Search Function : Swingers Discussion 2210011016
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSSuggestionsWebsiteSearch Function
TOPIC: Search Function
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   16 to 25 of 27   End
User Details are only visible to members.
The search function won't always work. The last few days I cannot search on the computer that I normally use. I can on a different one and on my phone but can't on the computer I always use and could before the last few days.

Can you please fix that problem?

Thanks Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
ST; I suppose you're right...we're just going to have to agree to disagree. We've been SLS members for a loooong while. At one time we presumed that profile age preferences were flexible and did contact people when we were outside of their preferences. After enough polite inquiries were ignored or responded to with "you're too old", or even blocked, that presumption changed. We now presume that if someone is willing to consider us, their profile will say so. In the absence of a profile which is open to older members, the presumption is that there is no interest. Everyone is entitled to have preferences...we have ours too. We prefer to contact couples who aren't going to block or ignore us because of a polite expression of interest. You prefer to view profiles as flexible, and that's okay too. But the flexibility or inflexibility of profiles is a subject for another thread. The thread here is whether it would be desirable (and difficult) to enhance the search function on SLS by including a "Preferred Age Range" filter.

Have a great day! :-)

Username hidden
(786 posts)
The search functionality on this site is awful. One other thing you might consider is to just block the people that are outside of your desired range so they don't show up in the search. Sadly, they've probably done nothing to deserve being blocked but its about the only way you can cull out the no-interest profiles with the archaic search functionality offered to us. This whole site just needs a major overhaul. Its so outdated that it'd be funny if we didn't pay money for it.

New Cumberland PA
Username hidden
(10 posts)
Jack,

I'm afraid that you and I are going to disagree pretty strongly on this issue also.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous post. I don't believe that some people are flexible on ages. I believe MOST are flexible, particularly when there are lots of things in common.

That's important because of your hypothesis that if you only could filter out those who put you outside of your desired age range, you'd save lots of your valuable time and would meet and play with lots more wonderful people. I think instead that you (and everyone else) would miss out on lots of people who might like being friends with you or playing with you. You're using search as a crutch to avoid the hard work of actually reading and thinking about profiles. And writing messages that might ultimately result in rejection.

You know perfectly well how to get a list of people who won't reject you for your age. Search for people from 62-70. They won't think you're too old.

Personally, I find the quote you borrowed about maturity to be offensive. It just casts aspersions on people who don't want to play with you. And let's be honest. Some of those people may be using your age to let you down more easily than telling you the truth -- they don't like something about you that would be infinitely more hurtful than your age, about which, after all, you can do nothing.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(255 posts)
I will admit to being one like ST talks about. Our upper age is set to my husbands age. Why? because I have found darn few men who claim to be even a few years younger then him who don't look like they are in their 70's. But our age limit isn't set in stone, just a guideline.

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(17716 posts)
ST; I agree that many profiles contain 'outdated' ages for the people that the profiles belong to. Nothing that anyone can do about that, short of requiring all members to update their profiles annually and I don't see that happening. <lol> Given that the profiles are what they are, we just have to work with them the best that we can. The point to having the 'range of interest' in the profiles is to tell other members whether they're within our preferred age range...which is important to some (but not all) members. I can't guess which members are flexible in their preferences and which are inflexible, so I must assume that if we're outside of their stated preferences that they don't want to hear from us. We have no problem with that. As our profile states, "if our ages are a concern to you, your maturity may be a concern to us". It just grates on me to have to scroll through page after page after page of "you're too old" to find the few who're actually willing to consider that being 50+ does not equate to dead-below-the-waist-and-above-the-neck. That's what the search function filters are supposedly for...to eliminate profiles that don't meet criteria. Just like eliminating from searches those profiles who live 3-days 1-way driving distance. :-)

Username hidden
(786 posts)
Jack,

I understand your frustration. I'm hugely amused by people who are 54 and 52, and set their range to 30-55. It apparently doesn't occur to them that if they don't want even a few years older, the people who are 30 are more likely not to want people who are 20+ years older.

But you've missed my last point. I don't think people put any thought into the age range, or at least not much. They fill it out when they join and most don't give it another thought. Perhaps when they've been on SLS a while and have a sense for who wants to meet them, they may adjust the range, but look at all the profiles that are 5 years old and are the same as the day they were first written: "we're newbies," "we just decided to try this," "we're nervous about doing this" -- and they have five certs!

So I think you're being too literal. Our experience is that if they like the sound of you, they'll meet you even if you're out of their age range by a few years. I think there are other much more useful clues in their profiles about whether or not they'll accept you. If they mention HWP three times and talk about going to the gym every day, and you aren't and don't, not a good choice. OTOH, if you're seniors swimming champions who compete regionally, they might love you.

And finally, remember that ages on SLS tend to be, shall we say, a bit understated. A good rule of thumb is that everyone is 3 years older than their profile says. So those people for whom you're too old may be getting close to being too old for themselves.

I think you're being a bit too focused on the age thing.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(255 posts)
JackDarlene, We agree, the search function on this site has to be the most backwards, counterproductive set of query parameters we've ever seen. We've also created saved searches with varying age ranges and ironically the least productive search is the one which we enter both our own ages.

We also use the note feature as a reminder of compatible age ranges, but instead of writing "Do Not Message", we enter the profile's preferred age range. This to us seems less negative and we feel that SLS should have simply included this information on every profile's external listing anyway. That way, when you do a search, you can see at a glance if it is worth one's time to even open the profile.

Using the preferred age range info, also clues you to the fact whether or not the other profiles can even see your profile in their search.

Hillsdale NY
Username hidden
(44 posts)
StGal; we do that. I have a saved search which shows 256 couples 50+ within 50 miles of us. Whenever I find a profile that we hadn't seen yet, I make a note in the Remarks "Do Not Message" if we're outside of their stated age range of interest. When I pull up that saved search, the vast majority of profiles all contain "Do Not Message". They may be 50+ but their "range of interest" is 18-55, or 21-50, or 35-55, with a few 21-60. There's no point at all in contacting someone who has no interest in hearing from you, and not much point in conducting a member search that can't report members who might actually be interested in hearing from us. Every now and then I re-run the saved search and scroll through page after page of profiles, hunting for the profile that doesn't already say "Do Not Message" to see if perhaps we're within their age range preferences. Almost always, we're not. Their loss, but my wasted time.

Username hidden
(786 posts)
Jack,

I agree that it would be a useful search criterion, but in its absence you can come up with some rules of thumb that would filter out a lot of people.

In your case, search for people in your area who are older than 55. Even if they say 60 is their limit, they probably have some flexibility, especially since they may not have updated their own ages in 3-5 years.

If you're willing to get some more people who don't want to meet you, drop down to age 50. Depending on your tolerance for rejection, keep dropping down by 5 year increments until you feel as if you're wasting time.

Also -- the age you select is supposed to be the age of the youngest member of the couple, but it doesn't always seem to work out that way. I think it safe to say that almost all older men would be willing to play with much younger women, but fewer women would be willing to play with much older men. Some will love it, of course, but I don't think they're in the majority.

And given the sloppiness with which members treat their profile, not updating it for years and years, I'm not sure the age range they're looking for would be as much help as you hope.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(255 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   16 to 25 of 27   End
TOPIC: Search Function