US citizens are not barred from traveling to Cuba, : Swingers Discussion 83625
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsUS citizens are not barred from traveling to Cuba,
TOPIC: US citizens are not barred from traveling to Cuba,
Created by: solitolp The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
User Details are only visible to members.
moore is a liar and they called him on it and easily proved it.

Destin FL

Username hidden
(14562 posts)
doesn't sound like the ravings of a lunatic to me.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
haha, that 20/20 segment has not even AIRED yet!!

i did see that John Schlossel (the author/creator of the 20/20 segment) did release a portion of his interview with moore. Here is a portion...

Surprisingly, he did show an understanding of the importance of the libertarian philosophy to America. "John, your way of thinking actually was great for this country. I mean it; it helped to found the country. It helped build us into one of the greatest nations, perhaps the greatest nation, that the earth has ever seen. Limited government, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, every man for himself, forward movement, pioneer spirit. That's why a lot of people in these other countries really admire us, because there's this American get up and go."

After acknowledging that limited government helped make America great, Moore went on to say, "But I don't think that what you believe is what's going to allow us to survive."

He means that if government does not assure people health care and food, our society will disintegrate.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Moore busted on 20/20...none of the "facts" in the movie are true...all lies made up and repeated by the Castro government.

Destin FL

Username hidden
(14562 posts)
The embargo is working but it has unintentional consequences. The people of Cuba were supposed to cause a revolt against Fidel's regime - to date, it has suppressed the advancements of its people by providing menial economic benefits. Fidel has done well to control the anti-government movement.

The sequence to his death is yet to be determined. Perhaps the US government will terminate the embargo in hopes to establish a friendlier realtionship and threaten the current relationship they have with Chavez.

By the way (to the previous arguments): communism cannot exist because it is an utopian concept whereby a national government does not exist.

Fairfield CA

Username hidden
(575 posts)
Dzzy

Can't say that I have read (or maybe I should say retained knowledge) concerning why there was an embargo and travel restriction to start with other than the famed "Cuban Missile Crisis". I did a little google and from then to now it would appear to be a pissing contest between the US and Castro. I did not remember for example that Cuba was a US territory won by the US victory in the Spanish-American war with Spain. The Cubans were directing more and more sugar and tobacco imports away from Spain to the US. The US granted Cuba independence in 1902, things went sour. My reading indicated that although the US granted independence, Cuba saw the US as meddling in thier political affairs. After a couple years under Castro's control, the US started reducing sugar and tobacco exports to the US trying to exert the political influence. The Soviet Union instead picked up the slack on the exports each time the US embargos were toughened until the Cuban Missile Crisis. Sometime after that Kennedy placed by "executive order" the complete embargo (after ordering a supply of cuban cigars for his future use) with travel restrictions to prevent US money from being spent in Cuba or citizens obtaining gifts. I did not know that these travel restrictions by "executive order" had to be renewed every 6 months. Carter did not renew the executive order, travel and trade eased a bit until Ronald Reagan renewed the order in 1982 leaving it where it is now.

So is there "now" a valid reason to continue? Makes one wonder, as the effect of the embargo apparantly did not harm Cuba due to the Soviet Union picking up the slack for their exports and importation of crude oil.

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
i too welcome fresh blood in the political forums, welcome hagondes.

i certainly understood your point...

btw, why are we free to travel to china, russia and most other "communist" countries and not cuba. it really is silly at this point.

i was in key west in may and some english visitors were at our hotel and they were dumfounded that their were no flights to cuba. they asked why and i struggled for a "real" reason...

wasn't the theory always that the more you exposed the country to western influences the more "western" it would become... although surely that theory does not seem to fly in the middle east..

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
LOL

mee tu Jack

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
WTF Scotty

Are we in English class here with as many typos, mispellings and gramatical errors as everyone including yourself make? Kinda of dodging the point of any discussion to get sidelined on such mistakes. Don't you think? I think it's pretty pathetic that someone call someone on one of those kind of errors and then mispell the same word twice and mispelled the same way instead of listening to what someone is saying or trying to say. You got some fresh blood in the political discussions and you can't even discuss the issue or what is said. You must get side tracked on errors that everyone makes. I personally think it's kind of a fresh idea here that someone as young as this young man is even interested in what's going on in the world. Do I need to spell check or is it ok for an "old" man to make spelling error or gramatical error for that matter.

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
i spell lots of shit wrong. I work with numbers. I employ people to write letters.

ok the most obvious is you used "you" instead of your. You find the rest.

Lake Worth FL

Username hidden
(7207 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
TOPIC: US citizens are not barred from traveling to Cuba,