Help
FORUMS
Back
vabeachcouple33    Posts: 26881
Last 100 Displayed

Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-27-2017 13:33 PM
The experiment has been used (and rebutted against) as a rationalization for how an entire country can go mad. About how you, a (presumably) good and honest person could be coaxed into murdering innocent people so long as you didn't have to look at them and a quasi-authoritative person told you to do so.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-27-2017 13:31 PM
Not being able to see the person you are executing makes it far easier to do... consider this "Fun Fact" - the Milgram Experiment. Let me preface this with the fact that A) this is from an article trying to make fun of it and B) this interpretation is possibly a little bit much. The Setup: When the prosecution of the Nazis got underway at the Nuremberg Trials, many of the defendants' excuse seemed to revolve around the ideas of, "I'm not really a prick" and, "Hey man, I was just following orders." Yale University psychologist Stanley Milgram wanted to test willingness of subjects to obey an authority figure. The subject was told he was a "teacher" and that his job was to give a memory test to another subject, located in another room. The whole thing was fake and the other subject was an actor. The "teacher" (i.e. the actual subject) was told that whenever the "subject" gave an incorrect answer, he was to press a button that would give him an electric shock. A guy in a lab coat was there to make sure he did it (again no real shock was being delivered, but the subject of course did not know this). The subject was told that the shocks started at 45 volts and would increase with every wrong answer. Each time they pushed the button, the actor on the other end would scream and beg for the subject to stop. The Result: Many subjects began to feel uncomfortable after a certain point, and questioned continuing the experiment. However, each time the guy in the lab coat encouraged them to continue. Most of them did, upping the voltage, delivering shock after shock while the victim screamed. Eventually the actor would start banging on the wall that separated him from the subject, pleading about his heart condition. After further shocks, all sounds from victim's room would cease, indicating he was dead or unconscious. Between 61 and 66 percent of subjects would continue the experiment until it reached the maximum voltage of 450, continuing to deliver shocks after the victim had been zapped into unconsciousness or the afterlife. Repeated studies have shown the same result: Subjects will mindlessly deliver pain to an innocent stranger as long as a dude in a lab coat says it's OK. Most subjects wouldn't begin to object until after 300-volt shocks. Zero of them asked to stop the experiment before that point.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-27-2017 13:23 PM
(I fully appreciate how icky it is to talk about such a thing in practical terms...) From a practical standpoint, rapid poisoning is fairly ideal, as they can simply ventilate the chamber and remove the (mostly) non-messy bodies out to be buried or cremated. Shooting everyone is messy and dangerous (to the executioners). Not to mention that in all likelihood the vast majority of executioners had a huge problem with what they were doing. Dumping something through a ventilation hole into a room where you can't see anyone makes it a little easier to stomach. Actually shooting innocent people requires a much stronger resolve to follow your horrible orders, no matter your personal objections.
Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-27-2017 09:08 AM
"Obama care is the only solution to ensure that everyone is insured and everybody is paying their hospital dues." That doesn't even make sense. I don't imagine that anyone argues that it's the ONLY solution, and under no circumstances is everyone insured or everybody paying.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-27-2017 09:03 AM
"@VA- but there were 2 other gasses used in the chambers also. " You're correct, it wasn't the only one. That's why I said it was the "primary" one. Before that the principle method was carbon monoxide. I believe a certain small number were killed with other gasses, but most were with Zkylon B - the actual poison component was hydrocyanic acid. Fun fact #2: it is now being touted by "alternative medicine" sites as a cancer cure, typically in the form of amygdalin. This is entirely illegal but it still happens.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-26-2017 22:55 PM
Not exactly a "Fun" fact, but... Degesch Chemical continues to manufacture Zyklon B, albeit under different trade names, to this day. Zyklon B was of course the primary poison used in Nazi gas chambers. The use of the material is the same as the original one: a fumigant pesticide. It is of somewhat limited, but still important, utility.
Obituaries
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Obituaries       02-26-2017 20:30 PM
Rain Man's gonna throw a fit on your front porch.
HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017       02-26-2017 14:35 PM
An old (vanilla) friend - a coworker of mine from my previous career living in Virginia - will be here in about 30 minutes. I haven't seen her since April 2010.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-26-2017 12:49 PM
Forgive me if this detail has been covered in the back and forth, but... Are we assuming that none of the 20 million losing health insurance from the ACA plans would then obtain coverage in some other way?
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-26-2017 00:26 AM
"looks like 45 decided to crack down on pot" One of the downsides of granting continuously increasing power to the executive (such as the discretion to enforce laws as they see fit) is that the next guy will have that same power. Almost nobody ever considers that.
Bitch of the Day --2017
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Bitch of the Day --2017       02-25-2017 18:22 PM
BOTD: I just checked my bed - Kibbs is not in it.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-25-2017 18:20 PM
JW: why are any of the topics on this thread even being discussed? Every time Trump does or says something stupid, Sar creates a thread, the actual topic is discussed for 2-8 posts, and then it's just the same shit that happens in every other thread - a never ending series of unconnected "Oh yeah? Well here's another reason Trump Sucks/Rocks Republicans Suck/Rock Democrats Suck/Rock etc God...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-25-2017 18:17 PM
We've been down this tax road with other people a thousand times, especially with Mitt Romney. All that discussion did was show that: 1. Almost nobody understands terms like carryover losses 2. Even if it's explaining to them, they don't care to actually contemplate the meaning or reconsider their position, and 3. Politicians on both sides are perfectly willing to exploit the vast ignorance of almost everyone for their own purposes. The tax stuff won't mean shit to anyone except the know-nothings, which is - well - almost everyone.
Things I had to do today that I wasn't planning on doing
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Things I had to do today that I wasn't planning on doing       02-24-2017 22:07 PM
At about 5:30 pm, a client of ours accidentally CC'd me on an email he wrote to a client of his, inadvertently disclosing loads of sensitive and professionally embarrassing information to me, and ensuring that his client knew that he did. I wrote to him and told him that I believe it was sent in error, I deleted it, blah blah - he called me in a panic anyway ensuring that I did, in fact, delete it - and then he forwarded it back to me AGAIN. And then he said "btw - while I've got you on the phone - I owe you some money, don't I?" Yes Sir, you do. Mwuhahaha....
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-24-2017 18:38 PM
1. You definitely didn't understand what I wrote, Sar. 2. I agree with everything tbr wrote.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-24-2017 18:00 PM
I don't think you understood what I said. --- A formal joint complaint has been made The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, CNN, Politico and yes -Fox News. Fox News was not barred from the event but nevertheless added their name to the complaint. Good.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Hey Trumpsters .has he crossed your line yet       02-24-2017 17:11 PM
Freakin' nuts. Although - I don't understand the need to hide information in an attempt to make it sound even more nuts. You make it sound like only the kooks you listed are allowed in, but that's not true. ABC, CBS, the WSJ etc are all allowed in. Honesty works both ways.
Obituaries
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Obituaries       02-24-2017 11:05 AM
RIP Alan Colmes. Once upon a time, his show with Sean Hannity was actually watchable, because the back and forth between them was entertaining.
What's for Breakfast
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Breakfast       02-24-2017 10:20 AM
More peameal bacon!!!
How's the Weather Out There
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       02-24-2017 07:31 AM
69 right now. High of 83.
Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls
FORUMS > General Discussions > Games > Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls       02-23-2017 20:28 PM
Well now... from another site, mind you. They opened pics, and she's pretty hot. But - from Bucharest ROMANIA: Hello swingers people!! We are (names) and we have a wonderful new mansion for private parties. Our mansion is situated near airport Henry Coanda in Bucharest ( 5 min drive from arrivals ), in an absolutely wonderful area and offers all the necessary comforts for high quality swing parties. Our couple have 6 year experience in swingers party. We love to see each other get totally depraved with others and with each other. Anything is possible,always depends on the mood and the vibe of the night. --- I'll tell you one thing that's not possible - us flying to Romania for a party.
What's for Breakfast
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Breakfast       02-23-2017 20:23 PM
You'd eat it too, Sir. It's fucking fantastic. Not to mention - the vegetarians have been visiting, but did not resist bringing me peameal bacon. I've barely had any meat in a few days, so gorging on pig was a glorious feeling. Oink oink.
