Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics UNGA 2012
TOPIC: UNGA 2012
Created by: Seduction4Two
Original Starting post for this thread:
It would have been a great speech, had he not tossed a bit of campaigning into his United Nations General Assembly speech.

I think that President Obama did great in some areas, not so great in others.

Great: Condemned terrorism and those who support it, such as the Iranian regime. Negotiations and diplomacy with Iran. Condemned those who abuse the First Amendment to insult and abuse people's religious beliefs and their gods. Condemned denial of Holocaust.

Not so great: A bit soft on Iran's nuclear bomb development. Though did issue what I think of as a soft threat (Despite warnings by Ban Ki-Moon not to threaten) to Iran. He injected a piece in there that was in my opinion, targeted for the American audience, in other words, he used UNGA's podium to campaign, when he spoke about the First Amendment. Arab Spring.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"... the part about the video and free speech was a bit long. But explaining concepts like respect and tolerance for opposing viewpoints, to people for whom such concepts are alien, takes a bit longer. Saying that Assad must go, is much quicker and easier to understand."

The Syrian conflict, the riots over the "blasphemous" video, and free speech -- all seem to be addressed in one fell swoop. The time was right for such a convergence of message. He knocks down several birds with one boomerang.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Yes, in Hiker's world he is. In the eyes of the world, not so much!

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
A true World leader.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I liked those parts as well.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
I just now read the text. Pretty damn good speech. You're right, the part about the video and free speech was a bit long. But explaining concepts like respect and tolerance for opposing viewpoints, to people for whom such concepts are alien, takes a bit longer. Saying that Assad must go, is much quicker and easier to understand.

I also thought it was a masterpiece to start and finish the speech with references to Chris Stevens.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10938 posts)
Campaigning:

The war in Iraq is over. American troops have come home. We’ve begun a transition in Afghanistan, and America and our allies will end our war on schedule in 2014. Al Qaeda has been weakened, and Osama bin Laden is no more. Nations have come together to lock down nuclear materials, and America and Russia are reducing our arsenals. We have seen hard choices made -- from Naypyidaw to Cairo to Abidjan -- to put more power in the hands of citizens.

At a time of economic challenge, the world has come together to broaden prosperity. Through the G20, we have partnered with emerging countries to keep the world on the path of recovery. America has pursued a development agenda that fuels growth and breaks dependency, and worked with African leaders to help them feed their nations. New partnerships have been forged to combat corruption and promote government that is open and transparent, and new commitments have been made through the Equal Futures Partnership to ensure that women and girls can fully participate in politics and pursue opportunity. And later today, I will discuss our efforts to combat the scourge of human trafficking.

All these things give me hope. But what gives me the most hope is not the actions of us, not the actions of leaders -- it is the people that I’ve seen. The American troops who have risked their lives and sacrificed their limbs for strangers half a world away; the students in Jakarta or Seoul who are eager to use their knowledge to benefit mankind; the faces in a square in Prague or a parliament in Ghana who see democracy giving voice to their aspirations; the young people in the favelas of Rio and the schools of Mumbai whose eyes shine with promise. These men, women, and children of every race and every faith remind me that for every angry mob that gets shown on television, there are billions around the world who share similar hopes and dreams. They tell us that there is a common heartbeat to humanity.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
Sounds like he is trying to undo the damage of his past policies and statements.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19550 posts)
In Iran, we see where the path of a violent and unaccountable ideology leads. The Iranian people have a remarkable and ancient history, and many Iranians wish to enjoy peace and prosperity alongside their neighbors. But just as it restricts the rights of its own people, the Iranian government continues to prop up a dictator in Damascus and supports terrorist groups abroad. Time and again, it has failed to take the opportunity to demonstrate that its nuclear program is peaceful, and to meet its obligations to the United Nations.

So let me be clear. America wants to resolve this issue through diplomacy, and we believe that there is still time and space to do so. But that time is not unlimited. We respect the right of nations to access peaceful nuclear power, but one of the purposes of the United Nations is to see that we harness that power for peace. And make no mistake, a nuclear-armed Iran is not a challenge that can be contained. It would threaten the elimination of Israel, the security of Gulf nations, and the stability of the global economy. It risks triggering a nuclear-arms race in the region, and the unraveling of the non-proliferation treaty. That’s why a coalition of countries is holding the Iranian government accountable. And that’s why the United States will do what we must to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt -- it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, “Muslims, Christians, we are one.” The future must not belong to those who bully women -- it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons.

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country’s resources -- it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied.

Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims and Shiite pilgrims. It’s time to heed the words of Gandhi: “Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.” Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies, that’s the vision we will support.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
If he simply touched on it, I probably would have not picked up on it, he over did it. Read it, or watch it, I'm sure it's already available. I had an hour to kill, so I watched it while I got radioactive crap injected into me.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: UNGA 2012