Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics fucked up
TOPIC: fucked up
Created by: perfectmatch69
Original Starting post for this thread:
(CNN) -- A California school that stopped students from wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo didn't violate their constitutional rights, an appeals court ruled Thursday.

The school's approach, according to the appeals court, kept students safe in a climate of racial tension.

"The controversy and tension remained," a panel of judges from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals said in their opinion, "but the school's actions presciently avoided an altercation."

School officials were worried about violence and disruption of school activities "and their response was tailored to the circumstance," the opinion said.

The case dates back to May 5, 2010, when the principal of Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, California, asked a group of students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn their shirts inside out or take them off.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
User Details are only visible to members.
For those [one of you] who don't understand the difference- principal means "primary" or "chief" - like the principal of a school, while Principle generally refers to a rule, law or general truth. Principle is always used as a noun; principal is usually used as an adjective but can also be a noun. A memory aid for those [one] of you who just don't get English...

The princiPAL is your PAL.

"(principles are not union, there for they serve at the pleasure of the school district and thus the people)"

Dammit, *someone* is baiting me. You all see that don't you? I'm going to exercise self control and just walk away... slowly... and peruse another topic...

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3975 posts)
Personally speaking, I do feel that the students, freedom of expression and speech was violated. I blame everyone from the court system, to the parents of these children.

Upon this principle's choice in how to deal with this, the parents should have demanded he be fired. (principles are not union, there for they serve at the pleasure of the school district and thus the people)

Then those who brought this suit should have sued. After which point in time, once losing, they should now be taking it to their elected officials at the state level, demanding laws enacted to protect their children's right to free speech.

The best solution is the most simple solution. If violence erupts, expel the person who threw the first fist... By way of the police arresting them and their time spent in Juvenal detention.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7779 posts)
"This is why we homeschool"

I hope the kids didn't miss the lesson on proper use of apostrophes. It was on the same day as the lessons on skinning muskrats and profuse perspiration management.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20524 posts)
"It noted that the school had only one security officer and there were indications that violence was likely. "

Who was thought to be the cause of this violence?? Why weren't THEY dealt with?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17463 posts)
"the judge should have stated that it was the schools responsibility to ensure the safety of the students"

That's exactly what the court stated. It noted that the school had only one security officer and there were indications that violence was likely. 

It wasn't up to the court to second-guess the Principal about the best way to deal with a difficult situation; its only job was to rule whether or not the Principal violated the students' free-speech rights. 

I can criticize the Principal's handling of this, but can't really see where the Court was wrong in holding that there was no violation of constitutional rights. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Our son wore uniforms to school from Kinder garden to the 10th grade when we lived in Louisiana.

We thought he would like being able to wear different things but he's into into fashion in any way shape or form. After being here a few months I asked him how the kids were and if they were different then Louisiana. He said the kids here were boring. He said that because they all dress and their fore look different that in order to fit in they all act alike, no personalities. He added that in Louisiana everyone looked alike so the way they made themselves stand out was by actually being different and that made them more interesting.

The way he said was actually much better than the way I did but you get the idea. Our son also happens to be one of the smartest people I know. He would find little Bobby amusing.

Odessa TX
Username hidden
(451 posts)
I am against uniforms, mostly because it dulls the mind with uniformity.

Also as with my former school district, the deciders of the appropriate clothing (down to company you are allowed to buy from) will invest money into only specific companies and make personal wealth off of their own rules... As they did when they bought coal from the very people who sat on the school board.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7779 posts)
School uniforms are a logical choice......navy, khaki, black/white or whatever color scheme selections are chosen should be worn by all students, K-12.

In school the emphasis needs to be obtaining an education....not making fashion statements, political statements through wardrobe choices or worrying about the consequences of those wardrobe choices if they offend / inflame the wrong people.

Mrs. U

Memphis TN
Username hidden
(3778 posts)
You cannot talk about gays, because everything that comes out of your mouths are hate words and pro-discrimination.

As for gays doing no wrong? They do less wrong than you do.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7779 posts)
We must not even talk about gays, LOL well it is funny the gays cannot do no wrong, but I do so love Chick-fi-la. and their business is booming.

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(5131 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
TOPIC: fucked up