Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Senior Swingers › All things Medicare and Social Security
TOPIC: All things Medicare and Social Security
Created by: mayhem8
Original Starting post for this thread:
I am approaching the time where I am getting these fear inducing messages about making sure I sign up for Medicare. As far as I can tell, it is not required for me to do so until I stop being covered by a qualified work based health plan. Once that plan coverage ends (i.e. I stop working), I have an 8 month window to sign up for Part A and B with no penalties. After that 8 month period I can incur some pretty severe penalties.

Also as far as I can tell, the Part A (hospitalization coverage) is free for me, so there is no downside in my signing up for Part A. The problem is that everything short of a phone call that allows me to sign up for Part A appears to have me opting to collect Social Security, which I definitely don't want to do. Is it just me or is this being made way more complicated/convoluted than it needs to be?

When I went to Medicare. gov, there was a questionaire about if I'm still working and have coverage through work, which I do. It said to sign up for Part A I need a Medicare #, which I had to create a SS account to get. So I do that and have to wait 5-10 days to get a code via snail mail to activate my SS account. I get the code and activate my SS account.

Next I get to a spot in my SS account where I have to view a Benefits Verification Letter to get my Medicare #, which I do, but it does not list a Medicare number. It lists a BNC #, but I couldn't see if that equates to Medicare #. Everything I see online about signing up for Medicare makes it sound like I'll be signing up to collect SS as well.

Is it just me, or are others finding this system as fucked up as I am?

At 65, even though I'm still working and have health care coverage at work, I can still be signed up for Part A. In theory, if I wind up in the hospital at that point I can submit my hospitalization claims through my work health care and assume I can file a claim against Part A for any unpaid remainder. If so, it seems I'd want the free Part A, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get JUST that.

Anyone else that has gone through this that can shed some light on it?

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »
1 to 10 of 84
User Details are only visible to members.

Due to new laws enacted by The US Government, we are making some changes to our business model and policies which limits access to our free members.

Please understand that our priority is to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for like minded people. These changes are required to meet that goal.

Auburn NH US
Username hidden
(8327 posts)

Due to new laws enacted by The US Government, we are making some changes to our business model and policies which limits access to our free members.

Please understand that our priority is to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for like minded people. These changes are required to meet that goal.

Woodstock GA US
Username hidden
(4067 posts)

Raleigh NC US
Username hidden
(163 posts)

Baltimore MD US
Username hidden
(27 posts)

Bedford PA
Username hidden
(77 posts)

Username hidden
(59 posts)

Morganton NC US
Username hidden
(122 posts)

Username hidden
(59 posts)

Raleigh NC US
Username hidden
(163 posts)

Morganton NC US
Username hidden
(122 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »
1 to 10 of 84
TOPIC: All things Medicare and Social Security
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Service  |  Privacy Policy  |  FOSTA Compliance Policy

Copyright © 1998- DashBoardHosting, LLC., and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.