What common Democrats are saying about the party today : Swingers Discussion 969051031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsWhat common Democrats are saying about the party today
TOPIC: What common Democrats are saying about the party today
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 90   End
User Details are only visible to members.
It was an effort to create a more just and more equal society by compensating for past injustices. Affirmative Action is Racism...Without a doubt.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Excellant work Caretaker, Wish I had caught it sooner.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Republicans seem to have had a lot of trust in a federal government to win a war against Iraq, but they want to cut and run against a war on poverty....claiming that federal can't help and it is up to someone else--charity or state government--to do the helping. We are not at war with Iraq, Last I checked we are help them and moving them in a positive direction, We are Liberators and have as to our creed in the letters of confederation to fight tyranny. And on social programs Bush has been accused of spending to much. 163B spent on Katrina relief in NO all by its self. Sorry no sympathy here. If local and State government would do the responsible thing NO would be rebuilt by now. Their Governor was ousted and a new Governor was elected, The youngest in American History. Good for them, the same fate should have been bestowed on Nagan.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Sappho you need to be careful about things in here. People do research some times. And you have been exposed and no longer have validity in this forum. Reagan Like myself was against a legislation that was racism at it's finest and did nothing more than appease those who felt slighted by the fed. Like me Reagan wanted a FAIR society where a Human Being no matter his race, Sexual orientation, or religion is judged by his charicter and his ethics not on the fact that they are black brown or red. Civil Rights focused on the black community and left out three minority's (Red, brown, and Asians).He wanted a level playing field for all Americans. As I do.Now call me a racist but again you have no validity so it wont matter.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
jesus, i saw that the in the last republican debate ronald reagan's name was mentioned 42 times or an average of once every 2 friggin minutes. how about some NEW ideas..

also, what is a common democrat...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Caretaker:

Yes I should have been more careful in my use of language and written that Reagan and GHW Bush opposed the Civil Rights legislation of 1964 rather than saying they voted against it.

But still they are on record of having significant public opposition to Civil Rights legislation in 1964, and that is telling in my book.

Affirmative Action was necessary when it was proposed to overcome the inequal effects of 170 years of Affirmative Action for white males or the long legacy of discrimination against minorities.

It was an effort to create a more just and more equal society by compensating for past injustices.

Martin Luther King Jr. gives one of the most eloquent statements for Affirmative Action programs in his book, Why We Can't Wait:

“......no amount of gold could provide an adequate compensation for the exploitation and humiliation of the Negro in America down through the centuries. Not all the wealth of this affluent society could meet the bill. Yet a price can be placed on unpaid wages. The ancient common law has always provided a remedy for the appropriation of the labor of one human being by another. . . . The payment should be in the form of a massive program by the government of special, compensatory measures which could be regarded as a settlement in accordance with the accepted practice of common law. . . . I am proposing, therefore, that, just as we granted a GI Bill of Rights to war veterans, America launch a broad-based and gigantic Bill of Rights for the Disadvantaged, our veterans of the long siege of denial.”

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Why do you think Nixon favored and pushed for Affirmative Action legislation and the Supreme Court sanctioned such legislation?

After 170 years of discrimination, it was justice to try to overcome the legacy of racism by sponsoring programs of Affirmative Action.

After 170 years of affirmative action for white people, don't you think it was justice to to be cognizant of race and gender as a way to help overcome the legacy of racism.

Do you think it was wrong for Colin Powell to be in favor of Affirmative Action?

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Reagan and George H. W. Bush are on record for having opposed the Civil Rights legislation of 1964.

That's undisputable.

Dick Cheney voted against a holiday for Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shame on them.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
From an essay in the American Historical Review:

"As a Hollywood actor, Reagan had supported civil rights causes in the 1940s and 1950s, but by the time he entered politics in the mid-1960s, he had abandoned both his New Deal Democratic loyalties and his enthusiasm for the civil rights legislative agenda. A conservative Republican, he questioned the constitutional validity of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968, all of which had passed with bipartisan backing and reshaped the political and racial landscapes of the nation. The enforcement of these monumental pieces of legislation only buttressed Reagan's opposition. He deplored the construction of race-conscious remedies that allegedly ended one form of discrimination against blacks by imposing another against white males. When Reagan became president in 1980, he had the opportunity to reverse the direction of two decades of civil rights implementation."

From Washington Monthly: "During Reagan's entire career, from his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act to his risible suggestion during his presidency that South Africa had eliminated segregation, his civil rights record was pretty abominable."

By Lou Cannon, a Reagan biographer, writing in the New York Times:

"Mr. Reagan was understandably anathema in the black community not because of his personal views but because of his consistent opposition to federal civil rights legislation, most notably the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965."

By Michael Barone on a website called Discriminations:

"Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Chief Justice William Rhenquist all opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964."

George H.W. Bush opposed the 1964 Civil Rights legislation in his first run for political office--his campaign to be a senator from Texas, which he lost.

From Washington Post: "George Herbert Walker Bush's maiden entry into politics was as a Texas Senate candidate in 1964, running as a strong supporter of Barry Goldwater and a vocal opponent of the 1964 Civil Rights Act (a viewpoint he later came to regret)."

Al Gore Sr. did vote for the Civil Rights Voting Act of 1965. I was wrong about Dick Cheney on 1964. He voted against a national holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. a national holiday. I had that confused with opposition to 1964 Civil Rights legislation.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Contra Reagan:

The 1/3 of the people who were ill-housed, ill-fed, and ill-clothed during the Depression certainly were not afraid when the FDR came up with legislation and government programs to help improve their lives and begin moving the country out of the Depression.

Contra Reagan, Dick Cheney and GHW Bush (who all voted against Civil Rights legislation of 1964):

Minorities in this country have no need to look with fear upon a government that came to their aid to bring about more justice and liberty and equality for all.

Republicans seem to have had a lot of trust in a federal government to win a war against Iraq, but they want to cut and run against a war on poverty....claiming that federal can't help and it is up to someone else--charity or state government--to do the helping.

The federal government can do stuff to improve education in a better way the No Child Left Behind.

It would be a tremendous lift for people in the lower classes to have health insurance....

Head Start is a prime example of a governmetn program with proven effectiveness for helping out children.

The amusing thing is that Republicans--especially the Cons--never cry out too hard when government comes to the help of business or the rich (with plans to cut estate taxes etc.).

Romney is all for a bail-out or corporate welfare to the automobile industry. The government bailed out the Savings and Loan industry. FDR helped save banking with federal government sponsored FDIC.

The federal government is not the answer for every problem, but neither is it always the problem.

It's so simplistic just to say federal government bad, Washington is a broken mess, let's get government off the back of the American people.

Thanks to the federal government, we had the most significant advance in liberty and justice in the past 60 years with the passage of the Civil Rights legislation of 1964--and dumbass Reagan, Bush and Cheney all voted against it.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 90   End
TOPIC: What common Democrats are saying about the party today