What's for Breakfast
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What's for Breakfast       02-23-2017 16:40 PM
Mrs VA's father and stepmother are visiting (whew - we sure get a lot of Canadians visiting us since we moved to Florida...) They brought me... wait for it... PEAMEAL BACON!!!! There is nothing I miss more about Canada than peameal bacon. OMG. I fucking love it. There is, of course, no such thing as "Canadian bacon". That's an American term. Canadians call it "ham cut in a circle". It's just ham. But if something should be called Canadian bacon, it would be peameal bacon, which I cannot buy here and I love love love LOVE it. I miss it. Ohhhh damn and I ate 1.5 POUNDS of it this morning for breakfast. FUCK YEAH!
The morning news anything worth conversing about
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-23-2017 15:13 PM
One of the biggest purveyors of internet horseshit - naturalnews. com - has been blacklisted by Google. This means that searches for topics will no longer return any hits from naturalnews. Even googling "natural news" not 5 minutes ago does not link to the site. Mike Adams - garbage dispenser extraordinaire - has gone ape shit about it to anyone who will listen, which includes your typical crazies like InfoWars. To quote Eric Cartman: "Your tears of unfathomable sadness are delicious"
Post of the day award
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Post of the day award       02-23-2017 13:24 PM
Do you mean the Lasquatch? Or the Vegas Nerve?
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-23-2017 13:23 PM
File this one under "Unclear on the Concept" A German city council is kicking up a fuss over a vegetarian street festival because it won't be serving local meaty delicacies. Councillors in Kassel, in the central Hesse region, want the event's organisers to ditch its veggie theme and allow stalls to sell popular regional sausages, including the cured ahle wurst, the Hessenschau website reports. The festival is being organised by environmental group UmweltHaus to mark Earth Day on 23 April. At a meeting on Monday, councillors backed a motion asking UmweltHaus to serve local organic meat at the event. It frames the sausage ban as an affront to the city's identity, although some of those present noted a whiff of politics in the air, as Kassel is in the midst of a mayoral election campaign. "This is an issue that is close to people's hearts, and for that reason it is of course something we can't ignore in local politics," said Dominique Kalb, mayoral candidate for the conservative CDU party. He added that ahle wurst is "simply an essential part" of local street festivals.
A Song to Suit your current Mood
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       02-23-2017 13:04 PM
Whoa - I didn't think anyone here knew who Bif Naked is. "Spaceman" is my favorite song of hers.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-23-2017 13:01 PM
That's no longer a "WTF" story. Police officers are increasingly barred from participating in gay pride and other "sensitive" events.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       02-23-2017 12:35 PM
Oh dear. Sorry about that Current. We had a somewhat similar situation every winter at our house in Vanier, Ontario. The roof was very steep, but it accumulated an impressive snow and ice pack during the winter. The freezes and occasional thawing caused the material to form a 10-16 inch thick slab of ice through the winter on the east side of the roof, which when the melt came in the spring would fall onto the driveway beside the house. Normally, it would happen during the day and I'd be at work, so I'd come home to a driveway full of smashed ice. But ONE time, it happened during a rainy night. The sound was unbelievable. The whole house was shaking and it felt like the world was coming to an end. Then... BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! The noise of the pieces breaking off as the slab slid off the roof - and landing on my friend's horse trailer which we let him park in our driveway. It completely pulverized it.
Things I see about the transition and upcoming administration
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Things I see about the transition and upcoming administration       02-22-2017 00:33 AM
Really. I'm trying to find one on YouTube and can't. Any help? Who's paying for it? Is that clear from a blurb at the end?
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-22-2017 00:25 AM
You're definitely applying a somewhat different, but not unreasonable, definition of "hero" than I am, and by your definition someone like Einstein wouldn't qualify. Fair enough. He qualifies for my definition because he did something truly extraordinary for humanity and dedicated his life to doing so. The world is a different place because of him specifically. I'm not going to dispute the application of the term "hero" to people who were heroes to specific people (such as certain soldiers, police officers, firefighters, surgeons, parents, etc). It's just that these people are, to most of humanity, fairly anonymous. They changed the world for a few specific people, but not the world itself. Again - not disputing your definition. Just explaining mine, at least for the purposes of this thread. Your notion that some scientists in the past risks their lives for science (such as Gallileo, Copernicus, etc) is a fair point.
