Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics The Right's failure to understand capitalism
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   31 to 40 of 65   End
User Details are only visible to members.
So do you solicit most of your work going door to door with flyers? Got a magnetic sign on your truck?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
So to get the contract, you rent some storefront or building, claim that's your business headquarters so you duck out of paying the prevailing wage.

Seen it many times by "merit" shops scrounging for work.

If that's what you have to do to get work and skip out on paying your workers the prevailing wage it makes one wonder about the quality of your work.

But to others like you, your just being a good business man...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
Actually, the system for federally and in many cases state financed construction projects is that the employees get paid the prevailing wage.

One reality is that those wages are the union wages.

Another reality is that in order to be compliant, firms that pay less than the union/prevailing wage must pay a higher wage for their employees on the project.

Another reality is that a non-union contractor SHOULD have a higher payroll cost per employee than a union contractor on that project. Unless of course there's a PLA in effect.

Another reality is that some contractors have one "employee"- the owner. The exemption to prevailing wage is that if you are the owner of the business, you HAVE to pay employees the prevailing wage, BUT you don't have to pay yourself the prevailing wage. So, if you are now the sole proprietor of your business and you do the work, you do not have to get prevailing wage.

Another reality is that some contractors will set up each individual as a subcontractor, so they are technically not employees and thus do not have to get prevailing wage. The IRS caught on to this awhile ago and so now there are some very strict requirements to ensure a subcontractor is actually a subcontractor and not an employee.

Another reality is that I could go on for thousands of words on the subject. But I won't.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"The system" apparently is "You pay what I tell you to".

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20263 posts)
It's not informative to you since you already know how to cheat the system.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
"Another non-union scab tactic... "

That was both an informative and inspiring thought, which may mean something to someone. Maybe.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Sorry, I forgot that.

JW if that topless bar is still around- the one where touching by the patrons was not only encouraged but graded...? I forget the name of the place, but don't forget the first dancer who got upset that I didn't touch her... That was many years ago though- probably not there anymore.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"I do not pay a different wage to my employees on different jobs unless the local prevailing wage is higher than their wage. Which, because my business address is in that part of my geographical work area that has the highest wage, doesn't happen."

Another non-union scab tactic...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
IA? I used to do work in IA. A lot of work. I can't compete anymore.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
To preface this- I am not all that familiar with wages, contracting and emploment law in CA.

I will not dispute that the wages paid on private residential work, up to say 4 unit buildings, are, the majority of the time, not paid at the prevailing wage. Those contractors who engage in that type of work typically employ far fewer than their commercial counterparts. This is also true of some small commercial contractors.

It is my guess, from knowing many small contractors, that many of those small contractors pay different wages for the same type of work to the same employee based upon the project they are working on.

I see it in payroll reports from subcontractors all the time: John Doe earned $20/hour on 24 hrs in a week, but earned $32/hr + benefit $$ to compensate for any differences in their benefit package, for the 16 hours/week they worked on a commercial project that was required to pay prevailing wage.

I do not pay a different wage to my employees on different jobs unless the local prevailing wage is higher than their wage. Which, because my business address is in that part of my geographical work area that has the highest wage, doesn't happen.

Higher $$ per hour, or higher annual earnings/continuous health coverage. Pick one.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   31 to 40 of 65   End
TOPIC: The Right's failure to understand capitalism