Zero tolerance is for those with no common sense : Swingers Discussion 221310
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsZero tolerance is for those with no common sense
TOPIC: Zero tolerance is for those with no common sense
Created by: perfectmatch69
Original Starting post for this thread:
Science experiments don't always go the way they are intended. This, a 16-year-old Florida teenager knows all too well.

This week, Kiera Wilmot went to school and mixed some household chemicals in a tiny 8-ounce water bottle. It looked like a simple chemistry project but then the top popped off when a small explosion occurred.

Wilmot, who is in good standing as a student, said it was an accident. The Bartow High School principal told a local television station that the teen made a “bad choice” and called her a a good kid who has never previously been in trouble.

“Honestly, I doIn another era, Wilmot may have gotten scolded and sent back to class. But in this age of zero-tolerance policies, Wilmot is in deep trouble. She was arrested on Monday morning after the incident and charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device.

In turn, she was expelled and will finish her high school years in an expulsion programn't think she meant to ever hurt anyone,” Principal Ron Pritchard told a Tampa Bay television station. “She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked too.”

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 28   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Science experiments don't always go the way they are intended. This, a 16-year-old Florida teenager knows all too well."

I guess this is an opinion of sorts. The OP doesn't say that it happened in chemistry class, or in what sense it was "science".

" Kiera Wilmot went to school and mixed some household chemicals in a tiny 8-ounce water bottle. It looked like a simple chemistry project but then the top popped off when a small explosion occurred."

What's a "tiny 8-oz water bottle"? Tinier than most 8-oz bottles? What "household chemicals"? Did she put some Drano in another kid's drinking water?

"Wilmot, who is in good standing as a student, said it was an accident. The Bartow High School principal told a local television station that the teen made a “bad choice” and called her a a good kid who has never previously been in trouble."

Still no clue as to the context. How can you accidentally add some chemicals to a bottle?

“Honestly, I doIn another era, Wilmot may have gotten scolded and sent back to class."

Garbled cut and paste, we presume?

" But in this age of zero-tolerance policies, Wilmot is in deep trouble. She was arrested on Monday morning after the incident and charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device. In turn, she was expelled and will finish her high school years in an expulsion program..."

(continuation of garble: ) "...n't think she meant to ever hurt anyone,” Principal Ron Pritchard told a Tampa Bay television station. “She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked too.”

She "wanted to see what would happen" is not the same as an experiment in science class. For all the quoted sentiments, there's an astonishing shortage of facts here. This wouldn't possibly be from a right wing nut blog, would it?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"The ways of tbr are mysterious at times..."

Or not.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
The ways of tbr are mysterious at times...

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18804 posts)
Well, there's no opinion in the opening post. What is it that you agree with?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"I agree with the original post. "

Which part?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16724 posts)
I agree with the original post.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17348 posts)
What many people do not understand, is that Zero Tolerance has less to do with political correctness (there is no such thing, but i'll use it for lack of a better term) and more to do with liability and risk management

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3840 posts)
Soph:

"Education strives to teach students to use logic and reason to solve problems, to investigate problems and relevant solutions. Yet, they apply the same punishment to all students even when the circumstances warrant a different solution. "

While yes the punishment is harsh... The fact remains that it was a bomb. Had the next student mixed the right chemicals and made a poisonous gas instead, what should be done?

This case is actually the perfect case about science and why math is a massive if not the bulk component of science. The child in question failed to do the research on the chemicals they were mixing, failed to do the math for what happens at what mixture of the chemicals and generally created a hazardous situation because of their failing.

Welcome to the future, science is dangerous and if you are going to be handed a dangerous weapon... You must wield that weapon with caution. This means 99% study and 1% hands on.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7253 posts)
When I read the post I understood the school's position. But I also wondered where the common sense was in the school system.

Education strives to teach students to use logic and reason to solve problems, to investigate problems and relevant solutions. Yet, they apply the same punishment to all students even when the circumstances warrant a different solution.

Sophia

Hendersonville NC
Username hidden
(1127 posts)
Unless the population starts waking up, there really is not a whole lot to discuss, other than home schooling. Public schools are a testing ground for mass subject control anymore.

I can remember our teacher demonstrating how a dust explosion happens, with a real small scale dust explosion. Nothing ever came of it, no parent protests, no suspended students, no teacher firing. But then almost every boy in school carried a pocket knife without the hysteria, or the drama we see in today's schools.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19237 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 28   End
TOPIC: Zero tolerance is for those with no common sense