Sniglets
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Sniglets       02-21-2017 15:22 PM
"Bipartisan curious" - when someone is considering working with those on the other side of the political spectrum.
HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017       02-21-2017 11:41 AM
"Didn't VA get busted by the Lawn Patrol for not keeping it painted to their standards?" We sure did. Took a few weeks to get the job scheduled and done.
HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > HAPPY THOUGHTS -- 2017       02-21-2017 09:28 AM
We had our house painted last week. Where were all of you lazy asshats??
Harmony of the Seas March 4-11
FORUMS > Travel, Clubs and Resorts > Cruise Talk > Harmony of the Seas March 4-11       02-20-2017 14:56 PM
Anyone going on this cruise and potentially wish to meet up?
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-20-2017 08:00 AM
Shez a smart lady. Once in a while a post like that brings Peghey out of the woodwork...a guy can hope...
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 23:30 PM
I thought some discussion might go in that direction, and I considered clarifying my intent on this thread to mean specific individuals. There are a great many "everyday heroes". Of course, I don't make the rules around here, so I can't control what people post.
Latest received or given Blow Job
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Latest received or given Blow Job       02-19-2017 23:10 PM
Clarification: When we say "blow job" do we mean simply dick sucking? Or does it need to be "complete"? If we simply mean "had my dick in her mouth" than that would be Mrs VA last night, shortly after I'd fucked an old friend.
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 23:02 PM
Haha. Well that's why I felt the need to clarify this. This could easily morph into "whom do you admire?", and that could be a long list. (Warning: Pegheycentric dork talk coming) Carolyn Bertozzi inspired my interest in 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition reactions, specifically of azides and acetylenic compounds in addition to the long moribund Staudinger ligation. I met her at the pinnacle of her genius, around 1998 or so, when she was only about 30 and had a blazing intellect and vision that I have never in my life (before or since) been in the presence of. Her groundbreaking work is an incredible crossover between biochemistry and synthetic organic chemistry. When I saw her work and heard her speak, I was convinced she would win a Nobel prize one day. Unfortunately, she became so wrapped up in her personal life as a champion of lesbian rights that she neglected her magnificent scientific talents. She is still a great chemist, but I believe that, if you'll allow the analogy, the orange tree that is her mind peaked in potential from 1997 to 2005, and she chose to turn her attention away from it to water a different tree during this time. She is of course free to choose her pursuits as she sees fit; I just think she was a better scientist than activist. Nevertheless, she had a profound impact on no small number of chemists, including me. Much of the later half of my PhD thesis work was inspired by her ideas.
Simple Pleasures
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Simple Pleasures       02-19-2017 19:49 PM
SP: a visit from 2 couples who were friends of ours in Virginia. Oh - and fucking the ladies..
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-19-2017 17:33 PM
HFT and ncal?
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 17:16 PM
I admire a great many people. I myself am reserving the word "hero" for people who have been truly the upper echelon. This is all I can think of. Carolyn Bertozzi (whom I've met) Albert Einstein Glenn Seaborg
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 14:13 PM
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that "flautist" was correct. And the short answer is - no. The long answer is that it's possible that something in there somewhere has value, but if there is, it has not made itself known to science. Like almost All Things Woo they fall apart when subjected to controlled scrutiny. Buuuuut I didn't want this thread to be about this.
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 14:00 PM
"@VA: turmeric is popular in Ayurvedic medicine" I know. And I have argued about such things here for eons. There is no friendly way to continue it. Didn't I say that I know a lot - perhaps even most - people believe in this garbage? We are beer leaving it at that. "Irish flautist." A very amusing typo. Halfway between "flutist" and "flatulist". Look up "Le Petomane".
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 13:15 PM
I was ready for a heap of bullshit when I went in to see what these cretins wrote. Will wonders never cease. Jonas Salk. An outstanding choice. Proof that even the worst batter hits a home run at least once in a while.
