SLS' disallowance of web links : Swingers Discussion 204853
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSSuggestionsWebsiteSLS' disallowance of web links
TOPIC: SLS' disallowance of web links
Created by: Fun_Ahoy
Original Starting post for this thread:
This has been discussed before, but isn't it time to do away with the childish filter that prevents use of a web link in emails and forum posts? Some of us like to share news stories or other perfectly harmless references, and have to go through Mickey Mouse routines like adding spaces to a web address in order to do so.

The only reason I've ever heard for SLS blocking links, is that they are afraid of links being used to promote competing sites. Really?

Time to reconsider this absurd policy?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I am betting that the members here would be pretty good about rapidly reporting spammers. Compared to the hassle of inserting spaces to post links, and then removing the spaces, I'll bet everyone would rather allow the URLs, even if they weren't hyperlinked.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10817 posts)
Makes perfect sense to me.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
People spam URL ads on other forums that I'm on, all the time.

Which is one of the reasons we don't want to allow this in our forums.

Margate FL
Username hidden
(67 posts)
People spam URL ads on other forums that I'm on, all the time.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
"We don't allow web links for your protection. If we allowed clickable links, someone could post a link to a malicious page.

Not to mention the increased potential for people spamming the forums with advertisements. "

That has to be the lamest reason i have ever heard.. that would be like Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, or Gmail saying "Hey for you protection we are going to disallow URL's in your emails"

and the advertisement excuse? really.. none of the other sites that we belong to seem to have that issue? just little ol frames based,antiquated SLS.

how it should read is "Not to mention the increased potential for people spamming the forums with advertisements of our competitor sites."

Sebastian FL
Username hidden
(242 posts)
That makes sense. You actually changed my outlook on this Wayne.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
We don't allow web links for your protection. If we allowed clickable links, someone could post a link to a malicious page.

Not to mention the increased potential for people spamming the forums with advertisements.

Gainesville FL
Username hidden
(1862 posts)
"People Hate Change"

This kind of response not only side-steps the issue here; it also ignores what you could see in these threads if anyone bothered to actually read them. Members have been begging for constructive changes: an email system worthy of the 21st century, more useful search and filter capabilities, better pic handling, a cleaner interface, just to name a few. Oh, and code that isn't patched together with baling wire when basic functions break down on a seemingly daily basis.

The rather simple change recommended in this thread shouldn't require much more than disabling the ridiculous filter that prevents posting a web link. Even if it did require re-writing the forum and/or email modules, any DBA or developer worth his salt ought to be able to convert or port the existing data into a new system.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10817 posts)
Fun you are absolutely correct the blocking of links is stupid.. i find it funny that once i was trying to report an error on an SLS page and was trying to put the link in for the particular page and it wouldn't let me..

Also the block on specific other website names is stupid.. Like if I was to type we use to be on "P1ay*#1SVV1nger5" but found more people to mesh with here my post would get blocked if i didn't encrypt the name.

Sebastian FL
Username hidden
(242 posts)
Let me ask this...

If I were to install a new, custom forums... how much screaming, yelling, and gnashing of teeth will happen because I don't import all the messages, replies, etc, over?

People hate change...

Margate FL
Username hidden
(67 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
TOPIC: SLS' disallowance of web links