Sex spreads MRSA infection : Swingers Discussion 71794
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsSafe SexSex spreads MRSA infection
TOPIC: Sex spreads MRSA infection
Created by: DaddyDom
Original Starting post for this thread:
I was following an article in the pappers back east, about MRSA infection being spread by illegal tatoo artists...seems alot of sports people, and others were coming to hosptials with rash that would not go away. It was MRSA...

Now this comes out in usa today.... A virulent, drug-resistant form of staph bacteria that has spread across the USA since it was identified in 2000 can be spread by sexual activity, a mode of transmission that is "important and previously unrecognized," a new study says.

Scientists at Columbia University Medical Center, reporting in the Feb. 1 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, identified three cases in which the bacteria known as community-associated MRSA passed between sexual partners.

SUPERBUGS: Fear spreads far and wide

The report is the first to document the spread of MRSA through heterosexual activity, says Rachel Gorwitz of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"MRSA is transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact," she says, "so it's not surprising it could be transmitted during sex."

MRSA once occurred primarily in hospitalized patients, but in recent years, a new strain has emerged that causes persistent skin infections in young, healthy people who have not been hospitalized, including football players and military recruits.

In the new study, researchers looked at 114 households in Manhattan where MRSA infections had been identified and found three in which the bacteria was spread by sexual activity.

In two cases, the women said they regularly shaved their pubic area, and their sexual partners had "pimples" in the groin area, researchers say.

In a third, the woman had MRSA-positive abscesses on her buttock, and her husband later developed a rash and MRSA-positive boils on his body. One of the women also had herpes.

The spread of MRSA through sexual activity has been seen by emergency room doctors, says James Roberts of Mercy Hospital of Philadelphia.

In a letter published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine in January, he reported treating a lap dancer for MRSA infections on her buttocks.

"She relayed that other lap dancers at her club had similar problems, considered a known occupational hazard by the women," he wrote.

Researcher Frank Lowy, lead author of the Columbia report, says the study indicates that people should refrain from sex if they have open lesions. "They have to be alert to the fact there's a new bug in town," he says, "and one potential means of transmission is sexual activity."

Just be aware folks...

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
User Details are only visible to members.
OMG MRSA is such a pain in the ass in the medical field. I worked in the foot and ankle and we dealt with lots of nasty wounds. MRSA is just nasty stuff. The problem with it is its just so damn communicable. The dr and staff would double glove, I would clean everything in alcohol and THEN autoclave it. I have friends in surgeon's offices who got it. Usually its just a painful area that looks like a painful pimple. But sometimes damn it will create a hole. I have had it in the past when I worked in the medical office as well, leaves a very nasty scar. I don't know about sex spreading it but if you are rubbing up against someone with it anywhere on their body yes, you can get it. Again, usually its just a painful pimple like area. But dammit when it gets angry does it ever get angry. The OR was always trying to keep it under control and nursing homes deal with it regularly as well. Nasty, nasty stuff. Shell

Username hidden
(23992 posts)
My wife's primary care physician told her that virtually EVERY health care worker is already colonized by MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aurea). That's why it is known as a "hospital disease" that is most frequently acquired by patents who entered a hospital without it and contracted the infection while there.

My 89-year-old dad went to the hospital in October with a gall bladder infection. While there, he contracted MRSA pneumonia in both lungs. He didn't come home from the hospital until Easter.

There is a growing movement now that would prevent hospitals from charging patients or their insurance companies for MRSA infections acquired in the hospital. The same is true for Clostridium difficile, aka C-dif, which is an intestinal infection resistant to antibiotics and also almost always acquired in the hospital by patients who didn't have it when they entered the hospital.

Jim

South Riding VA
Username hidden
(8172 posts)
Many people forget that SWEAT is a body fluid...something most people in dungeon circles are made aware of early on. As tattooists, we have had swarms of people coming down with MRSA that are known to us (we see it on release forms)...where are they getting it? Clinics, the gym, restaurant kitchens, EVERYWHERE people are in close proximity. A whole team of gymnasts at the local high school contracted it from poorly-cleaned gym mats. Is there a point to this story? Probably not. It pays to be informed (as we are required to be for our careers) but it is impossible to protect yourself completely. The best advice from our supervising doctor...wash your hands often, try to keep your immunities strong, and hope for the best. We use plastic arm sleeves for people that know they carry the blood version, and won't tattoo anyone with sores of any kind. To that I would add...maybe incorporate a sexy shower post-play. The worst part is that we have done this to ourselves by using far too many anti-bacterial household products and giving out antibiotics like candy. Go figure evolution happens and germs get stronger...

Cocoa FL
Username hidden
(645 posts)
Usually the MRSA that is transmitted via health care professionals is airborne. Thus creating a breeding ground for phenomena,,,,,, at least that has been my understanding.

