W T F : Swingers Discussion 20834710941
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsW T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1600   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I called my Mom, who was a waitress when she was young, to ask how tips were handled "back in the day." She said that the waitresses kept all tips but some would give the bus boys a bit. She explained that how much they gave the bus boys was completely up to the waitresses and that they never shared with any of the other staff (such as kitchen).

I know that this has changed but I see it as a way for restaurants to shift employee compensation directly to their customers. Restaurants don't want to raise their prices so that they can adequately pay their employees so they've shifted the concept of earning a good tip for excellent service to expecting patrons to tip and then forcing their servers to share with the other staff.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(4449 posts)
Sorry to be joining this conversation late, but I've had a busy day.

We usually tip 20% at restaurants where the service is decent, and as low as 10% if the service stank. I don't think we have ever stiffed a waiter or waitress and do not usually tip at a take-out counter. There are exceptions, though, such as the locally owned and staffed pizza place.

VA, you wrote earlier "Why is a Starbucks barista any more appropriate to tip than the cashier at the grocery store?" That begs an entirely different question in my book. Starbucks has switched from training their employees in the skill of making real espresso, replacing it with pushing a button and letting the shot come from the machine with no variability for humidity, temperature, or other factors. The Milwaukee area coffee roasters, Alterra, make their espresso and capuccino drinks with great skill, and their baristas receive appropriate tips from us. Starbucks employees don't get the same treatment because the work they do is equivalent to that of McDonald's employees, IMO.

Sheboygan Falls WI
Username hidden
(8902 posts)
I've never tipped a chef or a cook in my life, never heard of it either. I can not even fathom tipping a chef.

I could just picture us asking to see Alexandra Guarnaschelli, so that I can hand her $30!!! LOL!

Now, we've certainly complimented chefs previously, but tipping them? that's just down right insulting in my book!

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16444 posts)
Va, you're right. I guess I don't consider Starbucks to be a restaurant chain, or consider their baristas to be wait staff. They're probably making minimum or better, based on market conditions and aren't really relying on tips to feed their kids, pay for school, or buy hooch on a Friday night.

So, I normally tip whatever the change is that I have in hand, or a buck if its my regular java joint.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(8351 posts)
I seriously doubt a chef makes minimum wage Carrie. I am not talking about a burger joint or diner where some kid is reheating pre-packaged food, I am refering to a restaurant where there is a trained chef.

The point is, I DO tip at all restaurants and bars but not for carry out. And I am an easy mark for waitresses because all they have to do is smile and act like they enjoy their job and they get well above my usual 20%.

Youngstown OH
Username hidden
(11885 posts)
"I know waitresses sometimes share tips with busboys but I have never heard that they have to give part of their tips to the chef."

Wait staff has to share their tips with the busboys, bartender (if there is one) and the cook/chef. That is how they do it here. All of which make minimum wage, while the wait staff makes less.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(17880 posts)
BT

Of course. But I know the staff at Starbucks are not paid this way.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19430 posts)
The man in my life is an excellent tipper and never complains when the food isn't correct. We had food delivered here last night and he tipped the driver $10 when I thought $5 was perfectly reasonable. We've been discussing this thread and I felt vindicated to learn he doesn't tip on "take out" either. Of course now that I've told him that the lively Pandora has to give up 3% on all her food orders, I bet he starts tipping for take out.

I just don't think employers should get by with paying lowing wages due to the potential of tips and I don't think tipping should be required (as it essentially has become). Essentially the business isn't paying their employees to provide excellent service but expecting the consumer to tip for it.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(4449 posts)
Va, that's because you weren't working a job that legally pays below minimum wage due to the potential of being tipped.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(8351 posts)
I dunno. I've pumped gas and served burgers at Wendy's. Worked cigarette counters and was a floor guy at a Home Depot-type place once. I never, in any of those jobs, ever, received 1 thin cent of a tip.

A girl I tutored in chemistry, however, pretty much bought Christmas for our family for 3 years.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19430 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1600   End
TOPIC: W T F