What common Democrats are saying about the party today : Swingers Discussion 969051041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsWhat common Democrats are saying about the party today
TOPIC: What common Democrats are saying about the party today
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 90   End
User Details are only visible to members.
That is a discussion that I am willing to have.

It may be the case that it is most appropriate that that should be taken care of at the state or local level. I'm good with that. However that is not the reality of the situation.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17347 posts)
Government programs need to be balanced against outcomes.

It is stupid, IMHO, to proclaim that we will "defeat poverty." That is just as unrealistic as saying, "We will defeat international terrorism."

Poverty is a relative standard. There are plenty of people in the world that live on a buck or two a day. That is not feasible in this country. We need to support those who are less fortunate to help them achieve what they can.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17347 posts)
TheCare I am going to use those comments "The nine most terrifying..." I like that!

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
Thank you tbr; I wasn't aware of that (Head Start Program).

It's funny, but many of the governmental programs started with the intent to help in the development of those less fortunate. Now it's become a demand or a right of those who are exploiting its intent. And little is said about responsibility of parents or self.

There needs to be strict oversight - or dismantle the program. Abuse benefits the few at the risk of those who should have received the benefit.

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
I have to weigh in on the Head Start program.

For six years, I was a special assistant to the Director of the largest grantee operated Head Start program in the nation.

My training is as a social worker. I have a BA in social work and an MSW, and a year of study as a Ph.D. in social work. I am committed to any Great Society program.

IMHO, Head Start is one of the worst run programs in the entire federal government. There is virtually no oversight, the income guidelines are a joke, attendance requirements are routinely ignored, teachers are undertrained, the social service component is a total joke.

Again, IMHO, the program is valuable, but any program needs to maintain standards.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17347 posts)
Sapp You mentioned two programs: Head Start and Affirmative Action. My children benefited from the Head Start Program so I will agree with you that it has created a benefit (disagree on social but will agree on academics).

Affirmative Action has seen its days. In the beginning, Hispanics and the black community had initial benefits from it. (Now this may surprise you.) I am a Hispanic who totally opposes Affirmative Action. My reason is simple: discrimination is discrimination - no color barrier. Affirmative Action has discriminated poor whites. Affirmative Action has benefited wealthy Hispanics and blacks.

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
Lucky2:

Please do not put words in my mouth...especially with boring, flaccid prose.

No one has ever been perfectly self-reliant. Whoever has succeeded in America has had help along the way in some form, even though some have been more self-reliant than ever. Just being born in a country that has a faith in social mobility rather than a caste system is an encouragement.

Some people can use some help at times from government, and I see no reason to be stingy and cheap: The government can create programs to give people a Head Start (Head Start has been an effective social program). Affirmative Action has been crucial for creating more opportunity for minorities and women. It helped Colin Powell and Clarence Thomas get where they are today.

The government can help people help themselves in a variety of ways. The government gives all types of help--including subsidies-to business, and Romney is calling for a bail-out by government for the auto industry, and our agricultural industry depends on forms of support and subsidy.

The Homestead Act gave people land if they were willing to work on out. The richest and most powerful country in the world should not give up and say the government do anything to lift more people up from the bottom.

For me, it's not American to cut and run from a problem such as poverty and hunger in America.

A key reason for increasing poverty in urban cities was the movement of manufacturing jobs out of our urban areas...and to the Sunbelt.... and now these manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. The government could do more to try to keep more jobs inside the cities and inside the country.

FDR faced with a country 1/3 ill-housed, ill-fed, and ill-clothed did not give up and say there's nothing government could do. He came up with the Works Progress Administration and other ways of subsidizing jobs with federal money. It helped lift us out of the Depression.

It's fascinating: Studies show that the more diverse a population is, the less likely people are to support government support for the poor. The more homogeneous a country is, the more they are willing to use tax money to help the poor and provide health care.

But we are all brothers. The USA should not be looked upon as a group of separate, different tribes and we only take care of people of our own tribe.

Reagan tried to give a blackface to welfare, but so many whites also are poor and received food stamps and medicare and government support.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
DestinFla:

You are a nasty fear-mongerer. You make it ugly to exchange messages and thoughts. I'm embarrassed and sickened reading your stuff on Obama. Join the 21st century, rather than trying to take us back to the mid-19th century.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Obama Nation:

What Would an Obama Presidency Mean?

