HIV Data (post it here) : Swingers Discussion 109681
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSThe Bi Sexual SwingerBi CouplesHIV Data (post it here)
TOPIC: HIV Data (post it here)
Created by: mischiefnyou
Original Starting post for this thread:
From the CDC (dot)gov

“Of 214,379 HIV/AIDS diagnoses in 33 states during 2001--2006, a total of 97,577 (46%) were among MSM. Decreases in diagnoses were observed in all transmission categories except MSM. Among males, MSM accounted for 97,577 (63%) of cases. Men aged 25--44 years accounted for 64% of cases among MSM . Among MSM, the number of diagnoses increased from 16,081 in 2001 to 17,465 in 2006".

It is dangerous to be an MSM. You need to take precautions.

“the average risk for HIV transmission after a percutaneous exposure to HIV-infected blood has been estimated to be approximately 0.3% and after a mucous membrane exposure, approximately 0.09%. Although episodes of HIV transmission after nonintact skin exposure have been documented, the average risk for transmission by this route has not been precisely quantified but is estimated to be less than the risk for mucous membrane exposures.”

“increased risk for HIV infection was associated with exposure to a larger quantity of blood from the source person as indicated by 1) a device (e.g., a needle) visibly contaminated with the patient's blood, 2) a procedure that involved a needle being placed directly in a vein or artery, or 3) a deep injury. The risk also was increased for exposure to blood from source persons with terminal illness, possibly reflecting either the higher titer of HIV in blood late in the course of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)”

The old Mantra ON me, NOT in me...still applies

Live to play another day. ;

Mischief

GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"As for what the bi community is for or not for, who knows? Is there really a bi male community anyway?"

Actually, there was a bimale community. I know because I belonged to the BNDC. There most certainly is a gay community. There most certainly is a AA community. The lack of outrage over irresponsible behavior by HIV+ folks is alarming at best.

But that's just my take. Lesbians are active in the Breast Cancer area because of a higher incidence in Breast Ca in their groups.

Play safe.

M.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I think the bottom line on the new HIV data is that if you do not protect yourself, you get what is coming to you. Avoid risky behaviors and you will go a long way toward being safer.

As for what the bi community is for or not for, who knows? Is there really a bi male community anyway? What there should be is a bi male posing as a straight male community. I am sure a study of those people would be instructive as to why the HIV numbers are as they are....

Indianapolis IN
Username hidden
(251 posts)
"They lumped the higher AIDS infection rate basically to gay/bi men, and African Americans on the version I read. They did not mention anything about whether those who use safe sex practices show the same uptick or not."

Statistics by default, relate to groups not individual behavior.

I believe the infection rates involving young MSM have to do with a fatalistic attitude. That is, I'm having sex with guys. I'm bound to get infected. So why bother protecting myself? I can't think of another way it gets passed.

What pisses me off totally and has for decades? The MSM in the infected pool who don't have safer sex with these young guys. There are enough infected guys out there who feel under no obligation to protect the youngsters coming up. I sincerely would like to strangle them. Even worse? The gay/bimale community ALLOWS this behavior to continue. There appears to be NO retribution for passing HIV to the younger set. Otherwise they could have contained HIV long ago.

The African American component involves bimales and IV drug users who infect females through bare back sex. Again totally irresponsible and sincerely pisses me off.

These folks are committing genocide on themselves. What does concern me regarding AA women? If just a few of these ladies, who have not been tested, decide to swing.

There was a blip in the news a year or so ago describing a new group if infected young men. Young, educated, AA, men passing HIV between communities at school and home. I will try to find it.

I need to make one point. It's not that AA are dangerous and should be avoided as a group. It's the inner city mixing of social groups that is the causative factor...not their race. This is true of any inner city group regardless of race.

Sincerely pissed off that the communities involved don't protect themselves more. Government disinterest since Regan is an issue. But, it boils down to folks not respecting each other and communities tolerating, on going, irresponsible, behavior within their ranks. Why no one is pissed amazed me.

Mischief has treated too many folks for too long.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I read a story about the report on CNN so I am not sure that it is totally accurate or includes the correct nuance to the data. They lumped the higher AIDS infection rate basically to gay/bi men, and African Americans on the version I read. They did not mention anything about whether those who use safe sex practices show the same uptick or not.

My guess is that many people have become lax about safe sex over the years. Given that there seems to be interest in risky behaviors like bare back anal. Also, HIV is a disease that has not received a lot of press for the last several years. It does not help that the current administration has taken a lot of the funding away so that the safe sex message has been drowned out by abstinence (not trying to be political, just looking for a contributing cause).

