Search Function : Swingers Discussion 2210011011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSSuggestionsWebsiteSearch Function
TOPIC: Search Function
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 27   End
User Details are only visible to members.
No, Jack, it's not a simple question at all.

In a data base, data for each record (i.e. your profile) is entered into fields. How the field and data are defined will determine how easy it is to design a search query that will work.

If the age range is entered into two number fields, one being the lower limit and one being the upper limit, a search is fairly easy. The query takes your age, sees if it's greater than or equal to the lower limit, but less than or equal to the upper limit, and if so that record is selected and displayed. It's slightly more complicated here because we're dealing with couples. If your data falls in their desired range, but your wife's doesn't, the query has to decide whether or not to display that record to you.

That's fairly easily solved by offering choices to the person doing the query, but as you see from what SLS currently does with searches involving ages, they've taken the easy road and if one member of a couple fits, the couple as a whole fits.

The bigger problem comes if the age range is entered into one field looking something like "30-45" or "30 to 45." Instead of being numerical data, that becomes essentially text. Greater or equal to and less than or equal to are meaningless in this case.

You can work around this IF the data entry is perfect. The first two characters in the field are the lower limit and the fourth and fifth characters are the upper limit (in the case of 30-45). But if the data entry wasn't perfect and you got something like " 30 - 45" sometimes, the search would produce garbage. Given that data has been entered for age range for how many years? the data entry is likely a whole lot less than perfect. Perhaps a whole lot of kludges in the software have been added to make all the different ways the data was entered produce understandable results when viewing the profile.

The easiest way to fix this problem is to divide the one text field into two numerical fields, but it's likely that this would require a huge number of human interventions to deal with garbage results.

So in short, writing the query would be simple, but getting the query to produce meaningful results might be very difficult indeed.

As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, the fact is that people don't give a lot of thought to what they put for desired age ranges. Therefore the search won't produce very useful results in terms of people dying to meet you who have otherwise not been found by you. If I owned the data base, I'd make your request a very low priority indeed unless the range data was already in two separate fields.

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(263 posts)
We've seen responses from lots of people here about our question, but not a peep out of the SLS SysOp. Would it be difficult to code the Search function to include a filter for "Preferred Age Range"? That's a simple question. Yes, or No. If "yes", then it's likely not going to be worth the effort and won't be done. If "no", is it already under consideration? In progress? Something to add to the 'to do' list for an eventual enhancement?

Username hidden
(786 posts)
Someone did contact me and gave me an idea of what to do to fix it and it worked. Thanks so much for the help. It is greatly appreciated!

Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
STGALA,

Thanks for your kind words of wisdom.

Since the search function worked until the latest issue this week when the site was malfunctioning, I thought someone else might have run across the same issues and found something to make it work again.

But thanks, I would have never known not to wait for someone to call me or stop by to fix the problem otherwise. Such a great help you are!

Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
Sophia,

If search works for you on another computer, the problem isn't the site, it's your computer.

If you're waiting for an SLS computer repair person to show up on your doorstep, you'd better stock up on reading material, movies, and lots of snacks.

Given what you've told us, I wouldn't know where to begin to help you troubleshoot.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(263 posts)
The search function won't always work. The last few days I cannot search on the computer that I normally use. I can on a different one and on my phone but can't on the computer I always use and could before the last few days.

Can you please fix that problem?

Thanks Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
ST; I suppose you're right...we're just going to have to agree to disagree. We've been SLS members for a loooong while. At one time we presumed that profile age preferences were flexible and did contact people when we were outside of their preferences. After enough polite inquiries were ignored or responded to with "you're too old", or even blocked, that presumption changed. We now presume that if someone is willing to consider us, their profile will say so. In the absence of a profile which is open to older members, the presumption is that there is no interest. Everyone is entitled to have preferences...we have ours too. We prefer to contact couples who aren't going to block or ignore us because of a polite expression of interest. You prefer to view profiles as flexible, and that's okay too. But the flexibility or inflexibility of profiles is a subject for another thread. The thread here is whether it would be desirable (and difficult) to enhance the search function on SLS by including a "Preferred Age Range" filter.

Have a great day! :-)

Username hidden
(786 posts)
The search functionality on this site is awful. One other thing you might consider is to just block the people that are outside of your desired range so they don't show up in the search. Sadly, they've probably done nothing to deserve being blocked but its about the only way you can cull out the no-interest profiles with the archaic search functionality offered to us. This whole site just needs a major overhaul. Its so outdated that it'd be funny if we didn't pay money for it.

New Cumberland PA
Username hidden
(10 posts)
Jack,

I'm afraid that you and I are going to disagree pretty strongly on this issue also.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous post. I don't believe that some people are flexible on ages. I believe MOST are flexible, particularly when there are lots of things in common.

That's important because of your hypothesis that if you only could filter out those who put you outside of your desired age range, you'd save lots of your valuable time and would meet and play with lots more wonderful people. I think instead that you (and everyone else) would miss out on lots of people who might like being friends with you or playing with you. You're using search as a crutch to avoid the hard work of actually reading and thinking about profiles. And writing messages that might ultimately result in rejection.

You know perfectly well how to get a list of people who won't reject you for your age. Search for people from 62-70. They won't think you're too old.

Personally, I find the quote you borrowed about maturity to be offensive. It just casts aspersions on people who don't want to play with you. And let's be honest. Some of those people may be using your age to let you down more easily than telling you the truth -- they don't like something about you that would be infinitely more hurtful than your age, about which, after all, you can do nothing.

ST

Kitty Hawk NC
Username hidden
(263 posts)
I will admit to being one like ST talks about. Our upper age is set to my husbands age. Why? because I have found darn few men who claim to be even a few years younger then him who don't look like they are in their 70's. But our age limit isn't set in stone, just a guideline.

PG

Louisville KY
Username hidden
(17839 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 27   End
TOPIC: Search Function