Mine was a skin infection, that almost went into my blood.

MRSA is an infection that is resistant to most antibiotics. I am assuming I got it because of all the past antibiotic therapies I have been on. I had a whole year where I was a walking talking sinus infection, and was on some pretty strong stuff. Just another good reason to never take a dose of antibiotics unless you really need them. I know people who will just think they are coming down with something, and take some antibiotics they have left from a previous dose. We do build up immunities to this stuff, and trust me you don't want to do that.

Sha'

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(13 posts)
Mrs. Bunny:

Do you work in a health care environment? Thanks for all the info. It is greatly appreciated.

M.

Glen Burnie MD
Username hidden
(2783 posts)
I have been inflicted with MRSA a few times, the last being the worst. I actually had to have the last abcess taken care of by the surgeon. And yes there is now a terrible scar there, and I may have to have another surgery to remove the pocket inside that was left from the scarring because there was so much trauma. To make matters worse, the area infected was from an ingrown hair in my groin, and being active in the Lifestyle I am a lil self conscious of the scarrring. Ugly ugly ugly is all I can say :-[ The advice from my doc, was to wash with Phisohex {what I like to call my $50.00 shower gel} from head to toe, and under my nails twice daily. They also recommend that any of my sex partners do the same, so yes they do feel it can be transmitted sexually, but only due to the skin on skin contact {its not an STD}. You can be a carrier, but both MrBunny and I have been tested and neither of us are. However now that I have had it, it is more likely than not that if I get any infections on my skin, it will be MRSA. I have also heard from a friend whos nephew had it, it is infecting children like wild fire. They are having to go through the surgical process I went through, and let me tell you the infections are unbearable. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and it is too much for even me. I can only imagine what these children must go through, and I feel terrible for them. MRSA is not to be taken lightly, and is becoming more and more widespread. If anyone has a skin infection that will not go away with your average antibiotic, get tested for MRSA. Scarry stuff, and my friend who did some extensive research has even read that it can live on toilet seats,,,, even scarier. If anyone has any questions and wants to email me privately, plz feel free to do so. Kisses Sha'

Sacramento CA
Username hidden
(13 posts)
You can still have booger flicking contests. Just don't flick at each other and remember to wash your hands after ;-)

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
proably most of the population has MRSA and just doesn't realize it. I work as an RN in an ER. and see it daily. it is spread with skin to skin contact on a wound. everyone thinks that it something deadly, lots of people live with it daily. when open wounds are cultured MRSA it usually there. if people would also finish up all atb given, then these bugs would go away and not keep getting stronger

Alexandria OH
Username hidden
(1 post)
There was a scare of this in the hospital when I had my last child, It was pretty rough and something to keep your ears open on.. mrs curved

Cumming GA
Username hidden
(53 posts)
I was following an article in the pappers back east, about MRSA infection being spread by illegal tatoo artists...seems alot of sports people, and others were coming to hosptials with rash that would not go away. It was MRSA...

Now this comes out in usa today.... A virulent, drug-resistant form of staph bacteria that has spread across the USA since it was identified in 2000 can be spread by sexual activity, a mode of transmission that is "important and previously unrecognized," a new study says.

Scientists at Columbia University Medical Center, reporting in the Feb. 1 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, identified three cases in which the bacteria known as community-associated MRSA passed between sexual partners.

SUPERBUGS: Fear spreads far and wide

The report is the first to document the spread of MRSA through heterosexual activity, says Rachel Gorwitz of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"MRSA is transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact," she says, "so it's not surprising it could be transmitted during sex."

MRSA once occurred primarily in hospitalized patients, but in recent years, a new strain has emerged that causes persistent skin infections in young, healthy people who have not been hospitalized, including football players and military recruits.

In the new study, researchers looked at 114 households in Manhattan where MRSA infections had been identified and found three in which the bacteria was spread by sexual activity.

In two cases, the women said they regularly shaved their pubic area, and their sexual partners had "pimples" in the groin area, researchers say.

In a third, the woman had MRSA-positive abscesses on her buttock, and her husband later developed a rash and MRSA-positive boils on his body. One of the women also had herpes.

The spread of MRSA through sexual activity has been seen by emergency room doctors, says James Roberts of Mercy Hospital of Philadelphia.

In a letter published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine in January, he reported treating a lap dancer for MRSA infections on her buttocks.

"She relayed that other lap dancers at her club had similar problems, considered a known occupational hazard by the women," he wrote.

Researcher Frank Lowy, lead author of the Columbia report, says the study indicates that people should refrain from sex if they have open lesions. "They have to be alert to the fact there's a new bug in town," he says, "and one potential means of transmission is sexual activity."

Just be aware folks...

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(1 post)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
TOPIC: Sex spreads MRSA infection