The Right's failure to understand capitalism : Swingers Discussion 2205151041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe Right's failure to understand capitalism
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   41 to 50 of 65   End
User Details are only visible to members.
About 4 weeks ago I had almost all of the interior of my house painted - trim, doors, walls, ceilings, including minor drywall repairs. I paid the self-employed guy $4,150 for a total of around 100 hours of work (he did around 70 and a buddy did about 30). The paint probably cost him $700-$1,000.

So if he's paying his buddy $20 an hour, $4,150 - $850 - $600 = $38.50 an hour. He'll have some additional costs like self-employment extra taxes, etc. so he's probably taking home $30-$32 an hour for that (and then taxed like a "normal" person).

As for this:

"If no one is willing to work the job, it is because the job isn't paying enough"

What capitalist doesn't understand this? For all of Robert's weird ideas, I find it interesting that he seems to get this one - a basic law of supply and demand.

Puerto Morelos Quintana Roo Mexico
Username hidden
(18839 posts)
"By definition they are the wages of the majority of employees are paid for a particular category of work. "

Prevailing wage jobs are few and far between around here. There are no private jobs around here that I know of that pay it.

So while prevailing for a painter may be around $40, the going rate for a painter on a private job is in the neighborhood of $12-$15. And there are 100 people lined up to get the job...

This may have something to do with our proximity to the border...

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17350 posts)
LOL

I guess I posted the wrong "draft" in my first of the last 2 posts. Not exactly what I intended to post. Damn work keeps interfering with my Forum perusing.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Same here not many unions around here

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
tbr I forgot to say that some private projects end up being prevailing wage. Not because of the government requirement, but rather because of PLAs and/or language in CBAs.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Robert, he was talking to me. Try and pay attention...

tbr, yes, they are in fact prevailing wage numbers. By definition they are the wages of the majority of employees are paid for a particular category of work. Those wages vary in various areas of a state and the nation.

Typically they are based on Union wages because, I believe, more union contractors enter the reports than do merit shop employers.

In MN those wages are most often the wages set by a particular CBA. While not all projects require minimum wage, specifically those without Federal or State dollars involved, most Union employers pay the same wage regardless of the project.

It is important to remember that not all public jobs are prevailing wage jobs. Many school, city etc. jobs are not funded by State or Federal dollars, Private jobs are only required to pay the prevailing wage when the Unions step in and get the owner to agree to a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) requiring all employees on the job be Union.

For the record, I pay prevailing wage or more on ALL projects. But that's a whole different topic...

The Left's failure to understand capitalism

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
tbr:

Who are you talking to?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7275 posts)
Those sound like prevailing wage numbers, which only apply for government contracts.

My wife is a journeyman painter, and at least in CA, those wages for non-prevailing work are unheard of.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17350 posts)
Good:

Great for you... Most every contractor I know, works the early fall, early spring and into the summer. Those who can't get jobs between middle fall and through winter get other jobs as they are unemployed.

As for what those who are unemployed do while unemployed... So long as they show up when career links contacts them with a job (temp or otherwise) I don't care. Their obligation is to show up for the job.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7275 posts)
Very few people in construction work a 2,000 hour years around here. Most either get another job in the winter, or collect unemployment while they sit on a frozen lake fishing, drinking beer, or while in the FL Keys, Mexico, etc., etc. Some work under the table cash side jobs while still collecting unemployment.

The modern check in with the Unemployment office by computer is to their adantage- they are supposed to "be available for work". When logging in from FL, to check on job availability in MN, the Unemployment office has no idea they are actually on a beach drinking beer, working for cash or staring at the walls at home.

The wages I posted are accurate. Straight from a contract.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   41 to 50 of 65   End
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism