Walter Reed facility is rodent infested!! WTF : Swingers Discussion 740091011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsWalter Reed facility is rodent infested!! WTF
TOPIC: Walter Reed facility is rodent infested!! WTF
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   11 to 20 of 82   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Stated so wel it bears repeating.. chuck

sensuousand nasty-All the questions to both sides of the aisle are legit. The questions to why a republican congress did little to correct lost benefits to ALL military veterans, those who are disabled and those lucky enough not to have been wounded in combat, is legit.

The questions concerning why a Democratic congress starting around 1964 through 1994, was so hostile and anti-military with their removal of EARNED benefits are legitimate questions.

The questions concerning Presidents past and present to what they did and what President Bush has done and is doing now are legitimate questions.

The questions concerning what this new congress is or is not doing is a legitimate question. On most military post the Installation Commander has oversight of their fiscal year funds approved every year by congress. The base/post Comptroller controls those funds and ensures they are properly spent. Those bases/facilities that are on the closure list the BRAC committee, controlled by CONGRESS, and NOT by DOD provides daily operation funds on a QUARTERLY basis to the places scheduled to close. Therefore, the CURRENT Congress which controls the money for Walter Reed, NOT DOD, does need to be questioned.

As not only a veteran, but as a career retiree, please stop pointing fingers and write your representatives in congress and let them know that the news reports on Walter Reed, have enlightened the public (you) as to what a disgrace our follow-up and long term care is, not only towards our men and women currently serving, but to both veterans who served one or two enlistments and those who made it a career.

The best care currently given is for those with service related disabilities. They deserve the care the get AND MORE. However, so do Veterans who were not injured on the battle field or while on active duty. Congress has a 100 percent medical and dental plan after only serving 6 years to include their spouse and children under 25 years of age. I served 21 years and in my 11 years of retirement I have NO dental and the most paid out by my military health care was 14 percent of my annual medical costs in 2002. The average is 9 percent over that 11 years. That is ridicules.

Ridiculous indeed! my heartfelt gratitude to you...brother, and all the other vets here and everywhere. chuck

Cumberland MD
Username hidden
(1592 posts)
Good morning all. I usually avoid this area like the plague because I dislike playing politics but I feel compelled to stick my neck on the block here. First; Thank you senuous for visiting my fellow vets and trying to help them make the best of a terrible situation. Second; Aside from the partisan name calling and anti-progress attacks, thank you all for showing interest in what is happening to our brothers and sisters. Third; As someone touched ( lightly ) earlier ,this is not something that happened since last week,month, year. I can't and won't speak for the Honored Vets of Korea,WWII, Granada, The storms in the desert or any other 'police action' but the one I saw first hand. This is NOT a political problem. It was NOT caused by either of the Bush"s,Clinton,Ford, or even that venerable hack Agnew. This is the result of DECADES of slight. DECADES of tossing the vet aside when we are finished using them. When our rights(?),priviledges (?), safety(?) is threatened the military man and woman is among the most honored and revered and SUPPORTED of any human on earth...until. Until they are wounded,injured in mind and body so they can no longer serve to protect our rights(?). Then what? Then they (we) become a liability. A negative number on the budget. After dust-off, after the hospital ship after Germany (or Japan) they are shipped home...to what? To a SYSTEM that is controlled by a budget that places them last. We can sit and point fingers at this one and that one. Call this one a nasty liberal,that one an idiot conservative and solve what?Who's fault is this lastest porkchop? This latest boondoggle? This latest snafu? IT IS OURS! That's right my friends. OURS. MINE! and YOURS! and every other American that lost sight of the veteran, lost thought of the veteran, lost concern for the veteran after the guns fell silent. WE ARE PART OF THE SYSTEM! Does anyone REALLY believe that the decay rotting our military recovery system is the result of one or two administrations? Lord you folks give me flashbacks! I have all of MY parts ( The body is whole, the mind often wanders places I'd rather it not),but many...many of my friends do not. Arms,legs, steel plates,colostomy bags for the rest of their life, they don't miraculously heal when the guns fall silent.Some of my friends are STILL fighting the SYSTEMIC porkchop after 30+ years for proper treatment of their physical and mental wounds.No my friends, this did not happen over night and it did not happen because of Bush (I or II) or Clinton, or even Nixon...this happened because of US. May GOD bless and keep our veteran...because our country sure as hell doesn't give a rats ass about them....(US). Sorry to invade your space, you can go back to the vitriol,hyperbole,pointing fingers at pols and calling each other names (I find it amazing that fellow vets would do that to each other) I will not bother you with my antiquated ideals of personal responsibilites and thoughts of what SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS means to me. jmo chuck

