Why everyone's talking about Marissa Alexander : Swingers Discussion 225047
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsWhy everyone's talking about Marissa Alexander
TOPIC: Why everyone's talking about Marissa Alexander
Created by: sa_interracialcpl
Original Starting post for this thread:
In the wake of George Zimmerman’s not guilty verdict in the death of Trayvon Martin, another name started to trend Monday on the Internet: Marissa Alexander.

The Jacksonville, Florida, woman tried to use a "Stand Your Ground" defense in 2012, but was later convicted of three counts of aggravated assault.

The biggest question people have as they continue to share Alexander’s story is: Why was this mother of three sentenced to 20 years in prison while Zimmerman walked free?

Alexander said her husband, Rico Gray, tried to strangle her on August 1, 2010, after reading text messages she had sent her ex-husband. She said she escaped his grip and, instead of leaving out the front door, went into the garage to get into her car. But in the confusion of the fight, Alexander said she forgot her keys.

"I could not fight him. He was 100 pounds more than me. I grabbed my weapon at that point."

Gray saw the weapon at his wife’s side when she returned, according to Alexander, and continued to threaten her life. That’s when she said she decided to fire a warning shot.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Your right fun Things may have turned out different, I do not know that particular law in any other way than self defense, Thats what it was and what happened..

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4997 posts)
Fundy, you clearly don't belong here. Way too much reasonableness.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Find:

I will not hide the fact I know far too little about the woma s case, but Zimmerman's was blantenly an abuse of the laws intent to enable self defense without the far left ideal of full retreat. Tha is why the left demand you to have taken a full retreat postor.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
GZ was already out of his SUV, and he was not told to stay in his SUV. He also did not know he was walking into a ambush. MA knew she was returning with a gun to a volatile situation.

One did not have the option to retreat, the other had retreated and decided to return with a gun. One was carrying as part of everyday normal practices, the other retrieved a gun to return to a dispute. One fired in self defense to defend his life, the other we do not know why she fired. But she endangered TWO of her three children when she did.

A person is either authorized to use deadly force or they are not. Warning shots are dangerous, reckless, and not a appropriate response to a deadly threat. 20 years is harsh, but it is the sentence for assault with a firearm. She is lucky the judge did not give 60 years which he could have.

I do believe Angela Corey overcharged in both cases, that is the similarity between the two cases.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19424 posts)
At risk of hijacking the thread, it's worth standing back and asking whether either case could have ended differently if the shooter had extricated him/herself from the situation and summoned/awaited the arrival of law enforcement.

In the TM/GZ case, it's fairly clear that the shooter did contact law enforcement and then chose to proceed against advice. He got out of the car. He confronted the victim. With a gun.

In this second case, the shooter either had a cell phone (there were texts with her ex, right?) or could have kept on walking out of the garage. There was already legal infrastructure against him (an injunction). But she walked back into the house. With a gun.

In both instances, confrontation with a deadly weapon was the consequence of decisions that could have been made differently, and none of us would know about either case.

Does anyone really think that "stand your ground" is intended to justify decisions that precipitate or escalate confrontations? We are not talking about 8 year olds having a spontaneous fistfight during recess where the worst possible outcome is a bloody nose. We are talking about adults who have purchased, possess and carry firearms.

Call 911. Extricate from the situation. Let law enforcement do their job.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(437 posts)
Keep in mind that the same prosecutor that brought charges on GZ also handled this case.

The woman should have been charged with reckless endangerment. It was not stand your ground because she returned with the firearm. And she was in no danger from her children who were on the other side of the wall she fired into.

She was charged with three counts because of shooting in the direction of her children.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19424 posts)
swgold:

Some laws that we ought change to enable what you have said to occur.

1) In a trial, ones history is brought to light. No questions about it. 2) The intent of the person using the weapon and if anyone who wasn't the intended target were hurt. 3) Has the shooter (user of any weapon) tried to escape their situation in the past and if so, why did they return?

No amount of law can help a woman if she returns to her abuser, we could believe their story every time they tell it, but if they keep returning to the wife beater, then the government can do little else but to detain her for mental evaluation for a length of time to be determined.

Why? Because the wife beater may not get a speedy trial.

As for the warning shot? She used a deadly weapon, there should never be a warning shot and if you give one... Say you missed. The law CANNOT arrest you for being a bad shot, only choosing to use a deadly weapon within the city limits and that is excused under a self defense claim.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7586 posts)
There are people who depend on such things to advance their agendas. Some for what they consider their "greater purpose", and some for their personal gain.

The personal gain people are easier to pinpoint. People like Al Sharpton and his 100-city protest coming soon to a town near you. Sharpton wouldn't have 2 cents to rub together if he didn't have Race Pimping as his career. He sees this and he sees $$$$$.

Advocates for almost ALL social causes constantly drive such things up as much as they can. Advocates for homeless people NEED the numbers to keep getting worse, because the problem being solved puts them out of a job. I'm not saying some of them aren't genuinely concerned for their cause, but the problem getting better is NOT in their interests.

And yes, I think people are that scummy. EVERY Christmas I hear about how demand at the food bank is up 10-20%. This has been going on forever. This is a mathematical impossibility for the decades on end it's been going on.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19840 posts)
Thank you for saying that, VA.

Several people on SLS too. Some, I was surprised, and quite disappointed with.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16810 posts)
I think there are others besides the media that have an interest in fanning these flames.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19840 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
TOPIC: Why everyone's talking about Marissa Alexander