Celiac disease-Gluten Free suggestions : Swingers Discussion 2105431011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsWomen TalkCeliac disease-Gluten Free suggestions
TOPIC: Celiac disease-Gluten Free suggestions
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
OVEN ROASTED VEGETABLES 2 onions 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil 2 cloves garlic, crushed 3 bell peppers, any color 2 zucchini 8 oz. box mushrooms 6 new potatoes, scrubbed 1 tsp. salt coarsely ground pepper 1/2 tsp. oregano 1/2 tbsp. basil 1/2 tsp rosemary

Slice or dice onion. Brown in butter and olive oil for 5 minutes on medium, then reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add garlic last 5 minutes.

Wash and dry remaining vegetables. Any combination of vegetables in season may be used. Cube them into large bite-size pieces. Halve mushrooms, if large. Potatoes can be microwaved (or put in first). Put all vegetables in large, oversized plastic bowl. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and toss to coat well. Arrange vegetables in a baking dish or roasting pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, basil and rosemary. Roast in oven on baking sheets with sides, in a single layer, at 400°F at 350 if using convection feature; reduce heat if vegetables are browning too quickly before they are done. Cook 15 minutes, stir, cook an additional 15 minutes, repeat until done and carmelized. This may take 1 ½ hours. Add more olive oil if the vegetables absorb the oil and become dry during the cooking (or use olive oil spray). Can be served hot or room temperature

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
CARIBBEAN SPICED SWEET POTATOES Bring a taste of the islands to your table with these Caribbean Spiced Sweet Potatoes. Enhanced with lime, honey, and a spice blend that includes garlic, ginger, allspice and chili, this recipe works well year-round. It is also delicious cold in salad! Serves 4 to 6. Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 80 - 90 minutes or until potatoes are tender Ingredients: • 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch chunks • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil • 2 tablespoons honey • Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon) • 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg • 1/8 teaspoon allspice Preparation: Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly oil a large roasting pan or foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, lime juice, garlic, and spices. Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Pour the potatoes and seasonings into the roasting pan or baking sheet, and spread them out into a single layer. Cover the pain tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven, covered and stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour. Remove foil and roast 20 – 30 minutes, or until they are tender and caramelized. Enjoy!

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
TOMATO ORANGE SOUP

4 Servings

½ cup unsalted butter ½ cup onion, diced 2 – (14 1/2) ounce cans diced tomato (do not drain) 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon black pepper ½ teaspoon dried thyme ¼ teaspoon baking soda 1 cup orange juice ½ cup 2% milk (heavy cream can be used instead as can fat-free milk)

In a large saucepan melt butter, then sauté onion until tender. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, and baking soda. Bring to a boil; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Puree in a food processor or blender; return soup to saucepan. Add orange juice and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly and serve. Yum!

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
Gypsy Soup

About 60 minutes Yield: 7 one-cup servings to prepare

2 Tbs. olive oil 2 cups chopped onion 3 medium cloves garlic, minced 1 stalk celery, minced 2 cups peeled, diced sweet potato 1 tsp. salt 2 tsp. mild paprika 1 tsp. turmeric 1 tsp. basil 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper a dash of cinnamon 1 bay leaf 3 cups water

1 cup tomato sauce 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced 1 ½ cups cooked chick peas (15 oz. can) (drain and rinse peas if canned)

Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a kettle or Dutch oven. Add onion, sauté for 5 minutes on medium, then reduce heat to low and sauté, covered, another 15 – 20 minutes. Remove cover, return heat to medium, then add garlic, celery and sweet potato to the kettle; sauté for about 5 minutes. Add salt and sauté 5 minutes more. Add seasonings and water, bring to a gentle boil, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.

