Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS Suggestions Website Why should OUR email box get purged
TOPIC: Why should OUR email box get purged
Created by: two_fun_4u The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 3 of 3 
User Details are only visible to members.
I understand and have considered what you suggest. Most of it is already like that. The problem is with changing the existing structure with millions of mails in it.

Coral Springs FL
Username hidden
(12135 posts)
Just to chime in, and hopefully not ruffle any feathers while doing so.

The e-mail here does behave 'odd', but the functionality mentioned in this thread does indeed to be revamped imho.

I am currently designing an internal e-mail system for a site I've been working on for over a year. So webby, if you designed yours KUDOS. (if a real pain trying to figure out the logic behind the scenes).

Anyway - other users should NOT be able to delete mail that the sender can/could posses at one time. It is aggrevating to some extent - but Im not complaining.

Its more a matter of database design. Ok so theres only 1 actual message stored. That single record can have multiple flags, such as sent, read, replied, deleted, archived, and date sensitive info such as date read, date sent, date replied etc and so on.

Lets take the current scenario at hand: User "A" sends an e-mail to user "B". The message should be stored in a table with the following columns: date created, sent to, sent from, date read, replyid, senderdelete, readerdelete and the like. The queries can easily 'filter' what users A and B see.

The caveat: When a user 'deletes' a e-mail, its not really deleted - its just flagged either with a bit (yes/no or 1/0) or a date. In either case the message still is there. Somewhere on whatever site using this technique, users should be informed that mail is not deleted but removed from their view - the system will eventually troll through records and clean out records older than 'x' days that have both delete flags set.

Now for a design tip: e-mail message bodies should be stored as a text field (in SQL Server) - this is only a 16-byte field which is WAY smaller than the actual 4k message that someone could write! (4000-16= 3984 bytes saved!) or in other words for the space consciencious dba it would take over 65,000 emails to use just 1MB of database space! (1,048,576 / 16 = 65536)

(okay so if my math is off -- ya'll get the general idea right?)

Im currently debugging my ASP internal mail part of the site over the next few weeks, my big challenge right now is to try an figure out how to allow users to reply multiple times to a single e-mail. (currently i inform them they have already replied). I've already started designing the delete/archive feature in my head which is the next step. Oh, I've also implemented a keyword search feature into it - kinda like gmail or outlook.

Im not saying the way e-mail is done here is right, wrong, or indifferent - its just kinda quirky to me - but it works and thats what counts!

btw: if anyone wants a gmail account - just let me know I have over 50 to hand out!

Zig of Zig-n-Yur

Frederick MD
Username hidden
(166 posts)
This is a database, there is only one actual copy of the message.

Coral Springs FL
Username hidden
(12135 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 3 of 3 
TOPIC: Why should OUR email box get purged