20-2016 14:26 PM
HT: totally dominated on the mound today. 10-0 win. 5 hits, 1 walk, 9 K's. My first shutout in a long time. My fastball was totally dominating.
Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-18-2016 15:23 PM
Ahhh Erica. Them was some tits, man.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-18-2016 14:16 PM
Make sure you're upwind if you do.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       08-18-2016 11:26 AM
"Kill your darlings" - Mesh. What an awesome song.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-18-2016 11:15 AM
Seeing "DnC" I didn't make the connection to "DNC". I wouldn't have thought much about that. One couple we knew once had a profile name beginning with DemPC couple or something. I'm like oh gawwwwd if you have to say you're politically correct democrats in your profile name you must be a real riot at parties. Turns out his name was "Dempsey".
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-17-2016 15:13 PM
19 is 50 points better.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-17-2016 13:52 PM
Or she wants a BBC who wears stockings....
Whatcha reading
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Whatcha reading       08-16-2016 22:04 PM
I didn't know he had died! If you like science writing for non-scientist readers, I have one for you. Obviously many have heard of "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It's an excellent book, and quite accessible to the lay reader. And since Peghey is a reader I wish to lay.... Another less known book is perhaps my favorite of all. Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris, written in 1988. It's a little longer and the cutting-edge aspect of it is outdated, but it's an excellent read through the history of astronomy and physics. He was nominated for the Pulitzer prize for it.
Recent Movies
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Recent Movies       08-16-2016 16:10 PM
Hardcore Henry One of the most fascinating movies in a long time in terms of its concept and production. I wish the story was better.
Post of the day award
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Post of the day award       08-16-2016 12:55 PM
That would make me about as uninterested in talking to them as if they were openly Trump lovers. I don't care about your politics and I really don't want to talk about it, and something like that in a profile sounds to me like they are spoiling for a fight.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-16-2016 12:53 PM
I am zero expert on this so I must rely on the expertise of others. Apparently there is no question about the legality of it. Whether or not it's "cool" is another matter. Some liken it to sliding into home in baseball. I'm undecided on the sportsmanship aspect, but I'm leaning towards "hey, it ain't cheating...."
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       08-16-2016 12:50 PM
I just made a purchase at a pharmacy. The cashier was this *incredible* chick - holy shit. One of the prettiest most attractive women I've seen in a long time. And nice. Big smile, etc. However..... Her breath just about took off my eyebrows from 6 feet away. Jesus CHRIST...what an incongruency....
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Forummer that you actually met       08-16-2016 11:01 AM
Stupid me... We've also met the Smooths a few times. Duh.
Good morning all. What are your plans today?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Good morning all. What are your plans today?       08-16-2016 09:24 AM
Boring ass stuff. I need to update all of the reference tables I use for the coming 2017 fiscal year. I also have a more interesting project...hunting down surgeons who have billed for multiple cataract removals... you probably haven't got 11 eyes.... My fave was the dentist who billed for filling 5,300 teeth in a patient's mouth. That wasn't our case. The investigator queried as to which species of shark the patient belonged to.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-16-2016 09:09 AM
Haha. A joke among scientists is to answer that question with: Easy. The egg. Animals were laying eggs many millions of years before chickens came along. I know. Science "jokes" aren't funny to most people. I was going to post a rant about salt, but then thought "Na".....
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-16-2016 08:56 AM
Well, at the same time.... Doctors also find themselves faced with patients who "researched" something and are standing in their office believing something ridiculous they read on Facebook. Most of the time the doctor knows that you're not going to hurt yourself by eating eye of newt and therefore give their blessing. Not because they think it will help, but it won't hurt you (usually), and will save them an argument and make you feel better. The Internet is so awash in horseshit that it is difficult for non-experts to discern fact from fallacy. Sometimes it's even hard for experts.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Forummer that you actually met       08-16-2016 06:50 AM
Unfortunately, the only current forum participant we've met is PG. Several past ones - but they are all dormant with respect to their participation or have left SLS entirely.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-16-2016 06:40 AM
There is of course some local fluctuation, and large metro areas (or especially remote areas) can be higher. But it'll usually hit within a dime. This does not account for certain exceptional states, like Alaska or Hawaii, or California which fucks with the cost of gas by virtue of different environmental requirements and excise taxes (40.9 cents per gallon!)
