Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics W T F
TOPIC: W T F
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 1880   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Bin laden knocks down some buildings, we go to war.

North Koreans hack a company, and we cower in fear.

North Korea wins.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7780 posts)
ht tps://autos.yahoo.c om/news/texas-plumber-ford-truck-ends-terrorists-133033518.html

WTF

Brick NJ
Username hidden
(1461 posts)
Part of the problem with production of German tanks, and a lot of their weapons was their use of slave labor. The laborers took every opportunity they could to sabotage parts.

The British had a better jet engine in their Gloster Meteor, but the 262 was considered a better aircraft. The British would not allow their jets over German occupied territory, they were afraid that the Germans would get their hands on the engines. The British jets were mainly used against the V-1's.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3978 posts)
The reallocation of resources and Hitler's changing of priorities changed a number of times during the war.

For example, the first jet fighter, the ME-262, was redesigned as a bomber on Hitler's orders. By the time they changed everything back and went into production, the war was lost.

The opposite happened with the Panther tank. They rushed production leading up to the Battle of Kursk, and most of the Panthers were lost due to mechanical failure and not enemy action.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17438 posts)
"To say that the Germans were "very close" to an atomic bomb is not really what I meant. But they had the lead and definitely had the brains to do it. They just got their bank account frozen before they could get far enough."

That's the bottom line. They were never as close to the "bomb" as we thought they were. As to the MP, I should have said that once we were up and running no one was going to catch us. I'm sure the reasons you mention have something to do with Germany not being able continue , but more importantly it seems someone (Hitler?) early on made a decision that nuclear fission would not contribute significantly to ending the war and seems to be the main reason, unknowingly to the US at the time, Germany lost interest.

Germany used millions of slave labor to construct underground factories for the development of the V2 and to build their jet fighter. IMO I think if they had put as much importance on building a "bomb" they would have used that labor to build bomb proof research facilities and did not do so because they did not believe it was as important a weapon as we thought they did. That is not to say at the time we did not do the right thing, but it was never a close race.

Cape Coral FL
Username hidden
(4121 posts)
Goodenuff:

Interesting stuff!

TMF52:

You need to identify what information you think is incorrect. And since you think it wrong, state what you believe. I get information from many sources ..... TV, newspapers, websites. Where do you get yours?

Henderson NV
Username hidden
(86 posts)
You said "we had a year or more full up and running head start with the Manhattan Project". No, we didn't.

Nothing you wrote in your timeline from wiki is inconsistent with what I stated. The German project was disrupted by the war turning against them, the loss of Norwegian heavy water plants, and internal problems within Nazi Germany. The war consumed more of their national resources than they could afford, and the project became reduced in scope. But they were on the way first and if they had a safe secure place in New Mexico, uranium from Canada, etc they would have made it. The Japanese also had a nuclear bomb project although it didn't get very far.

As for the V2 - it was a vastly small undertaking compared to the atomic bomb project.

To say that the Germans were "very close" to an atomic bomb is not really what I meant. But they had the lead and definitely had the brains to do it. They just got their bank account frozen before they could get far enough.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20532 posts)
"LQQK, your statements with regards to the time frames of the respective atomic bomb projects are simply wrong"

I do not believe that I stated a specific time frame and I do not question yours. It is fact that many scientists fled Gernamy shortly after AH came to power, but how much of an effect that had is really not known. The bottom line here is that although Germany in the late 1930's started looking into the feasibility of making an atomic weapon they never pursued it to the extent we thought they had. I do not feel the invasion of Russia was the difference because IMO had that been the case it should have also ended development of the V2

From Wiki: The German nuclear weapon project (German: Uranprojekt; informally known as the Uranverein; English: Uranium Society or Uranium Club), was a clandestine scientific effort led by Germany to develop and produce nuclear weapons during World War II. This program started in April 1939, just months after the discovery of nuclear fission in January 1939, but ended only months later due to the German invasion of Poland, after many notable physicists were drafted into the Wehrmacht. A second effort began under the administrative purview of the Wehrmacht's Heereswaffenamt on 1 September 1939, the day of the Invasion of Poland. The program eventually expanded into three main efforts: the Uranmaschine (nuclear reactor), uranium and heavy water production, and uranium isotope separation. Eventually it was assessed that nuclear fission would not contribute significantly to ending the war, and in January 1942, the Heereswaffenamt turned the program over to the Reich Research Council while continuing to fund the program. The program was split up among nine major institutes where the directors dominated the research and set their own objectives. Subsequently, the number of scientists working on applied nuclear fission began to diminish, with many applying their talents to more pressing war-time demands.

Cape Coral FL
Username hidden
(4121 posts)
I'll do that.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3978 posts)
Goring was the Nazis' meth dealer. See my "fun facts" post.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20532 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 1880   End
TOPIC: W T F