Website upgrade Sometime this centrury : Swingers Discussion 220204
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSSuggestionsWebsiteWebsite upgrade Sometime this centrury
TOPIC: Website upgrade Sometime this centrury
Created by: BigInQueens
Original Starting post for this thread:
I've been on SLS for the past 5 years and I've seen very little progress in the way of site upgrades. Honestly, the site is operating on a 2002-2003 functionality and there are other sites that are probably running circles around SLS as far as upgrades.

Does anyone know if they're are any upgrades in the works?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
User Details are only visible to members.
What JinandJessica said.

Frames are a problem from a usability and particularly navigation standpoint. But there was a reason that they were used at the time, and one advantage of difficult navigation is that if you can't get to a page through a link, which you generally can't with frames, it's much harder to snoop a site unless you can log in.

Remember that SLS allows non-members to do a lot of looking around for free.

I don't know if this was a rationale for why frames were used originally, or it was because everyone else was doing it, but given the way the site it supposed to let anyone coming here have a look-see while protecting members' privacy, frames might have been part of the solution.

That doesn't change the fact that I dislike frames and wouldn't suggest that anyone use them on a modern web site.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(271 posts)
The site appears to be written in ColdFusion. Not a bad choice and less to do with the frames styling but was likely chosen for its platform independence and database integration. The latter was likely a critical feature at the time the site was first brought up. Adobe bought CF a few years ago and is still actively supporting it - there are a decent number of CFML developers out there but it's not as easy as raw HTML development.

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
Thing is, it's not only the handling of it the past few months. This pic issue has been a recurring problem for YEARS.

Camillus NY
Username hidden
(57 posts)
SnS - The site's pic handling the past couple/three months has been pretty awful. It's mind-boggling that they can't fix the software that has had such a major fuck up. Step one would be to go back to the last human who touched the stuff back in Feb and undo whatever they did. Unfortunately they've probably been doing a lot of "try this", "no, try this" and there's no pathway back to what worked. OTOH though, the other site that's got any kind of presence here in New England is swappernet and that's even worse so we stick here and we'll let things sort themselves out. In the meantime, there's always off-site email & such and this is still a good way to see what's going on with the local house party/club scene.

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
I've been in the software business for 20 years now and my speciallty is application websites and databases, basically what this site is. Only problem, that the code on this site is so damn old and doesn't even function correctly.

First, FRAMES? Really? Second, database updates? You delete something, it's still there? Have to refresh to get something to change? Between the crap code and crap database updates/inserts, it's unbearable.

It's not the server, it's not the hosting company, it's the crap code. The support is horrible. Our pics haven't worked since we joined, and it's fustrating when we try to contact someone. Support has said "we're working on it" Customer service has said "we're working on it "

This place sits back and collects money. Hope to find a new place soon.

North Andover MA
Username hidden
(7 posts)
This site is actually coded in hieroglyphics.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3205 posts)
you could hire a pre-graduate computer science major to code this as an intern for free that would probably do just as good a job

although with this 1990's technology, a close to graduation computer major might be perplexed....

it would be like asking them to code in B.A.S.I.C.

ha!!!

Grosse Pointe MI
Username hidden
(461 posts)
$5800 per week isn't going to buy a lot of code? or even per month? thats simply insane! This is just a front end for a rather simple database and an image processing engine. They have the database transaction part down as that seems rarely to be a problem, so except for updated sql statements that is already solid. If someone is dumb enough to pay that price for a static site that is INSANE. Agreed, its not as simple as many think but it also isn't rocket science. The code to resize images and stuff them appropriately is not all that difficult, lol.

Alachua FL
Username hidden
(3 posts)
A&K,

10,000 x 2% x $29 = $5800

You'd be very disappointed to hear how little that will get you in the way of coding. That wouldn't get you more than a ten page web site of static HTML, by which I mean there would be no software to make anything work, just the HTML to display things.

I'd guess that in the course of a year, that would pay for about 4 inexpensive programmers (i.e. those just starting out) to have on staff.

I'd be really surprised if any of the SLS owners were getting rich off this.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(271 posts)
its lucrative

they claim 10,000 new members each week (front page)

lets say 2% decide to pony up and buy a 3 month membership

10,000 x 2% x $29 is a decent sum of cash a week

not to mention some advertising dollars

seems like they are letting the cash cow die

Grosse Pointe MI
Username hidden
(461 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
TOPIC: Website upgrade Sometime this centrury