The definition of a word : Swingers Discussion 37447
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsSwinger AdviceThe definition of a word
TOPIC: The definition of a word
Created by: CuriousNew The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 15   End
User Details are only visible to members.
That devils advocate thing gets me in trouble too. Not my intent to be critical, just trying to get poeple to think about things from other perspectives.

Mike

Bedford PA

Username hidden
(5527 posts)
Of course, Mike, it's all shades of grey. That's what I love about these discussions. Every person interprets meaning through his or her own filter, and it's fascinating to me to see this in action right here on this site. I've not been critical, and have tried hard not to sound that way. I also enjoy playing devil's advocate. <grin> My mother told me years ago that I should have studied law.

Kirk

Muncie IN

Username hidden
(66 posts)
Kirk, Everything is relative, including application. How long is a long list? Two people can look at the same list, one sees short, the other sees long, probably relative to the length of their own list. Someone who has just made a big step in a new direction will probably see themself as very openminded, even with a list that others may see as long.

Mike

Bedford PA

Username hidden
(5527 posts)
AH! Moral turpitude, the billy club of the righteous and indignant. <sigh>

Kirk

Muncie IN

Username hidden
(66 posts)
Those clauses are common. Moral turpitude. They can't define it, but they know it when they see it.

I have a similar issue...

mischief

Glen Burnie MD

Username hidden
(2783 posts)
C'mere Lisa. I'll do absolutely discreet and confidential things with you! LOL

Jim

South Riding VA

Username hidden
(8172 posts)
Mike, I kind of figured that as a decent, though poorly worded, definition of the phrase that most people would agree upon. Maybe, then, it is a problem in the application of the phrase "open-minded" to someone follows it with a long list of things that they refuse to try or accept.

Curious, I had the same thought pattern that you did, about meeting someone at a swinger's function, but to each his own, I guess. I was trying, in the earlier post, to be a bit humorous and absurd for the sake of argument, because it does seem that there are a number of professions that couldn't weather the storm of meeting someone known.

NJ, I certainly wasn't criticizing, just making an observation

Kirk

Muncie IN

Username hidden
(66 posts)
Letsplay said, "To me, I see it as being ready to experience things that I'm not sure that I'll enjoy, or that I'll accept someone or something for what it is."

I like that, pretty much says it all

Mike

Bedford PA

Username hidden
(5527 posts)
LetsPlay, like you, "open minded" to us means that someone is receptive to new ideas or new experiences. It does seem that a long list of "won'ts" is counter to that concept.

At least you didn't say "open mined" instead of "open minded." LOL

South Riding VA

Username hidden
(8172 posts)
OK,

Same topic, different word. Open-minded. I have read, oodles, of profiles where the authors state that they are "open-minded" then go on to have a long grocery-list of the things and types of people that they just won't do. What's the general consensus of being "open-minded"? To me, I see it as being ready to experience things that I'm not sure that I'll enjoy, or that I'll accept someone or something for what it is. My mother would be proud. Her favorite saying, ai I was growing up was, "How do you know that you don't like it if you've never tried it." Of course, she was usually trying to get me to et my vegetables. LOL

Kirk

Muncie IN

Username hidden
(66 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 15   End
TOPIC: The definition of a word