Indianapolis IN
Username hidden
(251 posts)
Over 56,000 new AIDS infections each year in U.S.

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor Sat Aug 2, 10:48 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least 56,000 people become infected with the AIDS virus every year in the United States -- 40 percent more than previous estimates, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC stressed that actual infection rates have not risen but said better methods of measuring new diagnosed infections and then extrapolating this to the general population led to the fresh estimates.

"CDC's first estimates from this system reveal that the HIV epidemic is -- and has been -- worse than previously known. Results indicate that approximately 56,300 new HIV infections occurred in the United States in 2006," the CDC said in a statement.

"This figure is roughly 40 percent higher than CDC's former estimate of 40,000 infections per year, which was based on limited data and less precise methods."

Globally, 33 million people are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS and 2 million die of it each year.

The CDC estimates roughly 1 million Americans are infected with the virus. Dr. Kevin Fenton, who heads CDC's AIDS branch, said 15,000 to 18,000 Americans die every year of AIDS.

"The data really confirm that there is a severe impact of this epidemic among gay and bisexual men in the United States ... as well as black men and women," Fenton said in a telephone interview.

More than 28,000 of the new infections are among men who have sex with men, the new estimates show. Close to 17,000 are among heterosexuals -- and 15,000 of these are women.

"These data are confirming what we had known before," Fenton said. "It also mirrors what we see about sexually transmitted diseases and changes in risk behavior among men who have sex with men."

RISKY SEX

Many recent studies have shown gay and bisexual men are having risky, unprotected sex more often than before, perhaps emboldened by the knowledge that the disease can be treated.

But AIDS remains incurable and is fatal if not treated. There is no vaccine and the drugs stop working if people do not take them precisely as directed.

The numbers, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, also confirm that black Americans are seven times more likely to be infected than whites.

"The reality is that it is a wake-up call for all of us," Fenton said. "There are things that you and I can do to stop the disease -- encourage others to use condoms consistently and correctly, abstain from sex."

AIDS spreads rampantly in prisons, he added.

Communities need to provide better education and testing services, Fenton said.

Fears of being stigmatized have stopped people from being tested -- 25 percent of those infected do not know it and can pass along the virus.

But there was some comfort in the numbers.

"It is important to note that the new estimate does not represent an actual increase in the annual number of new HIV infections," CDC said.

"In fact, CDC's analysis suggests that the epidemic has been roughly stable since the late 1990s, though the number of new HIV infections remains unacceptably high," it said.

"The analysis shows that new infections peaked in the mid-1980s at approximately 130,000 infections per year and reached a low of about 50,000 in the early 1990s."

Cocktails of HIV drugs can keep patients alive and healthy but not everyone gets them, Fenton said.

Too many Americans are diagnosed late, after the virus has already damaged the immune system beyond repair, he said. (Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Actually, I believe it's the Langerhans cells of the throat that are the area of concern, in addition to the gums.

Certainly, I have mentioned NOT brushing your teeth within about 4 hours of playing.

Brushing and Flossing opens up a direct highway to the blood supply. Most don't know this either.

I could continue to count the ways folks are exposed to EVERYTHING regardless of anal activity..but why bother? Most have made up their minds what constitutes risk.

I would be careful deep throating a bi guy. But then I have to assume all "straight" men are hiding MSM activity. Why? Because there are tons who are.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. I probably would if I was a bi male. Why? Because I would have already vetted them as well as I could. I'm not in this lifestyle because I won't tolerate any risk. I make calculated risks all the time. Being a bi guy just ups the ante a ton.

What really concerns me? All the "straight" men who are not straight. Good thing my gaydar is excellent. I would use my intuition to help me ID folks that are not truthful.. when I get their name....which isn't always. Oh, shit...that makes me a slut. Oh well.

Mischief has lived to play another day. ;)

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Thanks M! That is an old report of BJ risk. I have read similar. There are two schools of thought on oral sex. One feels it is relatively safe and very, very rarely transmits HIV. The other group points out the possibility of transmission as if any possibility means it is not safe.

Those from the second group have done experiments with monkeys. The latest and most famous involved huge viral doses of HIV and abraded gums on the monkeys. Even then they could only get a few of the monkeys infected orally. To me it showed just how difficult it was to infect with HIV orally.

Some researchers seem not familiar with the psychology of self reporting. When their subjects self report that oral sex was their riskiest sexual behavior a red flag ought to pop up. Gays receive such stigma for being who they are and for their sexual practices that self reporting will be biased toward the less risky sexual practice.

Also oral sex can take the place of anal sex for gays. Which is less risky? So if they practice oral sex far more often than anal sex that's an argument for the risk of practicing oral sex?

