The News you DON'T Hear! : Swingers Discussion 75824101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe News you DON'T Hear!
TOPIC: The News you DON'T Hear!
Created by: SensuousAndNasty
Original Starting post for this thread:
Sunni Sheiks Join Fight Vs. Insurgency Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:39 PM EDT The Associated Press By TODD PITMAN

RAMADI, Iraq (AP) — Not long ago it would have been unthinkable: a Sunni sheik allying himself publicly with American forces in a xenophobic city at the epicenter of Iraq's Sunni insurgency.

Today, there is no mistaking whose side Sheik Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi is on. Outside his walled home, a U.S. tank is on permanent guard beside a clutch of towering date palms and a protective dirt berm.

The 36-year-old sheik is leading a growing movement of Sunni tribesmen who have turned against al-Qaida-linked insurgents in Anbar province. The dramatic shift in alliances may have done more in a few months to ease daily street battles and undercut the insurgency here than American forces have achieved in years with arms.

The American commander responsible for Ramadi, Col. John W. Charlton, said the newly friendly sheiks, combined with an aggressive counterinsurgency strategy and the presence of thousands of new Sunni police on the streets, have helped cut attacks in the city by half in recent months.

In November 2005, American commanders held a breakthrough meeting with top Sunni chiefs in Ramadi, hoping to lure them away from the insurgents' fold. The sheiks responded positively, promising cooperation and men for a police force that was then virtually nonexistent.

But in January 2006 a suicide bomber attacked a police recruiting drive, killing 70 people. Insurgents killed at least four sheiks for cooperating with the Americans, and many others fled.

The killings left the effort in limbo, until a turning point; insurgents killed a prominent sheik last year and refused to let family members bury the body for four days, enraging Sunni tribesmen, said U.S. Lt. Col. Miciotto Johnson, who heads the 1st Battalion, 77th Armored Regiment and visits al-Rishawi frequently in western Ramadi.

Al-Rishawi, whose father and three brothers were killed by al-Qaida assassins, said insurgents were "killing innocent people, anyone suspected of opposing them. They brought us nothing but destruction and we finally said, enough is enough."

Al-Rishawi founded the Anbar Salvation Council in September with dozens of Sunni tribes. Many of the new newly friendly leaders are believed to have at least tacitly supported the insurgency in the past, though al-Rishawi said he never did.

"I was always against these terrorists," al-Rishawi said in an interview inside his American-guarded compound, adjusting a pistol holstered around his waist. "They brainwashed people into thinking Americans were against them. They said foreigners wanted to occupy our land and destroy our mosques. They told us, 'We'll wage a jihad. We'll help you defeat them.'" (Continued.....)

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
sounding a bit paranoid there ER, did you medicate today?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
You're not fine. You're just complacent. You've been quelled, and you don't even know it. You're like a deer in the headlights of a mack truck of government barreling at you at sixty plus miles per hour, destined only to be made venison soup.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Sounds like your kind of place. Why don't you go?

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Probably go to Switzerland. I hear it's mandatory to own guns there.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
"The interesting part of his post is that he FINALLY loosely acknowledges that the Global War On Terror effects EVERYONE!!"

No, it affects me so little that I'm apathetic and don't care who gets sent!

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Then push for legislation to re-instate the draft! Why wouldn't you? You seem to think the citizenry would just willingly comply. I think they will revolt. I frankly would love to see what the answer is. I'd pop popcorn and watch the chaos in the streets from the comfort of my armchair on CNN World ... in Europe.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Civil war? Liberals dont have the ball for the war in Iraq but will engage in civil war in this country LOL you kill me...

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Again scrath my head WTF are you talking about?

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
It's not a problem. I say send them all, every last one of them, over. Every single solitary military member that's obligated in any way or form. Even retired veterans.

As long as they don't re-instate the draft. At that point this country will have a new war on it's hands.

A civil war.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Duty calls yup so whats the problem? It is their job!!!!

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
TOPIC: The News you DON'T Hear!