hpv : Swingers Discussion 127097101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsSafe Sexhpv
TOPIC: hpv
Created by: omh44 The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
User Details are only visible to members.
This topic came up in a recent discussion with friends. Since most people contract HPV at some point in their lives, and don't even know they have it, it is very easily spread. Most forms do not cause warts or any visible signs. Once the woman is diagnosed (our dr screens for it automatically when I get my pap), it is just assumed her partner has it. It can be spread through oral sex as well as non-protected intercourse. That means everyone who has "gone down" on her has probably picked it up and spread it to THEIR partners and anyone else they have played with since. All that being said, it seems you are more likely to get it than not, if you are in this life style. Some have said this is just a risk you take. I know what the politically correct answer to this will be, but wonder if we can have a frank hypothetical discussion. If you were diagnosed, would you tell previous and potential playmates? Or just insist on condoms and hope for the best? The key problem here, I think, is that (relatively rarely, as I understand from the CDC site) some forms cause cancers. Not just cervical, but also oral and throat cancers. How would you feel if you knew you were infected, didn't say anything and later found out someone had cancer? You might have been at fault, but it might just as easily have been someone else...

Claremont CA
Username hidden
(1 post)
From the CDC site: "Genital human papillomavirus (HPV) is a common virus. Most sexually active people in the United States (U.S.) will have HPV at some time in their lives.

The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types that can cause cancer.

Currently, there is NO TEST to find HPV in men. The only approved HPV tests on the market are not useful for screening for HPV-related cancers or genital warts in men."

But wait...there is GOOD NEWS: From Genital HPV Infection - CDC Fact Sheet: "Unfortunately, there is no medical cure for HPV. The good news 90% of people with a healthy immune system will clear the virus, without medical treatment, within two years of becoming infected."

Herpes on the other hand has NO CURE and it will be with you for life. I wouldn't put these two STDs in the same categories.

Hope these facts have put some of you at ease.

Newport Beach CA
Username hidden
(79 posts)
A bit more information about HPV:

There are something like 100 different variants of HPV. Some of them can cause genital warts and some can cause cervical disease that may lead to cancer. The vast majority are low risk, i.e. they do not cause either of those things.

a1969couple , The body can clear an HPV infection, in which case the person does not have it anymore. It's when it hangs around that you end up with problems like bad pap smears.

Canton NY
Username hidden
(23 posts)
Excellent and informative thread.

Condoms may not protect from everything, but neither do seatbelts - they are just the most practical and effective choice at hand to reasonably minimize risk.

That said, to those contending that "most people have it" and "most people don't know it", CDC statistics say otherwise. True, a LOT of people have it, and most of those who have it don't know it. But it's also true most people aren't in the lifestyle. If you go to Africa, you get malaria shots; if you're going to be in the lifestyle, you should get tested periodically so you can never say you "didn't know". If anyone should be aware of what they have and don't, it should be members of this community.

Hopkinton MA
Username hidden
(256 posts)
Obviously, HPV is most commonly spread through sexual contact especially since many people that have it, have no idea. It's not a fragile virus though and can survive outside the body. HIV is fragile which is why it can't be spread through contact other than sexual or direct blood to blood contact.

It's all just food for thought.

E

Newark NJ
Username hidden
(515 posts)
I just reread your quote from the CDC and noticed that they don't know if it can be, the key word is "if at all." Good points you brought up though, thanks, I'm going to do some homework.

Austin TX
Username hidden
(138 posts)
HIV is a virus also but you can't get it from a toilet seat, or sharing utensils or drinking after someone. Herpes can be caught from reside on a washcloth, or any other surface because of the fluid that's leaked, but you don't have that with HPV. Guess I'll have to look at that in more depth, because through hours of training over many years HPV caught from a non skin surface was never presented. Now a wart on a different part of the body other than the genitals can be transmitted through contact, especially with muscus membranes.

Austin TX
Username hidden
(138 posts)
From the CDC website:

HPV is typically transmitted through direct skin-to-skin contact. The virus may also spread by touching something that has been contaminated with the virus and then touching the skin, although how often this occurs, if at all, is not known.

So yes, it is possible to get it from contact other than sexual. It's a virus, which means that it is possible to be transmitted through normal contact. Some viruses are fragile and can't live when exposed to air (HIV) but some, like the flu virus, can. The make up of HPV can survive when exposed to air.

E

Newark NJ
Username hidden
(515 posts)
Don't believe I've ever seen anything about getting HPV from a toilet seat, it is a human contact transmitted infection. Actually, STI is not a separate classification from STDs, the term has simply been changed from STD to STI because of a belief that STI more accurately reflects what they are, infections as opposed to diseases.

Austin TX
Username hidden
(138 posts)
A person can contract HPV from anything from a toilet seat, to a bikini wax. It's not really an STD, but rather an STI (sexually transmitted infection). It falls under a slightly different classification than an STD.

HPV has been around for more years than the awareness has been. Not all strains of HPV cause cancer, just like not all strains cause warts either. It can lay dormant in a person for YEARS.

Currently, there is no test to see if a man carries the virus, so all the blame and responsibility is falling on the woman.

But, to refer back to the OP, a condom isn't 100% effective against ANYTHING.

E

Newark NJ
Username hidden
(515 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
TOPIC: hpv