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-16-2016 06:28 AM
I posted this on 10/23/11 - almost 5 years ago. Let's see if it still works. Modifying the numbers based on a different price of crude. The cost of fuel follows a very simple formula (with the pump price lagging behind the price of crude by about 15-25 days, because oil prices are always for "next month's delivery", which means the price of oil today sets the price of gas in 2-4 weeks). Example Price of oil = Barrel price/42 = ~$1.10 (barrel was about $46 3 weeks ago, same as now). Multiply this number by 1.28 to account for profits (for the oil company, refiner, and station) and losses of material (not every drop of oil can be made into gas). Now you have $1.40. Add 14 c/gallon refining costs - now $1.52 22 c/gallon for distribution and marketing now $1.74 Then add Federal excise tax of 18.4 c/gallon = $1.92 Add your state's sales tax (GA 4%) and you should have the price of gas for your state, give or take maybe 15 cents. I arrive at $2.00 flat. ------ In Georgia, the average price of gas right now is $2.02! BOOM BABY! I LOVE MATH!
Blocking single males
FORUMS > Suggestions > New Forums > Blocking single males       08-16-2016 06:14 AM
"However, due to site changes, this automatically blocks those categories. Many people don't know this. " Correct. There *used* to be an extra level of "blockage" - blocked from emailing, but not viewing. AND if you emailed someone whose category was blocked, it provided an exception in their case. But SLS rolled out "improvements" which disabled all of these functions a couple of years ago and never fixed any of them.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-16-2016 06:10 AM
"It is so easy to dismiss symptoms rather than saying, "I don't know what's wrong. I'm sorry. " " That is one of my biggest complaints about medical practitioners, and what tends to separate scientists from "real" doctors. There is no shame for scientists to say "Hmm.. I don't know". But doctors - especially those who have been practicing for a while - rarely do this. However - WHY they do this is interesting to think about. *In my opinion*, this isn't (usually) arrogance, but rather conditioning brought about by the reactions of their patients. If a doctor says "I don't know", their patients immediately lose faith in them and think they are incompetent. Doctors have become conditioned to give a confident and reassuring answer to any question, whether they know it or not. What you have seen from me here might sound like a stalwart defense of MDs but it most certainly is not. There is a vast distinction between medicine and medical practitioners, and a huge number of MDs are bad, bad doctors, by virtue of laziness, arrogance, poor education or just plain apathy. Huge numbers of doctors are ignorant of developments in the field. Doctors themselves are often slow to pick up upon the science. How many do you STILL hear preaching about eggs causing high cholesterol? MDs are not usually scientists themselves but rather rely on scientists for directing their medical practice, yet they are resistant to change and sometimes still insist on throwing virgins into volcanoes. I can tell you that it's interesting to hear doctors ramble on at length about topics often not closely related to medicine, and they are giving the typical schpiels (however you spell that) that you'd read in supermarket "health" tabloids. When they find out that there is an actual scientist in the room they immediately clam up. This might be hard to believe but I don't spend my time with doctors arguing. But they know better than to shoot from the hip about metabolism when they know a medicinal chemist is in the room. Much of what you hear from me I'm sure is the product of my (and Mrs VA's) career, which is to a good extent telling doctors that they suck and sometimes sending them to jail, or at least raiding their bank accounts. I am appalled on almost a daily basis by what I see going on.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-15-2016 21:43 PM
Oh I've seen LOTS on TV (Florida - the mother of all swing states). But those are placed by campaigns, not enthusiastic voters. Big difference. I've seen lots of old Romney McCain and Obama bumper stickers from previous campaigns. I do get a kick out of people who display their entire voting history on their bumper. Tsongas '88? Woo boy...
