W T F : Swingers Discussion 20834710941
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsW T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1659   End
User Details are only visible to members.
A person can buy Obama books for cheap online. Nice scam B&N has~take a donation for full price on a book they probably bought for a buck each.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19437 posts)
How about they give away The Book: The Pursuit of Happyness instead?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
I don't especially disagree with you, YLM.

Those who like Obama shouldn't like this sort of thing either. If it becomes the norm, it'll be Presidents you don't like on t-shirts, school wall murals, painted with a crown of thorns in front of the Presidential seal, or other crap like that. It is not good for this country.

As for the more practical side of things - do we not have ANYTHING better to give homeless kids than biographies of Obama?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19878 posts)
"..celebrity status and hero worship a lot of people, including some in the media, and even some here, afford this particular President to be very distasteful..."

And, as you know, VA, taste has very little correlation to profit margin. As tbr alluded to, its just a business decision. I'm sure if they could promote an ant, and receive the same results, they'd do that to.

Emeryville CA
Username hidden
(12208 posts)
A cult of personality does not need to originate from the person at the center of it, and I'm not accusing Obama himself of having anything to do with it, supporting it, or approving it.

I disagree with Wikipedia's definition which suggests that a cult of personality must originate from the person(s) at the center of it. Personality cults can be built surrounding people who aren't even alive, such as Che Guevara, or even around a fictional person (such as Big Brother).

And I fully appreciate that a true cult of personality is far and beyond what we're talking about here. But I find the celebrity status and hero worship a lot of people, including some in the media, and even some here, afford this particular President to be very distasteful. He's the President and is certainly worthy of the respect of his office. But holy crap...... schools and roads?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19878 posts)
But this is not Obama mandated. He has nothing to do with it.

So I suppose you have a right to be upset, but to call it a cult of personality is off base...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
Your question to me presumes that I wish to somehow dictate to them what book(s) Barnes and Noble may use for this purpose. I do not. They can give them Mein Kampf if they want to - and I'll be equally pissed off.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19878 posts)
If this were a government edict that this was the only book to be sold for children in homeless shelters, I might share your concern.

However, this seems to be a capitalist company making a capitalist decision.

What do you have against capitalism?

;-)

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
Coming out of my lull in politics posting to share this little story which happened to me this morning.

Today, I dropped the Mrs off at an appointment and stopped in at Barnes and Noble to buy a puzzle book, and went to the checkout.

After being asked the usual round of questions - do you have a book club membership, did you find everything, etc... I was asked a new question:

Do you want to buy a book to donate to children at the homeless shelter?

She puts her hand on the stack of books. One title to choose from. It was a biography of Barack Obama.

I couldn't believe it. Seriously? They are asking for book donations to children in homeless shelters and THIS is the book they offer - the only choice?

The personality cult I have been watching people work to build around Obama has been going on since before he became President. I know many of you will not believe me when I say that my dislike for it has nothing to do with Barack Obama himself - I have a great problem with personally promoting a sitting President through naming roads, schools, etc after him. Once he leaves office? Fine and normal. While he's IN office? This is something they do in "those" countries. It shouldn't be happening in this one.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19878 posts)
Former Senator Warren Rudman has died. He was a straight-talking, tough old bird. RIP.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... More 
Start   941 to 950 of 1659   End
TOPIC: W T F