The One and Only Civil War Thread (I hope): Let this be our virtual Gettysburg battlefield : Swingers Discussion 98316
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe One and Only Civil War Thread (I hope): Let this be our virtual Gettysburg battlefield
TOPIC: The One and Only Civil War Thread (I hope): Let this be our virtual Gettysburg battlefield
Created by: sappholovers
Original Starting post for this thread:
Lucky, PerfectMatch, et al.

Our ongoing debate and "discussion" about the Civil War has given rise to several different threads about the Civil War (started by me) and the debate now spreads into--or infects--other threads on topics completely unrelated to the Civil War.

Could we please try to contain all debate about the Civil War in this thread so as not to clog up others with this debate?

Frankly, I think we've worn this debate into the ground, and I tire of your unwillingness to engage evidence, fact, and historical argument by other scholars and experts the field (besides me) in good faith.

But devoted as I am to historical understanding, I am more than willing to keep the debate and discussion going. Give me your Pickett's charge. Make my day.

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
User Details are only visible to members.
And Destin belows to the Confederate Pride (or Myth) School of History.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
and the Civil War was fought for economic reasons and not slavery

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Destin:

Jefferson Davis in his April 29, 1861 speech before the Confederate Congress called slavery the interest that was of "transcendent magnitude" in the debate between North and South and over which the South fled the Union.

Do you agree or disagree with Jefferson Davis' view that slavery was the most significant factor for the war--the interest of "transcendent magnitude" or was Jefferson Davis wrong when he was justifying the reasons for Secession before the Confederate Congress?

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Ok, I'll bite. Civil War history really isn't my schtick but I like to bullshit! Here's an engineering viewpoint on slavery. It may sound a little cold but here goes: It wasn't a moral issue that brought the end of slavery in the USA. It was machines. Thanks to the industrial revolution, mechanized farming eliminated the need for mass labor forces to reap and sow crops. Uncle Tom could grow as much with his International Harvester as he could with a house full of slaves.

Baltimore MD
Username hidden
(63 posts)
Lucky, PerfectMatch, et al.

Our ongoing debate and "discussion" about the Civil War has given rise to several different threads about the Civil War (started by me) and the debate now spreads into--or infects--other threads on topics completely unrelated to the Civil War.

Could we please try to contain all debate about the Civil War in this thread so as not to clog up others with this debate?

Frankly, I think we've worn this debate into the ground, and I tire of your unwillingness to engage evidence, fact, and historical argument by other scholars and experts the field (besides me) in good faith.

But devoted as I am to historical understanding, I am more than willing to keep the debate and discussion going. Give me your Pickett's charge. Make my day.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
TOPIC: The One and Only Civil War Thread (I hope): Let this be our virtual Gettysburg battlefield