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-15-2016 21:39 PM
Oh - None of this should be taken to mean that modern medicine is without shortcomings and many unanswered questions. It is imperfect and evolving. But what it does NOT (or should not, anyway) do is cling to discredited and debunked practices because "that's how it's been done for generations." Doctors who do this in spite of scientific establishment to the contrary are not practicing good medicine.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-15-2016 21:35 PM
Oh for the love of... "acupuncture" Acupuncture can't be double-blinded, since a patient knows if they are getting stabbed. But they *can* be subjected to sham acupuncture, where a non-expert practitioner just randomly pokes them all over. Results between an acupuncturist vs random jabbing are not distinguishable. Also, there is no dose response - poking people 2 times once a month as a treatment plan yields the same results as 8 times ten times a month. These results indicate that improvements from acupuncture - no matter the location, frequency or skill of the practitioner - result solely from the patient believing that they've been treated. "chiropractic ("except for back pain"--really?" Yes. Really. Such are the results of scientific study (as opposed to soccer mom testimonials) (apologies to any soccer moms here - wasn't intended for anyone in particular). You do know that chiropractic teaches that ALL human disease results from spinal misalignment? This is easily dismissed as nonsense. Now some chiropractors do appreciate that their practice is far more along the lines of that of a physical therapist, and thus can actually provide some benefit in the area of back pain, but that's it. As for something having been around for eons - I don't understand why anyone would be persuaded by that. We have lots of other discredited things that we did for thousands of years, such as slavery, subjugation of women, and other "gack" worthy things. You can believe they worked, and they believed I'll. Many always will. Disdain? Yes. It is disdain. Disdain for thieves quacks and charlatans who take the money of people because of mystical beliefs that do not stand up to scrutiny, and disdain for those who spread it to others. Believe it or not, I'm easier to get along with in person. I don't talk about these things.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-15-2016 20:54 PM
Sorry for the political intrusion - that was a non-partisan observation. I was just wondering who has been seeing the same thing.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       08-15-2016 20:53 PM
JW if people are seeing the same thing I'm seeing: An almost total lack of any printed campaign materials. Yard signs, bumper stickers - nothing. I can probably count on two hands how many Hillary or Trump bumper stickers I've seen. I'm not sure that I've seen even one yard sign for the presidential race - just some for local races. I don't think many people are eager to vote for anyone this go-around. They may have made up their mind, but they aren't happy.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-15-2016 20:46 PM
Here is the easiest way to spot the difference between science (in this case, medicine) and pseudoscience (in this case, alternative medicine): In science, the burden of proof is on the claimant. In other words, if I claim that I have invented a therapy that will make people's dicks longer, the burden is on ME to provide sound, scientifically conducted experimental data to support it. When it comes to pseudoscience (including almost if not all traditional Chinese medicine, all chiropractic except for back pain, and practically everything you've ever seen on Facebook or offered through an "alternative medicine" provider), the claimants typically turn the burden of proof back onto the naysayers - somehow it became my responsibility to prove that acupuncture is largely ballyhoo. No, it's on the shoulders of the claimants. If you say that your grass clippings cure cancer or whatever, YOU have to prove it. Testimonials, anecdotes, are almost meaningless. Blinded controlled studies are usually non-existent in these fields. Once in a while they are conducted, and if they pass, they are promoted to "medicine", and if not, to the bargain bin to be sold to people as snake oil by the likes of slime balls like David Avocado Wolfe. This isn't about "opinions". This is about results. If an examination of therapy X shows 50% success vs 50% for placebo - it does *nothing*, and one's steadfast belief in it is not something to be admired.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-15-2016 20:30 PM
I have two thoughts here and I will split them into two posts because they are unrelated: "Essential oils" are not one thing. It's like asking what my view on paint is. There are thousands of them. The vast majority haven't been shown to do anything except 1. Smell nice 2. Cause contact dermatitis 3. Some can induce photosensitivity and cause terrible sunburns. But again bear in mind that there is nothing special about them at all - they are just the hydrophobic (fat-soluble) fraction obtained by steam distillation of various plants. I made about 50 g of pure frankincense oil from plant material brought from Libya as a favor to a friend when I was in grad school. The lab smelled for months.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What A Great Name For A Rockband!       08-15-2016 00:01 AM