Cumberland MD
Username hidden
(1592 posts)
And I have to say that the reason I quoted SandN was that, most of the time in these forums, I've discovered that it is far easier for the "insulters" to NOT write or call. I always make my comments directly to my Congressmen and Senators, both state and federal, but have found that action is sadly lacking in the loudest of the complainers, in most cases.

My apologies if I, too, offended anyone by quoting SandN. Susan

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
Sorry debjack,

...but as a whole it seems people on this forum only wish to point fingers at one political party or person. Based on these forums, it just appeared to me bitching was the only thing anyone was doing. If you have written your representatives, and I understand most concerned VETS, like yourself do, I apologize if I offended you, or anyone else, it was not my intent. My comment about writing was not meant to offend but to stop this petty partisanship. The issue is and should be about caring for our VETS, all VETS.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
You guys can continue to fight about Republican vs Democrat, and make snide, biting comments at each other, but SandN made the most reasonable statement in the entire thread: "please stop pointing fingers and write your representatives in Congress and let them know that the news reports on Walter Reed, have enlightened the public (you) as to what a disgrace our follow-up and long term care is, not only towards our men and women currently serving, but to both veterans who served one or two enlistments and those who made it a career." S

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
(AP story continued....) As Army secretary, Harvey is the service’s top civilian official. He commands no troops. Along with the four-star general who is Army chief of staff, the secretary has statutory responsibility for training and equipping the Army. That includes responsibility for budgeting, recruiting and other personnel and resource policies.

Shoddy facilities, long waits

The Army announced Friday that Maj. Gen. Eric B. Schoomaker, 58, will be the new commander of Walter Reed, which is located in Washington. “From what I have learned, the problems at Walter Reed appear to be problems of leadership,” Gates said. “The Walter Reed doctors, nurses and other staff are among the best and most caring in the world. They deserve our continued deepest thanks and strongest support.”

The revelations about shoddy facilities and wounded soldiers enduring long waits for treatment have embarrassed the Army and the Bush administration at a time when the White House is scrambling to shore up eroding support for the Iraq war. It has prompted numerous calls in Congress for more information, and sullied the reputation of what is supposed to be one of the military’s foremost medical facilities.

Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, applauded Harvey’s departure.

“I commend him for taking responsibility for the problems at Walter Reed,” Skelton said. The defense secretary indicated he was unhappy with the way Army leaders had responded to the Walter Reed disclosures.

“Some have shown too much defensiveness and have not shown enough focus on digging into and addressing the problems,” Gates said. “Also I am concerned that some do not properly understand the need to communicate to the wounded and their families that we have no higher priority than their care and that addressing their concerns about the quality of their outpatient experience is critically important. Our wounded soldiers and their families have sacrificed much and they deserve the best we can offer.”