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 12:58 PM
James Randi. James Fucking Randi. This probably surprises nobody who knows me and knows who he is. A far more talented and dedicated debunker of bullshit then myself. He IS a hero. He has dedicated his life to destroying charlatans and fraudsters - many very famous ones - and pissing off almost everyone in the process with no apologies. I know there are no small number of people here and in my family and friends who believe in everything from faith healers to psychics to magnetic wristbands to chakras to the healing powers of crystals or the herb of the day. I believe this week it's turmeric. I see a vast wasteland of fraud and lies and it makes me angry. People like Randi at least let me know that I am not alone and that there are people who work tirelessly to stop these thieves.
Heroes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Heroes       02-19-2017 12:51 PM
Who are you heroes? More specifically, who do you look up to and admire for what they do for the world? I have a few, although only one is likely to be known to anyone here... and that is.....
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-19-2017 03:25 AM
"Even your conspiracy theories are contradicting each other." His sad argument about the DeathMaster file was like that. He simultaneously (and incorrectly) claimed that 1. it was not available to the general public - only to those with a PhD 2. They use it all the time and 3. They are not PhDs themselves and never hire one. Of course he was unable to comprehend the farce that he was arguing for...
Why aren't we getting more messages?
FORUMS > Successful Swinging > Better Profiles > Why aren't we getting more messages?       02-18-2017 00:07 AM
"They may not know that you're referencing a Frank Zappa song and think you are asking for something else." I thought it was a drug reference.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-18-2017 00:07 AM
Serves me right to wander back into Politics.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 21:57 PM
"DHS reports to the President. So since the President should be responsible for his employees, it came from the administration. " Come on....
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 21:04 PM
As an aside - I don't have quite the disdain for illegal aliens that some do, but I don't especially like the pussyfooting around by calling them "undocumented immigrants". Are burglars "undocumented house guests"? Are car thieves "undocumented Uber drivers"? I think I'll become an undocumented physician tomorrow.
where a beginner starts
FORUMS > General Discussions > BDSM > where a beginner starts       02-17-2017 19:02 PM
Welcome to the fora. I don't know of any BDSM clubs in Massachusetts, but I do know where one is in Orlando. C'mon down... Oh - please stop at my house for a few hours before you go. I have something I'd like to show you.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 17:55 PM
" The administration is now saying the memo ...." The administration isn't saying it. DHS is. I suppose one could say that any federal employee is "the administration". And they say that Secretary Kelly didn't write it and didn't approve it. They could be all full of shit, of course. This is government we're talking about. ----- Sen. Kamala Harris, a California Democrat, also released a statement decrying the memo. “The mere suggestion that the President would consider ordering 100,000 members of the National Guard to go door to door checking people's document status is deeply disturbing,” she said. “The National Guard's principal responsibility is to help people in distress after natural disasters and respond to rare instances of domestic unrest. Deploying them for any other purpose is a severe mismanagement of resources, an abuse of Executive Power, and conjures images of Japanese internment camps and mass deportations of Mexican immigrants under President Eisenhower." --- I see what you did there, Sen. Harris, re: "conjures images of Japanese internment camps and mass deportations of Mexican immigrants under President Eisenhower." Fun Fact: More people were deported during Obama's administration than Eisenhower's.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 16:52 PM
"We have not" We have not what? More than 2 million people were deported [not just apprehended - physically deported] during Obama's presidency. Are you saying his administration denied millions of people due process rights?
What A Great Name For A Rockband!
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > What A Great Name For A Rockband!       02-17-2017 15:40 PM
"Lyin2Us Van Pelt " Very, very good Sir.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-17-2017 15:40 PM
I am personally nauseated by the smell. I absolutely cannot stand it.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 15:38 PM
Well, we've been deporting hundreds of thousands of people every year for a decade now, so we must have this due process thing down at this point.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 13:55 PM
"Remind me, where are noncitizens given or guaranteed due process?" Legal residents of the US (Green Card, H1 visas etc) are guaranteed due process. I don't know if an illegal alien is.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 13:09 PM
There is now some uncertainty as to whether or not this document is genuine. Would Spicer lie? Maybe. Would someone forge something and give it to the AP? Maybe. Could it be just some internal DHS chatter which is being misrepresented as a policy proposal? Maybe. Wait and see.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 12:25 PM
Also - A lot of crazy "draft memos" get made. We had one during Obama's tenure which sought to tax 403(b) plans. Another during Clinton's sought to levy a one-time 10% tax on 401(k)s. Hard to know how seriously to take them. But I'll agree the fact that it's on the table is concerning.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 12:23 PM
btw I'm not using that to justify anything, and I'm not making the argument that the internment was constitutional. I was asking a practical/historical question.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 11:55 AM
"What was that Cuban kids name?" Elian Gonzalez.
A draft plan leaked
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > A draft plan leaked       02-17-2017 11:16 AM
Out of curiosity, who rounded up the Japanese in the 40s?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       02-17-2017 11:15 AM
Boy you Californians sure are making up for a decade of drought. Southern CA is expecting the heaviest rain in years. On a happy note, Kim Kardashian's lawn will finally get the watering it needs.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-17-2017 10:42 AM
I would imagine a lot of it has to do with cultivar selection. Large agricultural companies got where they were through a scientific approach. Motivated by money they will probably succeed when it comes to quality vs cost.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-17-2017 05:35 AM
What I find peculiar is how many people even at more southern latitudes are still considered vitamin D deficient. I see it all the time in Florida - somehow. Mind you, Florida is also packed with chronic sunscreeners.... snow white under the blazing sun....
Seeking constructive criticism
FORUMS > Successful Swinging > Better Profiles > Seeking constructive criticism       02-16-2017 18:02 PM
"Do you think it would be better to mention that?" I don't know. Probably not, but that's just a guess. You're probably best to avoid couples altogether until she decides she wants some dick.... that's probably going to be even more frustrating than single females.
Settle our dispute
FORUMS > Successful Swinging > Better Profiles > Settle our dispute       02-16-2017 16:56 PM
I don't think it's a problem. Mind you, our novella of a profile turns some people off too.
Seeking constructive criticism
FORUMS > Successful Swinging > Better Profiles > Seeking constructive criticism       02-16-2017 16:53 PM
I'm not going to speculate as to exactly who wants what. You are free to want what you want. But if you're hoping lots of hot young pussy is going to fall into your lap, you're going to have a trial. You're going to have much better success picking up single girls in bars.
Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Quote of the Day - Meaningful, provocative and amusing quotes       02-16-2017 16:04 PM
Haha. Reminds me of a single female we met at a party. She told me that she: 1. Emailed us about a year before 2. Stole our private pics 3. Masturbated to them regularly. And when I say "regularly" - she said she masturbated to *our pics* at least a couple of times a week for a year. I mean - that's kind of hot. But a bit scary too. Have never seen or heard from her since.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-16-2017 16:00 PM
Breaking News! Orlando, FL (Reuters) - VA is happy he blocked ncal so he has no idea what he's got you all worked up about.
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-16-2017 12:47 PM
Fun Fact: A CNN poll asked people if they had ever consulted a professional psychic. It was broken down by region: Northeast: 19% West: 13% Midwest: 11% South: 8% Not many surveys make Southerners look good... glad to see one come along....
Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 19:25 PM
ncal must be staring at a proverbial blank screen most of the time.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       02-15-2017 18:57 PM
"Acid Ocean" - Project Pitchfork.
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       02-15-2017 18:52 PM
Is anyone else getting site errors/coding barf every time they post something?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 18:52 PM
Is anyone else getting site errors/coding barf every time they post something?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 18:51 PM
"I think the Democrats have that as a goal" I don't. They want control of it, not universal coverage for its own sake.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 18:25 PM
You were never familiar with my proposal, Sar. You'd probably love it, although who knows. The small "l" libertarian in me hates it. I just saw it as a way for everyone to get what they want while avoiding the inevitable shitball of single payer.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 18:16 PM
"The death spiral is mostly overstated, and a consequence of constant attacks by conservatives. " We will disagree on this, but that's OK. I still like my idea for the overhaul... I know you were not a fan...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 18:02 PM
That's not what I said. I said it has nothing to do with the GOP and if the Democrats stole the show in November they'd be facing the same reality. I said the system as set up by the ACA is not viable. Without a massive influx of additional cash it cannot survive as structured.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Pre-Existing conditions/Indivisual mandate       02-15-2017 17:14 PM
Sar - Obamacare is in big trouble, and it has nothing to do with Republicans - it would be happening if Democrats stole the show in November. The death spiral is underway. 2-3 years tops and the whole thing collapses.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 23:49 PM
So the situation at the dam is stabilizing. Even though there is a big nasty hole in the main spillway, it hasn't changed in 4 days and they are cautiously optimistic that the temporary repairs being made will hold for the remainder of the winter/spring, when a permanent repair can be made. Residents are being allowed to return. Whew. Hopefully we don't get any nasty surprises.