Add tomato sauce, bell pepper, and chick peas. Cover and simmer for about 10 more minutes, or until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them. Taste to adjust seasonings, and serve.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
A breakfast/lunch dish:

Crustless Zucchini, Onion and Tomato Quiche A vegetable quiche. SERVES 8 • • 2 cups zucchini, sliced thin • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced • 2 tablespoons olive oil + 1 Tb butter • 4 sun-dried tomato halves, reconstituted and diced • 1/2 teaspoon pepper • 1/2 teaspoon oregano • 1/2 cup Monterey jack or mozzarella cheese, shredded • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded • 3 eggs, beaten • 1 cup milk Directions 1. Sauté onion on low – medium heat in olive oil and butter until browned. Add zucchini and cook until soft. 2. Butter a pie plate, put zucchini mixture in plate and then arrange diced tomato on top of zucchini. 3. Add pepper, oregano, and then top with shredded cheese. 4. Combine eggs and milk pour on top. 5. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until set.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
A dessert:

Raspberry Meringues 2 egg whites ½ c. sugar ¼ t. cream of tartar ½ t. raspberry extract (or raspberry liqueur, such as Chambord) 6-8 drops green or red food coloring (optional) 1 c. regular or mini semisweet chocolate chips Additional chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 200º. Grease WELL 2 baking sheets. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time; continue to beat, scraping bowl occasionally until mixture holds stiff, glossy peaks. Add raspberry extract and mix for 30 seconds. Add food color and mix for another 30 seconds. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Drop meringue mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Decorate tops of cookies with additional chocolate chips, if desired. Bake until outsides of cookies are dry and set, about 1 hour. Cookies should not turn brown. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks and let cool completely. Store airtight. Yield: About 3 dozen

You can substitute virtually any flavor extract (or liqueur, such as Kahlua or Bailey's) and they'll still be great, or use cocoa powder or crushed peppermint in place of the extract. I've made several batches in various flavors and given out mixed batches.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
Here's a good applesauce recipe that also has cranberries, and is quite good with anticipated holiday food. I'm sure I found it on the internet. If she uses a computer and has a connection, that is a fantastic source for recipes she could use.

Cranberry Applesauce Recipe MAKES 2 QUARTS (8 CUPS) INGREDIENTS • 3 to 4 pounds of peeled, cored, roughly chopped Granny Smith apples (or other good cooking apple such as Golden Delicious, Fuji, Jonathan, Mcintosh, or Gravenstein) • 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries • 2 Tbsp lemon juice • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon • 1/4 cup of brown sugar • 1/2 cup white sugar • 1 cup water • 1/2 teaspoon salt

METHOD 1. Place all of the ingredients in a large (5-quart) pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 20-30 minutes, or until the apples can easily be mashed.

2. Remove from heat. Mash the apples and cranberries with a potato masher to the consistency you want.

Serve hot as a side to pork or turkey. Or serve hot or cold as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream. Store in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, or freeze for up to a year. Makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(9107 posts)
Thanks for the tip. Sadly she lives a smaller town and they only have 2 grocery stores local. she said the largest had a 4 ft section. I do know there is a Co Op Health Food store there and I will suggest that. Now that you've mentioned it I vaguely remember a larger selection there. Having raised 4 kids who were all Vegan or Vegetarians I've shopped there far more times than I care to recall lol. She is a dessert freak so any goodies type foods would be greatly appreciated. I know it must be tricky to make gluten free treats, it drove me nutty when 2 of the 4 of my kids were Vegan and baking without dairy was hard enough to get a good texture and flavor. I've been doing my homework online as well but pulling a recipe is always risky, I'd love some tried and true treats.

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
Good morning Mrs. Sav. Does your friend have a market such as Fresh Market or Whole Foods Market nearby? The tend to be two, in addition to health food stores that carry a greater inventory of gluten free products. Many restaurants are now marking product as gluten free on their menus. However, there's very little regulation on this and commercial kitchens and bakeries often are preparing foods side by side leading to a cross contamination. Among the chains, Carrabas Italian Grill is one she can definitely count on to do it right. I've been in their kitchens. I'll put together as many ideas as I can think of and share in here. Mango salsa is yummy! I add fresh pineapple to mine fo ra little extra zing.

Saint Augustine FL
Username hidden
(12560 posts)
Scandle, thanks for the recipe I do appreciate it and will pass it along. I posted it here for lack of a "better" spot feeling women "generally" do most of the cooking and I had hoped someone might have a child so they'd have experience this and the limits on foods and eating gluten free as a way of life. Of course input from men is welcome but I notice they don't pass by this topic strictly because it is titled "women" any more than we women skip the "mens" forums...so here we are.

Mrs Sav

Anniston AL
Username hidden
(5501 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
TOPIC: Celiac disease-Gluten Free suggestions