Top Va Republican urges court to keep anti-sodomy laws on books : Swingers Discussion 2198381011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsTop Va Republican urges court to keep anti-sodomy laws on books
TOPIC: Top Va Republican urges court to keep anti-sodomy laws on books
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 18 of 18 
User Details are only visible to members.
The issue is the severity of the crime.

Statutory rape is a misdemeanor. Sodomy is a felony.

They want the guy to spend more time in jail than would be required by statutory rape.

That being said, the Cooch (I can't spell his name, and this nickname is, well, just great) is on record as late as 2009 supporting the law because of his anti-gay views.

“I got savaged by the Washington Post late in the — I know that’s a shock to everybody here — late in the race for my natural law explanation, or the natural law portion of my explanation, about why homosexual acts are wrong and should not be accommodated in government policy. And they went berserk over that,” Cuccinelli said at a conservative women’s event sponsored by the Heritage Foundation and Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, a conservative women’s group, shortly after being elected attorney general."

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
BS

Some people just can't see that they are being misled by the media.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17025 posts)
I think he's been drinking and driving the cyberhighway...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2744 posts)
BS says some unusual things, but also has some piercing insight sometimes.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19558 posts)
it seems some people on here try to mislead people a lot.I wonder why..........BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
"...charged in 2005 with soliciting a 17-year-old woman to engage in oral sex.... the Lawrence decision rendered the Virginia sodomy statue 'facially' or completely unconstitutional."

Facial sodomy? Worth trying once?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
We've been over this a little before... the key here (and the story barely mentions it) is that this is more of an age of consent issue than anything else. The person at the center of this is a 37 year old man convicted (originally) of 2 counts of sodomy with 16 year old girls and online soliciting of a 17 year old.

Virginia does have some confusing and conflicting age of consent laws, and these definitely need to be cleaned up. But when people make the claim that buttsex between consenting adults in Virginia is illegal, they are simply wrong.

Note that the author called the 17 year old a "woman". News stories typically refer to people under 18 as "boy" or "girl". I don't know if that's a deliberate effort to play down the fact that she's a minor and thus make it appear as if this is an issue of sexual relations between adults, but everyone's been spinning this to Kingdom Come so who knows.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19558 posts)
Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) is urging a federal appeals court to overturn a three-judge panel's decision to declare an anti-sodomy law unconstitutional.

The Washington Blade reports that Cuccinelli filed a formal "petition with the 4th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Richmond asking the full 15-judge court to reconsider a decision by a three-judge panel last month that overturned the state's sodomy law. The three-judge panel ruled 2-1 on March 12 that a section of Virginia's 'Crimes Against Nature' statute that outlaws sodomy between consenting adults, gay or straight, is unconstitutional based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision in 2003 known as Lawrence v. Texas."

Cuccinelli will be formally nominated as the Republican nominee in this year's governor's race by the state party at its convention May 18.

The move could potentially have repercussions for his gubernatorial bid in a state Barack Obama won in both 2008 and 2012. It also comes just as the U.S. Supreme Court is considering two cases dealing with gay rights, after the national party has urged Republicans to accept gays and lesbians, and as Senate Republicans like Rob Portman of Ohio and Mark Kirk of Illinois have

announced their support for same-sex marriage.

Cuccinelli will be running against likely Democratic nominee Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman and major Bill and Hillary Clinton fundraiser, in what is sure to be one of the most closely watched races this year.

More background from the Blade:

"The March 12 ruling of the appeals court's three-judge panel overturned a lower court decision upholding the conviction of a 37-year-old man charged in 2005 with soliciting a 17-year-old woman to engage in oral sex. The Attorney General's office argued that the Supreme Court's Lawrence decision didn't apply to cases involving minors. But 4th Circuit Appeals Court Judge Robert King, who wrote the majority opinion, said the Lawrence decision rendered the Virginia sodomy statue 'facially' or completely unconstitutional. He stated other laws could be used to prosecute an adult for engaging in sex with a minor and that the Virginia General Assembly would likely have authority under the Lawrence decision to pass a new law specifically outlawing sodomy between an adult and a minor."

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2744 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
Start   11 to 18 of 18 
TOPIC: Top Va Republican urges court to keep anti-sodomy laws on books