Send in the Clowns
FORUMS > General Discussions > Politics > Send in the Clowns       02-14-2017 21:45 PM
(purely for amusement) Sean Spicer's "Joe Trudeau" thing would have stolen the show entirely today, had the Democrats not staged their own competing circus act. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and other top Democrats in the House addressed the press with a joint statement regarding the resignation of Mike Flynn by including tweets from a twitter account that doesn't belong to him. “Just this morning, Flynn tweeted and this is a quote, ‘scapegoat,’ end of quote,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings. “Scapegoat. He basically describes himself as a scapegoat. And so I believe we need to hold a public hearing with Flynn to get to the bottom of this.” Not to be outdone by this intellectual masterpiece.... “I didn’t know until I heard from our colleague that the tweet from Gen. Flynn was ‘scapegoat,’” said Pelosi following Cummings’ statement. “Do you know what a scapegoat is? In a community where people want to absolve themselves of guilt, they get a goat and they heap all of the ills onto the goat and then they run the goat out of town.” I'm sure this will be followed by arguments that either Democrats or Republicans are stupider. Whatevs. Basically - it just seems like almost everything is bullshit these days. I don't really blame young people for being so misinformed anymore - it's requiring more and more work to vet anything, and satire is often paraded around as "news".
Fun Facts
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Fun Facts       02-14-2017 20:43 PM
Fun fact: In 1983, Rohm and Haas (a large chemical company) made an error in their payroll withholding check to the IRS. It was supposed to be $4,448,112.98. It was actually $4,448,112.88. 10 cents short. This is the IRS we're talking about. They assess (in 1983, anyway) penalties based on the base amount, not the amount of the error. They assessed a penalty to Rohm and Haas of $46,806.37. Rohm and Haas spent months fighting this. They eventually settled out of court with the IRS for an undisclosed amount. I really hope it was $0.10.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 17:40 PM
On July 15, 1974, TV news anchor Christine Chubbuck committed suicide on live TV by shooting herself in the head. Her story was told in the recent movie "Christine". The footage had not been seen since the original broadcast..... ...until today. Someone uploaded it to the shock video site miscopy. com.
WTF
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > WTF       02-14-2017 14:27 PM
*Less cowbell*? Nancy Holten, 42, who was born in the Netherlands, moved to Switzerland when she was eight. She is fluent in Swiss German and her children have Swiss citizenship. The animal rights activist has campaigned publicly against the local traditions of putting bells around cows’ necks and piglet racing, according to The Local. “The sound that cowbells make is a hundred decibel. It is comparable to a pneumatic drill. We also would not want such a thing hanging close to our ears.” she reportedly told the media. In Switzerland, local residents have a say in a person’s passport application. Ms Holten’s first attempt at naturalisation was made in 2015, when she was approved by local authorities but rejected by 144 out of 206 residents in a vote. “I think I was too strident and spoke my mind too often,” Ms Holten told The Local, adding her intention had not been to attack Swiss traditions but that, in the case of the cowbell, her complaints had been motivated by animal welfare. Tanja Suter, the president of the local Swiss People’s Party, claimed Ms Holten has a “big mouth” and residents had not wanted to give her the gift of citizenship “if she annoys us and doesn’t respect our traditions”.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 14:22 PM
Maybe we can use ncal's bullshit as aggregate until the dam can be properly fixed?