Enosburg Falls VT
Username hidden
(972 posts)
This is old but opened my eyes to something I did not understand. That F to M BJ is not the same animal as M to M BJ. I can print the rest or send it . It's long.

The Great Fellatio Debate: How Safe Is Oral Sex?

By Mark Schoofs

October 15, 1996

From Village Voice

What men really want is not knowledge but certainty.

-- Bertrand Russell

What are the chances of getting HIV through fellatio? This is probably the sexual question gay men ask most frequently, and it's one many straight women are asking as well. But people cannot get a consistent answer. ''One day you hear it's not a risk,'' says AIDS activist Spencer Cox, ''and the next day you hear, Don't even think about putting your tongue on a cock.''

Cox is exaggerating only slightly. At the International Conference on AIDS this summer, Gay Men's Health Crisis sponsored a standing-room-only forum on the subject. Three scientists explained that although some people have been infected through oral sex such cases appear to be rare. Despite the widely reported discovery that monkeys can easily be infected by swabbing the back of their tongues with SIV, the simian cousin of HIV, humans usually catch the AIDS virus sexually through anal or vaginal intercourse.

The panel's last speaker was gay activist and author Eric Rofes. ''The oral sex panic,'' he declared, arises from ''a deeply rooted anxiety about what we do with our bodies with other males'' and from society's dismissal of ''the authentic need that many men have to exchange semen.'' Rofes ended by exhorting the audience to ''hold our ground'' on oral sex. ''If you want to make it even more safe, don't let him come in your mouth. But keep doing it!''

The very next day, researcher Timothy Schacker presented data on people newly infected with HIV. In 12 cases, Schacker had been able to identify the specific sexual episode that most likely transmitted the virus; in four cases, the riskiest activity was fellatio. In two, the men's partners confirmed their stories. Schacker concluded that ''oral transmission of HIV may occur more often than previously recognized.''

To Schacker, a key finding was that the men in his study were having oral sex without a condom about 20 times mo re frequently than they were having unprotected receptive anal sex. So, although the risk for a single act of fellatio is much less than for anal sex, Schacker says, ''if you perform oral sex enough times, your cumulative risk could be substantial.''

Schacker's study is too small to be conclusive. But it documents something many clinicians and researchers have noticed: a persistent trickle of infections among people who say fellatio is their primary risk factor. Four out of 102 newly infected gay men in Amsterdam cited oral sex as their riskiest behavior, one out of 50 in Boston, three out of 49 in San Francisco, one out of 41 in a second S.F. study, and six out of 28 in Stockholm. In addition, at least a dozen more cases are in the scientific literature, and researchers in Sweden and New York are preparing to publish new reports of individuals getting infected through fellatio.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I finally remembered what search term to use to get data for transmission risk.

"Serodiscordant" Here's just one taste.

Here's the meat.

"Female-to-male transmission was detected in seven out of 11 couples at risk"

"Heterosexual Transmission of HIV in a Cohort of Couples in New York City"

Since heterosexual transmission of HIV in the United States is occurring at an increasing rate, especially among black and Hispanic couples and those in which one member has a history of intravenous drug use, we sought to study the heterosexual transmission of HIV in couples. DESIGN: Multiple logistic regression analysis of risks for HIV infection in female partners. METHODS: We enrolled 158 non-intravenous drug user (IVDU) steady heterosexual partners of HIV-infected individuals (indexes) in this study. Of these, 93% were women, 54% were Hispanic whites, 23% were black and 65.6% were partners of IVDU. RESULTS: In a multiple logistic regression analysis of risks for HIV infection in female partners, the strongest predictors of transmission were AIDS or AIDS-related complex (ARC) in the index [adjusted odds ratios (OR), 16.81; P < 0.001 and 12.53; P = 0.003, respectively], a history of anal intercourse (adjusted OR, 10.81; P < 0.001) and bleeding as a result of intercourse (adjusted OR, 4.90; P < 0.05). Female-to-male transmission was detected in seven out of 11 couples at risk. Ethnicity, number of episodes of vaginal intercourse, number of other sexual partners and history of sexually transmitted infections were not significantly associated with transmission to women. CONCLUSION: Our study demonstrates that health of the index, anal intercourse and bleeding as a result of intercourse are the major determinants of sexual transmission of HIV to women in couples.

There are other studies out there. M.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
We're interested. Blow jobs spurt with fun. And what's the point of enjoying the cock if you don't enjoy the cream? Not so much the cum but the act of cumming. A cock cumming is a powerful sexual energy. Taking your mouth off and missing a cock cum alive simply misses the point of a blow job.

Enosburg Falls VT
Username hidden
(972 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
TOPIC: HIV Data (post it here)