Asexuals : Swingers Discussion 114947
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSThe Bi Sexual SwingerBi CouplesAsexuals
TOPIC: Asexuals
Created by: willdufauve The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
User Details are only visible to members.
D & J

I believe the answer is that homosexuality has not been included in the DSM for more than 20 years. (I think it was dropped after III because it is not in III-R as a disorder)

More to the point is the fact that all research where people are involved requires a flexible approach and an open mind with effective communication.

A tool like the DSM facilitates the study of the human condition and provides a framework with which to discuss in a structured way the observations, measurements and other parameters of the data generated by investigation as we pursue knowledge.

What I find unacceptable is the suggestion that dismissal or alleged invalidation of a tome of scholarly work is OK because someone has a personal experience they believe is counter to something in the resource. (much akin to the concept of throwing the baby out with the bath water). or ( men can autofellate just because about 6% of the male population can do this)....the fact remains that in the context of the general population and for the purposes of a Forum post ...generally men cannot 94%) HOwever, that said I could envision a national yoga campaign which may change those numbers ...if there were an "inclination' (no pun) lol Nothing is chiseled in stone for very long where people's behaviors are concerned. Many truths are found on the path to enlightenment. (many truths change as well) I've learned to use great restraint in saying NEVER and ALWAYS for the obvious reasons.

I think people just like to argue which can be a constructive process when done with respect and an open mind.

Ohhboy --thanks for sharing that information.

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(708 posts)
Always, your polemic applies to you every bit as much as it does to Mischief or any of us.

Her point is that the DSM has changed drastically and has evolved since it's inception. At that inception there were considerable political and cultural infections within it. When DID homosexuality cease to be a mental health diagnosis?

Of the sciences, psychology and psychiatry are among the least evidence based historically, with longstanding infections of belief and ego. I'm happy you support the effort to improve its evidence based performance, but it has quite a history of belief and political biases. Mischief was pointing that out.

You pointed out quite well it is a tool rather than FACT. Science is an evolution of knowledge, always challengeable by new evidence. Current scientific standards evolve, which separates it from religion and theology. Science is a process of attaining knowledge, not a static fount of fact.

Enosburg Falls VT
Username hidden
(972 posts)
"We, the undersigned, support the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) own goal of making its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) a scientific document, based on empirical research and devoid of cultural bias."

Is a proposition I as a professional trained in scientific technique support. It is irresponsible (IMO) for you to denigrate it (DSM) as it is a useful tool for many professionals. Part of being a professional requires us to consider a balanced approach to treatment of those with whom we work. ( DSM is ONE of many tools we use to help those in need, it is not by any means the ONLY tool in the toolbox.

In the context of this topic "Asexuality" I find nothing even approaching controversial (or political) about its use or value in that discussion.

You might what to check with yourself and ask why a thread about Asexuality has become about YOU. NEWS FLASH, it is not all about you in spite of your apparent ego centric narcissism

I could go on and answer each point you tried to make but frankly grow weary ... and find it way off track for the TOPIC. As I said previously some people are so entrenched and invested in THEIR position that no amount of fact or logic or empirical evidence will help them until they want the help and when they do, we call it a breakthrough.... until they do, it's called job security. (sad but true)

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(708 posts)
Petition: "We, the undersigned, support the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) own goal of making its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) a scientific document, based on empirical research and devoid of cultural bias. A diagnosis of a mental disorder can have a severe adverse impact on employment opportunities, child custody determinations, an individual's well-being, and other areas of functioning. Therefore we urge the APA to remove all diagnoses that are not based upon peer-reviewed, empirical research, demonstrating distress or dysfunction, from the DSM. The APA specifically should not promote current social norms or values as a basis for clinical judgments."

sounds political to me...YOU MAKE THE CALL

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
For a highly trained professional your reading skills suck. I again had already answered this question.

“BTW...what your "story" has to do with Asexuality remains a mystery.”

“I merely posted this information as an interesting aside.”

“IMO...What makes them "politically charged" is people without training try to argue their point based on their poorly informed bias, opinion and limited experience and when they can't do so successfully they often attack the resource or the professional sharing the information”

Yep...I’m just a hacker..barely made it out of psych101. Here’s what I meant about politics and the DSM. Where incidently, I’m found on many pages. Too bad this hacker is more up to date than you” THE PROFESSIONAL”.

Suggestion. If you are going to mindlessly defend a reference, try not to visit that shit on the rest of us. Some professionals use critical thinking when assessing our references. Not to do so, risks the mental, social, and personal welfare of our patients.

Mischief grows tired of the egotistical, educated, holier-than-thou attitude of some professionals. ********* Kinky is NOT a Diagnosis! DSM Revision Petition

The DSM Revision Petition is gathering signatures from individuals and organizations calling on the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to adhere to empirical research when revising the diagnoses in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

Statements currently within the DSM Paraphilias criteria are contradicted by scientific evidence therefore NCSF must conclude that the interpretation of the Paraphilias criteria has been politically not scientifically based. This politically motivated interpretation subjects BDSM practitioners, fetishists and cross-dressers to bias, discrimination and social sanctions without any scientific basis.

From NCSF...a GREAT organization!! ************** reference: thepetitionsite(dot)com/1/DSMrevisionpetition

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
bicoup "Maybe I missed it in another thread where people care what you think."

FYI...People must care enough about what I think... as it has worked out nicely enough over the past 25 years to provide a comfortable living for us.

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(708 posts)
"I don't need a politically charged text like the DSM to help me with that definition."

BTW...what your "story" has to do with Asexuality remains a mystery.

The purpose for using a references like DSM or ICD-10 is that they are the established "standards" used in the healing and other service industries.

IMO...What makes them "politically charged" is people without training try to argue their point based on their poorly informed bias, opinion and limited experience and when they can't do so successfully they often attack the resource or the professional sharing the information. "You can lead an ass to food but you can't make it eat" Consider yourself lead to an accurate source of information consume or not... it remains your choice.

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(708 posts)
maybe it is YOU who needs to learn how to read??

"I had one gay male friend who only had sex with himself. He had elaborate rituals that he went through. He would even place his own penis in his rectum. This behavior was extremely addictive.

That's how I found out about it. I was helping him with his sex addiction." ************************

I NEVER stated that I witnessed the behavior. However, that in no way diminishes the validity in my mind. This troubled soul trusted me with his "secret". Just because you require more proof doesn't mean I do. His pain was very real. I was involved in a program sense with this gentleman for 18 months. There was/is no reason not to believe his description of his extensive ritual..that also involved enemas..

Duh, I very well KNOW the meaning of Asexual. I merely posted this information as an interesting aside.

Somehow the DSM-IV seems like over kill. The word is self descriptive. I don't need a politically charged text like the DSM to help me with that definition. So you read, Big deal.. What version did they remove homosexuality as a mental illness from? III???

M as usual I stand by everything I write.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Hey I make an effort to inform.... it remains up to the recipient as to whether the information is of value to them or not.

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(708 posts)
Always,

Since you are a self professed expert there should be no need for anyone to consult your on line psychiatric diagnostics book. I do wonder if it is the end all be all of diagnosis. by the way, do you work for them? It like Wikipedia might not always be the most resourceful information. Now maybe you are doing some research while lurking in the bi forums disputing others. I thought that you always had something of value to add to the thread. Maybe I missed it in another thread where people care what you think.

Carrollton VA
Username hidden
(180 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
TOPIC: Asexuals