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 13:05 PM
"I'm hoping VA's scenario comes to pass." Me too. Definitely not an expert in this at all, but I think we have some smart people formulating a plan, and I also believe that panicky predictions always get more traction than more measured ones. I'm not looking forward to the political blame game that is to come.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 12:05 PM
Yep. The damage to the main spillway is huge. Although I find it hard to believe that it will *really* cost $200 million to fix a big hole in some concrete. That might be the bill but I'm betting it's wildly inflated. I'm guessing they'll fill it with riprap in the meantime to slow erosion until a permanent repair can be made.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-14-2017 08:30 AM
From what I've read there is a solid concrete landing at the base of the emergency spillway, which catches water after its 30 foot plunge, but below that is just a hillside that water flows down. But "Current"ly the water is below the threshold again and the base is now dry. Workers are putting supplementary materials at the base to slow any future overflow and mitigate erosion. The emergency spillway's level is at 901 feet. The lake is dropping by about 1 foot an hour, is currently at 884 feet, with a target of 850 feet by end of tomorrow. This would be entirely below the emergency spillway and would allow an opportunity to assess the situation and to make room for a storm anticipated on Thursday. My (100% armchair) guess is that it'll be fine, for now. The lake will be aggressively lowered in anticipation of spring floods and then a lot of repair work will begin once the spring floods are behind us.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-13-2017 14:52 PM
I'm not going to pretend I fully grasp the risk involved. I just meant that it's my understanding that a lot of media (who also don't understand this) are reporting it as if the dam is on the brink of a catastrophic drain-the-lake failure, and I don't believe that that's remotely true. Anyway - regardless - hope the outcome is positive from all this. Wish it could be funneled directly to SoCal who could use it all.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-13-2017 14:28 PM
I had read that the failure risk was with the spillway, not the dam itself. I also read (very recently) that the water level had subsided some and the risk was backing off.. a little..
Regaining motivation again and again and again Whats your Motivation
FORUMS > General Discussions > Fitness > Regaining motivation again and again and again Whats your Motivation       02-12-2017 19:46 PM
Mine.... we're going on a (vanilla) cruise in 2 weeks and I don't want to be a fat slob. I'm still around 207 pounds but I've lost a lot of muscle tone and have softened in the 7 weeks of lethargy. Boooooooo! I need to begin getting up in the morning again and going... but my now 7 week old cough is beginning to really piss me off...
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > A Song to Suit your current Mood       02-11-2017 02:17 AM
"Juke Joint Jezebel" - KMFDM
Just Wondering
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > Just Wondering       02-10-2017 14:40 PM
"JW why it seems to practically take an act of Congress to change my profile pic..." If you thought SLS could fuck up a site, let's put Congress in charge of it.
Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls
FORUMS > General Discussions > Games > Submit the best lines from your favorite emails on sls       02-10-2017 12:36 PM
Man, everyone loves that one. Like I said in another post, it's not my favorite, but I do like it. Apparently that's the most popular of the new ones.
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-10-2017 12:32 PM
btw - I had never heard of this - and I think it's BRILLIANT.. You wonder how they produce these things in the first place if they are sterile? They modified their metabolism to make them dependent on tetracycline to reproduce. It's called Tetracycline-controlled transcriptional activation (that's the name of the wiki article on it). In captivity, they aren't sterile because they can be fed tetracycline in their diet. When they are released, they don't have any, and are rendered sterile. (I know - this sounds like Jurassic Park, doesn't it? Cue Jeff Goldblum...)
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > The morning news anything worth conversing about       02-10-2017 12:23 PM
And I really do understand why it's scary. If this works and can be scaled globally to the other necessary species, we can wipe out malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever and a few others. It'll save probably 3-5 million lives a year - on the same order as the number of people who die of hunger every year - and that's a "once and done" effort, if it can be driven to completion (which will likely require additional measures, including *gasp* DDT).
FORUMS > General Discussions > Open Forum > How's the Weather Out There       02-10-2017 12:14 PM
OK, *much* of the winter. People think of winter as these idyllic scenes of glittering white snow, people bustling around smiling and bundled up, snowball fights and general merriment. And they can be like that, and are mighty beautiful when they are. But most of the winter isn't like that. Perhaps 10 days a year are that beautiful The rest of the time it's about traffic mayhem, wet feet, muck all over the inside and outside of your car, runny noses, scraping ice off your car, parking problems, roof damage, and being late for work. So out of 100 days of winter I hear 10% "It's so pretty out" and 90% "this fucking sucks".
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.