What's your delusion : Swingers Discussion 2203221031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsWhat's your delusion
TOPIC: What's your delusion
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   31 to 40 of 76   End
User Details are only visible to members.
OK... if I understand it correctly (and I definitely need to read more), then it's that you deduct the interest from your personal income tax and the capital gains is taxed at the capital gains rate (provided it's a long-term capital gain).

If that's true, I agree that is crap - and the interest should simply offset the investment income. In the scenario you described, the investment/interest/capital gain should result in neither tax nor tax benefit.

Dallas TX
Username hidden
(20201 posts)
The government will take care of us and keep us safe always :-D

Westerly RI
Username hidden
(83 posts)
btw all of these complications and sneakydoodles are completely moot with FairStress.... just throwing that out there....

Dallas TX
Username hidden
(20201 posts)
"Borrow a million bucks to make an investment. Fully deduct $50k/year interest paid. Make capital gains from investment of $50k. In cash terms you're even; a wash. But you only get taxed on cap gains at a fraction of earned income rates, so you're ahead on taxes; a net savings."

Are you saying the $50k is not added to the basis cost of the $1 million investment? i.e. it cost you $1,050,000 to make an investment that you sold for $1,050,000?

Imma gonna hafta look more closely at Pub 550....

Dallas TX
Username hidden
(20201 posts)
I guess one could be deluded that you shouldn't have to pay for a house to live in, or it shouldn't cost anything to rear children. But if you want a home and a family, that's what you have to do.

Thinking you can live in a great country and an advancing civilization, and that your wealth is entirely of your own making, rather than enabled by your society -- well, that's not realistic at all.

Hobnobbing with others who think the same stoopid shit -- anti-gravity, time travel, tax-free opulence -- doesn't make it a bit more plausible. I guess it makes it more likely a society will attempt such an experiment, if enough people buy into it. But that's hopefully not gonna happen.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"deduction for investment interest paid"

Borrow a million bucks to make an investment. Fully deduct $50k/year interest paid. Make capital gains from investment of $50k. In cash terms you're even; a wash. But you only get taxed on cap gains at a fraction of earned income rates, so you're ahead on taxes; a net savings.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
""Fortune" i.e. luck has nothing to do with it."

Sometimes it does. A friend of mine won the birth lottery and took over the family business. He's brighter than average but not exactly brilliant. He takes off 2-3 afternoons per week to golf. He pays a manager (probably middle five-figure money), and my friend lives pretty damn well off the good fortune of having a wealthy daddy who handed him stuff on a platter. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge him anything. But he definitely lives off his good fortune.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
"The ability to take a 100% dollar-for-dollar deduction for investment interest paid, while paying tax on only a fraction of investment capital gains, is another thing. "

What?

Dallas TX
Username hidden
(20201 posts)
" have difficulty working up a lot of tears for anyone unfortunate enough to make $450,000 AGI per year"

"Fortune" i.e. luck has nothing to do with it.

Who asked you to?

Dallas TX
Username hidden
(20201 posts)
Oh, a couple of other things, that I've mentioned before: all of these IRS statistics are based on AGI, which can be a bit misleading. Paper losses and things like depreciation can (and usually do) make the AGI figure on a return lower (sometimes MUCH lower) than actual cash income. 

Other things like interest on tax-free GO bonds also don't get included in AGI, although it's very real income. The ability to take a 100% dollar-for-dollar deduction for investment interest paid, while paying tax on only a fraction of investment capital gains, is another thing. 

So for purposes of IRS statistics, it's entirely possible for someone to show only a little bit of AGI, while in fact that person could have received literally millions in actual income. That kind of thing skews the statistics. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   31 to 40 of 76   End
TOPIC: What's your delusion