Cleaning out old Mail : Swingers Discussion 208148101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSSuggestionsWebsiteCleaning out old Mail
TOPIC: Cleaning out old Mail
Created by: JackDarlene
Original Starting post for this thread:
I've looked and looked and see no means by which we can clean out old (Realllyy OOoolldd) mail in the Sent, Archived, and other folders. Some mail goes back Years and pertains to SLS members who haven't been on SLS in many years, so there's no point to wasting server space keeping them. How are we supposed to clean out old mail??
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Wayne:

As your "You cannot delete any messages permanently from your mailbox" seems to indicate, between the Archived messages and the Sent messages that cannot be cleared, SLS maintains a copy of Everything sent and received...Forever. True or false?

Who has the ability to run SQL queries against the database? The SLS system sure seem to need cleaning if todays exercise with free accounts is any guide.

Thank you for your earlier responses! :-)

Fairview Heights IL

Username hidden
(776 posts)
milk , thats mail history and you have to find the profile to use that ,sometimes not easy on SLS. I'm asking about archived mail? there is every thing in there my replys, mail I sent, mail I recieved probably mail I deleted, saved ,opened, didn't open, ect. all I'm saying is I have never found anything in there when I was dumb enough to try looking there lol

Titusville PA

Username hidden
(277 posts)
"Have you tried to run a SQL query"

I do not have low level access to the database. I cannot run an SQL query.

"Your response does not address what, if anything, we as account holders can do to correct this issue."

You cannot delete any messages permanently from your mailbox.

"You further did not respond to my question regarding whether SLS maintains copies of every mail ever sent, with no possibility of deleting old mail"

Messages will be deleted when and if one members (sender or receiver) profile is deleted from the site.

"you ignored my query about why mail is still showing as unread when the recipient has in fact been logging into their account. "

Just because someone is logging into their profile does not mean that they are checking and reading their messages.

Gainesville FL

Username hidden
(1853 posts)
Wayne:

Thank you for deleting those free accounts that we identified as 'extinct'. :-)

Those free profiles were just a sampling of the 'problem' accounts out there. As I said earlier, there are Seven more pages of 'extinct' accounts and undeliverable mail. Have you tried to run a SQL query to identify unused free accounts?

Your response does not address what, if anything, we as account holders can do to correct this issue. You further did not respond to my question regarding whether SLS maintains copies of every mail ever sent, with no possibility of deleting old mail, or how/why mail is 'archived' and how (or whether) we as accountholders can 'clean house'. Lastly, you ignored my query about why mail is still showing as unread when the recipient has in fact been logging into their account.

If we can't tell the diffeence between undelivered mail and delivered-and-ignored mail, how are we to manage our contacts?? As I've stated in previous posts on the subject, we've had reports of "what mail??" when we later crossed paths with other members whose mail was showing as unread. either they're disingenuous, or there is an issue with the mail system.

Fairview Heights IL

Username hidden
(776 posts)
parec60 If you go to a users profile you can easily see the mail history with that person. Granted you have to know their profile name.

JackDarlene. Yes it appears they never delete messages unless an account is removed for some reason.

As Wayne stated there isn't an automated process of removal. It is only when he comes across them. Probably the same as when a profile needs to change type IE single male instead of a couple etc. We personally send these profiles over and he usually fixes them within 24 hours of being notified. I'm sure he has plenty of other things to do then to specifically look at all kinds of profiles to see if they are active or not. But think it wouldn't be that hard for Mark or someone that has direct DB access to run some reports and maybe automate the deletion of some of these really old somewhat useless accounts. Wayne yes it may be a little bit of space for the profile etc. But say someone has 20 pics on their profile those do take up quite a bit of space. Especially if they all have to be on the different servers that are out there. Could help with some of the problems recently of pictures not showing up if there was some cleanup that would happen.

Niles MI

Username hidden
(157 posts)
can be nice at times to see history ? the mail is still there but you will never find what you are looking for again !! like the profile views system the archived mail filing is a complete mystery ? i have no idea how to find old mail to get a number or address its just gone once it goes to archive or where ever.

Titusville PA

Username hidden
(277 posts)
We do not automatically delete unused profiles. If, in the course of my job duties, I see a free profile that has not been used in over 90 days, I will delete it.

Unused profiles do not use up any resources (other than a miniscule amount of storage space), so there is no reason to automatically delete them.

ProfileReview - Wayne

Gainesville FL

Username hidden
(1853 posts)
JackDarlene, Would agree to some extent. If it is a free account then they should be removed at some point of no use. But if it is an account that has a lifetime membership removing it could be a problem. They always have the right to disappear for a few years or more and come back again and should still have that status. Unless you have access through mail or something like that an account will not show up anywhere in searches etc if it has not been online in the last 30 days. So nobody would run across that profile by standard methods on the site. Do agree that some site cleanup would be appropriate. If we delete mail it really isn't deleted at all. Just marked as such and still always there. Can be nice at times as you can still see the history for years back.

Niles MI

Username hidden
(157 posts)
Example; mail sent 1,544 days ago to someone who hasn't logged on to SLS for 1,193 days! They haven't been on SLS for almost 3 1/2 years, and it's Still Sitting there, UNDELIVERED and UNDELETED. There is a LOT of old stuff dangling out there, not just this one piece.

Fairview Heights IL

Username hidden
(776 posts)
TableFor3; yes, we've cleared the cache here. To all appearances, the profiles still exist on SLS but their 'last on' is dated for many YEARS ago. If someone isn't going to logon in several years, why is SLS keeping the profiles active? If SLS is removing such profiles, why are the old emails still present? If SLS is Not removing profiles that haven't been logged for several years, Why Not??

It shouldn't be That big of a job to delete profiles that haven't been used for several years! Since there are a large number of profiles that seem to fit this situation, I can only surmise that it's SLS's way of keeping their membership numbers up, just like Charter Cable tried to do. Comments, SLS?

Fairview Heights IL

Username hidden
(776 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: Cleaning out old Mail