Theology 101 : Swingers Discussion 77498
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsTheology 101
TOPIC: Theology 101
Created by: darchangel666 The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Question:

When was the first English Translation published/made of the Old/New Testament ??

Or into any other language for that matter ?

M

Tinton Falls NJ

Username hidden
(825 posts)
"....Wait, my grandmother attended The Church of God LOL Doesn't God trump Christ? LOL"

I like that...that is very good. LOL!

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
yeah Sim I was the questioning son in law. But I'm telling you, it was very simple to this man. He was a Georgia share cropper in his youth with a 6th grade education (I think), retired worker from Levi Straus (over 30years) after the share cropping days. He probably didn't even understand all teh differenct versions of bibles out there and I'd bet it would change his answer one iota. In his belief no version of the bible could be wrong for it's believers because the hand of man writing any version would be guided by the Lord. Now that being said, they believed that the Church of Christ was the true religion - after all it's in the name....The Church of Christ. I don't remember what he used to say but my reply was sometime....Wait, my grandmother attended The Church of God LOL Doesn't God trump Christ? LOL

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
"The hand of man was "guided" by the Lord". In other words man couldn't get it wrong or translated wrong as the Lord actually chose the words "man" wrote.

I can understand what he was trying to say....but unfortunately there are many many different versions of the Bible. A verse from the King James leads you to interpret it one way when you read the same verse in the Living Bible and it you get a different perspective that you totally wouldn't have grasp just from the King James version. So...which is correct? Unfortunately, thats what the Bible is all about .... your OWN interpretation. Two different ministers preaching on the same gospel and present totall different perspectives on the meaning. Who is right? The only right interpretation is your own... from your own heart... with your own connection to God.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
Who's words, or thoughts, or recollections do you believe?"

Only my own when it comes to spiritual values.... I don't need someone else between me and God.....telling me whats right and wrong. I have my own direct link to him through prayer and meditation...everything else is second best and really irrelevant.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
I'm reminded of a discussion I used to have with my father in law years ago before his death. He was a devoted Church of Christ follower but never avoided debates with other beliefs. The only guy I ever saw that would invite the Jahova Witnesses into his home with the agreement that he'd give them the first hour but he got the second. lol

Anyway, I used to challenge him for arguements sake that the bible was written by man and then later translated by man. His answer was always simple. "The hand of man was "guided" by the Lord". In other words man couldn't get it wrong or translated wrong as the Lord actually chose the words "man" wrote.

St Petersburg FL

Username hidden
(989 posts)
Then why do people take the "words" of Jesus as the true words of Jesus? They didn't have tape recorders back then and memories are anything but accurate.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
The book of Revelations shouldn't have made the cut....most churches I've attended shy away from it and don't address it's contents much.

I think about it this way. Let's say a friend or even someone thats never met me followed my life. Now... I never wrote my thoughts down during my life. Then people pick up the pen and write about what I was about and my teachings....some who never met me. Do you really think those writings are going to be an accurate reflection of the real me? Of course not. Maybe, if my husband wrote about me that would be the closest but even then he wouldn't be 100% right. The only true reflection would come only from me. Jesus didn't pick up the pen.... all writings about Jesus are thereby flawed and can't be trusted 100%. Logic dictates it.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
They joined the people that were in Hell for eating meat on Friday's during Lent years ago when that was still considered an official "sin". How religions change....and will keep changing...nothing is static. Thats why its amusing for me to see people get in an uproar about breaking a rule or not believing in something assoicated to THEIR religion. How can you be so adamant about something when the rules and boundaries continue to evolve and change (or the official interpretation of something changes)? I'm sure 50 years ago in everyday conversations people would have "gasped" at the thought of someone not adhering to not eating meat on those Fridays and gave them the riot act for it and verbally condemn them to eternal hell and damnation.....why? Its a moot point now.... now it's NOT a sin. Are all those people that broke that rule stil in Hell or just because the Pope decided to change the rule told God...."Okay you can those those people out now." Geeeeze... those people were never in hell to begin with and you don't think this same scenario won't play its way out again and again as time moves forward (just like people were never in Limbo). Religion and man are petty.... God is not.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
An interesting book on it is "The Laughing Jesus - Religious lies and Gnostic Wisdom" Written by Pete Gandy, an authority on pagan mysteries and early Christianity and Timothy Freke, who has written more than 20 books on spirituality. The scriptures are missing gospels that of course never made the cut in to the Bible......the Bible had too many cooks in the kitchen and too many editors for me to think that those are the only "correct" writings ever written.

Mountain Ranch CA

Username hidden
(8696 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 20   End
TOPIC: Theology 101