The Right's failure to understand capitalism : Swingers Discussion 2205151041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe Right's failure to understand capitalism
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   41 to 50 of 71   End
User Details are only visible to members.
IA? I used to do work in IA. A lot of work. I can't compete anymore.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
I have never known a contractor to offer benefits, All the one's I know pay their employees as contract labor, making the employee responsible for their own taxes and health care. There are no guarantee of hours and pay is around 8 to 10 an hour.also there is no guarantee that one will be paid on time and I have know workers who where paid less than agreed on or not paid at all because the contractor claimed to have loss money on the job. But then again I live in a right to work state.

Username hidden
(1261 posts)
To preface this- I am not all that familiar with wages, contracting and emploment law in CA.

I will not dispute that the wages paid on private residential work, up to say 4 unit buildings, are, the majority of the time, not paid at the prevailing wage. Those contractors who engage in that type of work typically employ far fewer than their commercial counterparts. This is also true of some small commercial contractors.

It is my guess, from knowing many small contractors, that many of those small contractors pay different wages for the same type of work to the same employee based upon the project they are working on.

I see it in payroll reports from subcontractors all the time: John Doe earned $20/hour on 24 hrs in a week, but earned $32/hr + benefit $$ to compensate for any differences in their benefit package, for the 16 hours/week they worked on a commercial project that was required to pay prevailing wage.

I do not pay a different wage to my employees on different jobs unless the local prevailing wage is higher than their wage. Which, because my business address is in that part of my geographical work area that has the highest wage, doesn't happen.

Higher $$ per hour, or higher annual earnings/continuous health coverage. Pick one.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
I don't think either side truly believes in capitalism, not when the government subsidies companies, (pays farmers not to grow crops, buy up dairy products at an inflated price ect. Or when prices of goods are artificially inflated to keep companies in business.

or when one has to muddle through miles of red tape and pay a fortune in license and permite fees just to open a taco stand.

Or when companies are allow to pay prisoners 23cents an hour or when wall streets is making a killing but the economy isn't getting any better.

I for one believe in pure capitalism, and the concept of supply and demand where a business rises or falls by it an merits.

Username hidden
(1261 posts)
About 4 weeks ago I had almost all of the interior of my house painted - trim, doors, walls, ceilings, including minor drywall repairs. I paid the self-employed guy $4,150 for a total of around 100 hours of work (he did around 70 and a buddy did about 30). The paint probably cost him $700-$1,000.

So if he's paying his buddy $20 an hour, $4,150 - $850 - $600 = $38.50 an hour. He'll have some additional costs like self-employment extra taxes, etc. so he's probably taking home $30-$32 an hour for that (and then taxed like a "normal" person).

As for this:

"If no one is willing to work the job, it is because the job isn't paying enough"

What capitalist doesn't understand this? For all of Robert's weird ideas, I find it interesting that he seems to get this one - a basic law of supply and demand.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17545 posts)
"By definition they are the wages of the majority of employees are paid for a particular category of work. "

Prevailing wage jobs are few and far between around here. There are no private jobs around here that I know of that pay it.

So while prevailing for a painter may be around $40, the going rate for a painter on a private job is in the neighborhood of $12-$15. And there are 100 people lined up to get the job...

This may have something to do with our proximity to the border...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17221 posts)
LOL

I guess I posted the wrong "draft" in my first of the last 2 posts. Not exactly what I intended to post. Damn work keeps interfering with my Forum perusing.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Same here not many unions around here

Berryville VA

Username hidden
(1750 posts)
I Live in the south we ain't got not unions.

Username hidden
(1261 posts)
tbr I forgot to say that some private projects end up being prevailing wage. Not because of the government requirement, but rather because of PLAs and/or language in CBAs.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   41 to 50 of 71   End
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism