Disease risk higher for swingers than prostitutes : Swingers Discussion 159977
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsSafe SexDisease risk higher for swingers than prostitutes
TOPIC: Disease risk higher for swingers than prostitutes
Created by: swinginpixie
Original Starting post for this thread:
A study submitted in April 2010 by Maastricht University Medical Centre in the Netherlands.

Google it for more info.

______

Abstract

Background

Identification of STI risk groups is essential for optimal prevention and medical care. Until now, swingers—that is, heterosexual couples who are practising mate swapping, group sex, visit sex clubs for couples, are not considered as a specific risk group for STI in healthcare services and prevention.

Objective

To compare STI prevalence rates in swingers with that in other risk groups.

Methods

At the STI clinic, South Limburg, The Netherlands, whether an attendee is a swinger has been systematically registered since 2007. STI clinic surveillance data were analysed to assess the swingers' share of consultations and STI diagnoses—here Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and/or Neisseria gonorrhoea (NG).

Results

Of 8971 consultations, 12% comprised swingers (median age 43?years, IQR 38–48). Overall, STI prevalence was highest in youth, men who have sex with men (MSM) and swingers. Older swingers had a CT prevalence of 10% and an NG prevalence of 4%. The share in STI diagnoses in the older age group (>45?years) comprised 55% for swingers and 31% for MSM.

Conclusions

Swingers comprise a substantial proportion of STI consultations. They are a mainly older age group and form an important part of STI diagnoses. While other risk groups for STI, such as young heterosexuals and MSM, are systematically identified at STI healthcare facilities and provided with appropriate services, this is generally not the case for swingers. Swingers, like other groups with risk behaviours, need to be identified and treated as a risk group in STI prevention and care.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
User Details are only visible to members.
So by that logic, a wall street trader who is also a swinger, would stand a higher risk for contraction than the "average joe" swinger?

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(954 posts)
"The primary factor in disease is immunity. The factors that compromise immunity IV/ illicit drug use, poor nutrition and stress will be generally higher in a prostitution controlled group vs swingers. "

That would all depend on the individuals contributing to the study. The factos of drug use, nutrition, and stress level are not specific to individuals in the prostitution trade. Those in that industry are no different than any of the rest of us, outside of the fact that they use sex as a means to support themselves...it does not mean that they are on drugs, don't eat properly or have higher stress lives than the rest of us.

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(954 posts)
If you look at it from a couple different angles, this actually makes sense. Chances are, in most cases, that swingers (in general) are more likely to be more trusting as far as comfort levels go...where as a "professional" would probably be more careful as almost everyone is a stranger, and this is not only a hobby for them, but also their source of income. Of course there are going to be exceptions to any study or theory. You're going to have the swingers who are always careful and never fully trust anyone outside of their own partner, as well as you are going to have the prostitutes that are not careful and take risks. It all comes down to the individual and their own actions.

Raleigh NC
Username hidden
(954 posts)
When we're at parties if I change playmates, I change my glove. Everyone should it's just courteous.

Hendersonville TN
Username hidden
(1188 posts)
Those people need a few of those plastic separaters that you use on the grocery store conveyor belt. Make the guy change condoms when they come to a new playerl.

Augusta NJ
Username hidden
(16055 posts)
I have definately seen some shit in group play that scared the living shit out of me for sure. Sometimes its nice to stay completely sober, sit back and just observe. We were at a party and I was on my monthly so sat it out...and what I saw was worrisome....men going from woman to woman to woman without re-gloving, women going from guy to guy...it made me really glad to be clothed. Its the whole "it'll never happen to me" theory...until you are told you have chlamydia.

Username hidden
(23994 posts)
A study submitted in April 2010 by Maastricht University Medical Centre in the Netherlands.

Google it for more info.

______

Abstract

Background

Identification of STI risk groups is essential for optimal prevention and medical care. Until now, swingers—that is, heterosexual couples who are practising mate swapping, group sex, visit sex clubs for couples, are not considered as a specific risk group for STI in healthcare services and prevention.

Objective

To compare STI prevalence rates in swingers with that in other risk groups.

Methods

At the STI clinic, South Limburg, The Netherlands, whether an attendee is a swinger has been systematically registered since 2007. STI clinic surveillance data were analysed to assess the swingers' share of consultations and STI diagnoses—here Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and/or Neisseria gonorrhoea (NG).

Results

Of 8971 consultations, 12% comprised swingers (median age 43?years, IQR 38–48). Overall, STI prevalence was highest in youth, men who have sex with men (MSM) and swingers. Older swingers had a CT prevalence of 10% and an NG prevalence of 4%. The share in STI diagnoses in the older age group (>45?years) comprised 55% for swingers and 31% for MSM.

Conclusions

Swingers comprise a substantial proportion of STI consultations. They are a mainly older age group and form an important part of STI diagnoses. While other risk groups for STI, such as young heterosexuals and MSM, are systematically identified at STI healthcare facilities and provided with appropriate services, this is generally not the case for swingers. Swingers, like other groups with risk behaviours, need to be identified and treated as a risk group in STI prevention and care.

Panama City Beach FL
Username hidden
(293 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
TOPIC: Disease risk higher for swingers than prostitutes