The Democrat Party has for years given lip service to the African-American community. They have talked about prominence without fulfilling the promise. They patronize without empowering. Worst of all, this unholy bond has done more to decimate and deplete our community than slavery and Jim Crow laws ever could have accomplished. This allegiance has destroyed millions of our children; children created but denied access to the American dream, children aborted.

The Democrat Party has been a major contributor to the African American slippery slide down the slope of depravity. It has caused our community to deny the God of our Fathers and ignore the counsel of His Word. This Word brought us up and out of Egypt. This Word broke the chains of a terrible bondage and established us in the path of upward mobility and prosperity.

Our loyalty to this political regime has vexed our leaders and organizations. Institutions that were birthed to advance the causes of Afro-Americans, now in their ignorance, lobby for our decline. NAACP, Congressional Black Caucus, Rainbow Coalition, Urban League, the list goes on and on. All of these were once heralded groups with anoble past and great historic accomplishment. Today, they are stymied by this ungodly tie. Rev. Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Joseph Lowery are all allied in party and, in the process, have lost their souls. What happened to the God of Dr. Martin Luther King? obamanation*com

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
An ex-president, a mining deal and a big donor Huge Kazakh deal follows financier’s trip with Clinton, precedes donation Interactive

updated 1:11 a.m. CT, Thurs., Jan. 31, 2008 Late on Sept. 6, 2005, a private plane carrying the Canadian mining financier Frank Giustra touched down in Almaty, a ruggedly picturesque city in southeast Kazakhstan. Several hundred miles to the west a fortune awaited: highly coveted deposits of uranium that could fuel nuclear reactors around the world. And Mr. Giustra was in hot pursuit of an exclusive deal to tap them.

Unlike more established competitors, Mr. Giustra was a newcomer to uranium mining in Kazakhstan, a former Soviet republic. But what his fledgling company lacked in experience, it made up for in connections. Accompanying Mr. Giustra on his luxuriously appointed MD-87 jet that day was a former president of the United States, Bill Clinton.

Upon landing on the first stop of a three-country philanthropic tour, the two men were whisked off to share a sumptuous midnight banquet with Kazakhstan’s president, Nursultan A. Nazarbayev, whose 19-year stranglehold on the country has all but quashed political dissent.

Mr. Nazarbayev walked away from the table with a propaganda coup, after Mr. Clinton expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader’s bid to head an international organization that monitors elections and supports democracy. Mr. Clinton’s public declaration undercut both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan’s poor human rights record by, among others, Mr. Clinton’s wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

Within two days, corporate records show that Mr. Giustra also came up a winner when his company signed preliminary agreements giving it the right to buy into three uranium projects controlled by Kazakhstan’s state-owned uranium agency, Kazatomprom.

Deal stunned the mining industry The monster deal stunned the mining industry, turning an unknown shell company into one of the world’s largest uranium producers in a transaction ultimately worth tens of millions of dollars to Mr. Giustra, analysts said.

Just months after the Kazakh pact was finalized, Mr. Clinton’s charitable foundation received its own windfall: a $31.3 million donation from Mr. Giustra that had remained a secret until he acknowledged it last month. The gift, combined with Mr. Giustra’s more recent and public pledge to give the William J. Clinton Foundation an additional $100 million, secured Mr. Giustra a place in Mr. Clinton’s inner circle, an exclusive club of wealthy entrepreneurs in which friendship with the former president has its privileges.

Mr. Giustra was invited to accompany the former president to Almaty just as the financier was trying to seal a deal he had been negotiating for months.

In separate written responses, both men said Mr. Giustra traveled with Mr. Clinton to Kazakhstan, India and China to see first-hand the philanthropic work done by his foundation.

A spokesman for Mr. Clinton said the former president knew that Mr. Giustra had mining interests in Kazakhstan but was unaware of “any particular efforts” and did nothing to help. Mr. Giustra said he was there as an “observer only” and there was “no discussion” of the deal with Mr. Nazarbayev or Mr. Clinton.

But Moukhtar Dzhakishev, president of Kazatomprom, said in an interview that Mr. Giustra did discuss it, directly with the Kazakh president, and that his friendship with Mr. Clinton “of course made an impression.” Mr. Dzhakishev added that Kazatomprom chose to form a partnership with Mr. Giustra’s company based solely on the merits of its offer.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 90   End
TOPIC: What common Democrats are saying about the party today