Rosie.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-14-2016 23:56 PM
So I thought a fair bit about whether or not I would reply to the comments on here. I don't like pissing people off, but at the same time, I'm not good at letting things go, and besides - I've already pissed everyone off here at least once, so what's one more? Millions of people "know" that echinacea or Airborne protects them from colds. The problem is that they don't. They take it. They swear by it. But if you subject people to clinical scrutiny everything falls apart. If you take 25 people with an injury (my phone autocorrected "injury" to "INorth" - wtf is that?) and have them put purple ribbons in their hair, probably 75% will report feeling better within 2 weeks. No reasonable person would conclude that the purple ribbons fixed anything. Yet those 20 people would say "it worked for me". Cupping *is* a traditional Chinese medicine practice, and like other TCM practices, has practically no basis in anything tangible and when subjected to scrutiny, it falls apart, proving to be as effective as any other random act. A natural tendency exists in humans to connect whatever just happened to the result one sees, especially causal relationships. I ate a bagel for breakfast and my back pain is better today. Must be the bagel. It's not just humans - I remember learning about a psychology experiment where pigeons (I believe) were put in cages and food would come in randomly. After a while pigeons would start performing random behavior - hopping on one foot, pecking a corner - and researchers soon learned that pigeons were endlessly repeating the action they just happened to be performing the last time food came out. They mistakenly drew the conclusion that that action caused what happened. Casinos are filled with people who had something "work for them" - once - and in spite of not working the next 11 times they keep doing it. The random "works for them" is important - if they NEVER win, people stop gambling - but if they win once in a while that's enough to perpetuate the delusion that what they are doing is "working for them". This is why lotteries have $10 prizes. Most habitual lottery players wouldn't play if it were only for the jackpot. Our ability to discern fallacy from reality is usually very, very poor without rigorous experimentation. Most people here probably have some version of this "I take X every flu season and I never get the flu". Their uncontrolled experiment of n=1 is worthless. They might confirm it with their sister in law who also does it and never gets flu. But their coworker who does it got the flu - it must not "work for them". A rain dance causes favorable weather. Throwing a virgin into a volcano brings a good harvest. Tiger penis soup is an aphrodisiac. Breathing through flowers protects you from the plague. Hundreds of millions of people before you said these things "worked for them" and would rather die than accept otherwise. With all of the love I can offer to my fellow fora participants.... no.... they.... don't.
Fucking Bitchfest 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fucking Bitchfest 2016       08-14-2016 09:23 AM
Sooooo much bullshit...and it's getting worse.... All of these Olympic athletes with hickies all over themselves because of this "cupping" nonsense. Might as well get a tattoo that says "I'm just blindly following some internet bullshit". And if I see one person promoting any more of this "alkaline" diet bullshit, I am going to scream. Since this is virtually guaranteed to happen, I feel sorry for whoever is around when it does.
I'm All About That Vape Life
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > I'm All About That Vape Life       08-10-2016 22:23 PM
"Now it's Miss Couple's turn to try and kick the habit." If it incentivizes her, tell her I'll fuck her if she does. That's if, you know, you're all cool with that...
I'm All About That Vape Life
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > I'm All About That Vape Life       08-10-2016 17:41 PM
Congrats on getting rid of cigarettes. We haven't had any negative capers with vapers.
ms kibbs for president
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > ms kibbs for president       08-09-2016 16:06 PM
DUDE! How have you been?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Profile name - can it be a dealbreaker?       08-09-2016 12:58 PM
Thundertits. Not a deal breaker. She's pretty hot. But the name is hysterical.
Happy Thoughts -- 2016
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Happy Thoughts -- 2016       08-08-2016 23:39 PM
I have 86 unread posts in this thread, so kudos to all for your happy thoughts. My brother and his family drove here from Canada. They leave tomorrow. They stayed for *15* days, 4 of which we were in Denver for. That's a long visit, but it was great. I'm glad they could make it.
Pregnant during swinging
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Pregnant during swinging       08-08-2016 23:36 PM
We knew the female half of a couple who somehow got knocked up by someone, and continued swinging without her husband. We have no idea who Daddy was but everyone strongly suspected she was pregnant by someone else. In spite of "knowing" her for years, I never fucked her, in spite of her efforts. She blew away that chance very early and once any woman treats my wife like the way she treated Mrs VA, I am never going to be more than cordial with her.
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.