Throat Cancer: The New STD via HPV : Swingers Discussion 78774101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsSafe SexThroat Cancer: The New STD via HPV
TOPIC: Throat Cancer: The New STD via HPV
Created by: happyduo
Original Starting post for this thread:
A new study recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine reveals findings linking the HPV virus to increased incidences of throat cancer.

..."The study, involving 300 subjects with and without throat cancer, found that those infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV) were 32 times more likely to develop one form of oral cancer than those free of the virus. Although previous research had indicated HPV caused oral cancer, the new study is the first to definitely establish the link, researchers said"... -WashingtonPost

The new findings may also explain why there has been a growing increase in oral and throat cancers among younger people and others who have never smoked or have never been heavy drinkers. It also decries the myth that oral sex is safe sex.

The study was led by Maura Gillison, Assistant Professor of Oncology and Epidemiology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution in Baltimore.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
User Details are only visible to members.
Happy, LOL, I agree with your post on NY drivers. We rode in a car driven by someone from NY, and he is a frickin maniac! I swear man, that dude is crazy LOL Shell

San Marcos TX
Username hidden
(23995 posts)
Luv:

I'm laughing at your D/D free line. There was a guy on here who declared anyone with an oral cold sore...not D/D free. He included a 5yo child as having an STD. He's since gone the way he needed to go...out Technically, he was not wrong.. HSV-1 can easily be spread to the Genitals. Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!

There is no such thing as d/d free if you count HSV-1, HPV and the like. A lack of symptoms is just that. It doesn't mean a thing. Did you go to college? Bare back like we all did in the 70's? Unless you played with total virgins...

You get my drift. Lack of symptoms doesn't mean lack of infection. Ever have a wart.? Then you have had HPV. No biggie..the body clears most of them. Yes, 16, 18, 6 and one other are bigger problems.... but...no I'm not going to try and get a vaccine I don't need.

Regular STD checks by a lifestyle understanding gyn, Paps, and condoms have kept me healthy for decades.

Hell, I'm even Hep-C negative...amazing to say the least.

YMWV, M.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I don't need it. I got it in college just like everyone else I know. That's right. I had grade 3 CIN when I was 22.. The horse is already out of the barn. It's not recommended for women that old. They already have it, too. I can't remember the highest age I have seen but it's...20 or 22.

My gyn used to swing. She doesn't recommend it for anyone even close to my age and with my 30 year history of multiple partner sex.

It's easy to deal with. Certainly not the biggest blip on my radar screen. Suggest being more concerned if you are unvaccinated against Hep B. Also if you engage in rectal intercourse. Getting a rectal pap is important. This includes men as well.

I assume you have a medical degree/data to back up your assertion.

Mischief

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
Mischief, it's a huge problem down here. Most people are driving on the library cards, green cards and ss cards. I'd almost bet that nearly 50% of drivers down here have had their licenses revoked and they are still driving. The seniors have a bad habit of slamming on thier gas pedals instead of the breaks. Scarey stuff. Like I said, stay off of I95 when you can. Take the turnpike if you have to drive long distance through Florida and don't even bother driving in the rain. People don't know how to drive in the rain here...they just go fast (thanks to NY drivers who think they're on a race track). LOL, I'll probably get hit on that one, but talk to any road cop and they'll tell you who the big offenders are ;-) Just make sure you always wear a seat belt. It's crazy down here.

We need a full body car condom.

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
I don't know about every state, but Florida is DANGEROUS on the highway. My intuition told me to get a larger rental car. We were rear ended by a HUGE SUV in stop and go traffic. The woman got the brake and the gas pedal reversed. Her engine kept whining at high speed while I'm standing on the brake and tugging at the emergency brake. She's shoving me into the Audi in front of me. We just nicked it before she let off on the gas. Whew.

The night in the swing club was a piece of cake compared to that. Serious shit. I would have to rethink my love of smaller sports cars, If I moved to Florida.

Mischief

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
LOL...I hear ya, Mischief. I stay off of I95 at all costs and always wear my seat belt ...and use condoms...and screen playmates...and... ;-)

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
When I had my upper GI, I told the Dr. that I engage in fellatio and wanted him to be on the look out for HPV induced cellar changes.

I have only heard of one person with HPV related Throat CA. The other place to make sure that is free and clear is the rectum. MSM and women who engage in receptive anal intercourse need rectal paps. That's more pressing than throat ca from HPV, in my opinion.

It's always been a scary world. I do what I can to decrease my risks. It does not keep me from living. Relative risk assessment is the key. The most dangerous thing I do? Drive on the Beltway. I do that every day. That's where my real risk it.

Mischief

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I notice that too. At least if people are reading and researching they can make more informed choices about what activities they will engage in. Not too long ago getting the crabs or a dose of the clap was considered the worst you might get. These days we see more virulent strains of STD's that can, at the very least, make your life a living hell if not end it altogether.

Even healthy activities give cause for concern when you consider the increased amount of MRSA cases in young populations. The gym is becoming quite the breeding ground for the spread of antibiotic resistent staph infection. Another good reason to bring a bottle of disinfectant with you to the gym to spray the equipment before and after you use it.

Scarey, isn't it?

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
I think I know why there's not a whole lot of postings under the safe sex thread, it's because the more you learn the scarier it gets! Thank you for the new info. Mrs.

Tyler TX
Username hidden
(261 posts)
A new study recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine reveals findings linking the HPV virus to increased incidences of throat cancer.

..."The study, involving 300 subjects with and without throat cancer, found that those infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV) were 32 times more likely to develop one form of oral cancer than those free of the virus. Although previous research had indicated HPV caused oral cancer, the new study is the first to definitely establish the link, researchers said"... -WashingtonPost

The new findings may also explain why there has been a growing increase in oral and throat cancers among younger people and others who have never smoked or have never been heavy drinkers. It also decries the myth that oral sex is safe sex.

The study was led by Maura Gillison, Assistant Professor of Oncology and Epidemiology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution in Baltimore.

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
TOPIC: Throat Cancer: The New STD via HPV