The White House said the president would name a bipartisan commission to assess whether the problems at Walter Reed exist at other facilities. Last week, Gates created an outside panel to review the situation at Walter Reed and the other major military hospital in the Washington area, the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Md.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Walter Reed fallout: Army secretary resigns Surprise move follows disclosures of poor conditions at Army hospital

From the AP Updated: 8:36 p.m. PT March 2, 2007

WASHINGTON - Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey abruptly stepped down Friday as the Bush administration struggled to cope with the fallout from a scandal over substandard conditions for war-wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Harvey’s departure, announced on short notice by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, was the most dramatic move in an escalating removal of officials with responsibilities over one of the military’s highest-profile and busiest medical facilities. Hours earlier, President Bush ordered a comprehensive review of conditions at the nation’s network of military and veteran hospitals, which has been overwhelmed by injured troops from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gates said Harvey had resigned, but senior defense officials speaking on condition of anonymity said Gates had asked Harvey to leave. Gates was displeased that the officer Harvey had chosen as interim commander of Walter Reed — Lt. Gen. Kevin Kiley, the current Army surgeon general and a former commander of Walter Reed — has been accused by critics of long knowing about the problems there and not improving outpatient care.

“I am disappointed that some in the Army have not adequately appreciated the seriousness of the situation pertaining to outpatient care at Walter Reed,” Gates said in the Pentagon briefing room. He took no questions from reporters. Harvey was at Fort Benning, Ga., on Friday morning when he cut short his visit to return to Washington to meet with Gates.

On Thursday, Harvey fired the medical center’s previous commander, Maj. Gen. George Weightman, for failures linked to the outpatient treatment controversy. Many had speculated that Weightman would be relieved of command, but Harvey’s departure was a surprise. His last day in the job will be March 9. Peter Geren, the undersecretary of the Army, will serve as Harvey’s temporary replacement until Bush nominates a new secretary. (CONTINUED......)

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
"What extactly has the new congress done for vets? Did I miss the passage of a resolution condemning the conditions at Walter Reed? Is there some kind of proposed legislation to improve the VA? "

No apparently I ASSumed the meaning of these words. My bad.....I lost my conservative republican to liberal democrat translation booklet as well as my secret decoder ring. LOL

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Perfect

I'm not spinning anything at all. This was only reported last week and you expect this fledgling congress to have already solved the problems along with every other woe you perceive. It's "unreasonable" not to allow them time to determine the extent of damage and formulate what needs to be done to correct said situation. I am however disappointed in ALL the congress in the last 3-4 years who have gotten status reports (assuming administrating personel passed the word up the chain of command) concerning capabilities to have "already" done something.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
All the questions to both sides of the aisle are legit. The questions to why a republican congress did little to correct lost benefits to ALL military veterans, those who are disabled and those lucky enough not to have been wounded in combat, is legit.

The questions concerning why a Democratic congress starting around 1964 through 1994, was so hostile and anti-military with their removal of EARNED benefits are legitimate questions.

The questions concerning Presidents past and present to what they did and what President Bush has done and is doing now are legitimate questions.

The questions concerning what this new congress is or is not doing is a legitimate question. On most military post the Installation Commander has oversight of their fiscal year funds approved every year by congress. The base/post Comptroller controls those funds and ensures they are properly spent. Those bases/facilities that are on the closure list the BRAC committee, controlled by CONGRESS, and NOT by DOD provides daily operation funds on a QUARTERLY basis to the places scheduled to close. Therefore, the CURRENT Congress which controls the money for Walter Reed, NOT DOD, does need to be questioned.

As not only a veteran, but as a career retiree, please stop pointing fingers and write your representatives in congress and let them know that the news reports on Walter Reed, have enlightened the public (you) as to what a disgrace our follow-up and long term care is, not only towards our men and women currently serving, but to both veterans who served one or two enlistments and those who made it a career.

The best care currently given is for those with service related disabilities. They deserve the care the get AND MORE. However, so do Veterans who were not injured on the battle field or while on active duty. Congress has a 100 percent medical and dental plan after only serving 6 years to include their spouse and children under 25 years of age. I served 21 years and in my 11 years of retirement I have NO dental and the most paid out by my military health care was 14 percent of my annual medical costs in 2002. The average is 9 percent over that 11 years. That is ridicules.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Start   11 to 20 of 82   End
TOPIC: Walter Reed facility is rodent infested!! WTF