The Height Of Liberal Religious Arrogance : Swingers Discussion 97559
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe Height Of Liberal Religious Arrogance
TOPIC: The Height Of Liberal Religious Arrogance
Created by: joeodd2
Original Starting post for this thread:
Why people choose conservative religious paths

I have thought about this for much of my life, certainly ever since I became a serious Unitarian Universalist back in the 1970s. For a long time, I assumed it was a lack of information or education that kept people loyal to very conservative theological paths. But as I've spent time in ministry, become acquainted with good people on a wide variety of religious paths, and examined my own reasons for leaving conservative religion, I've had to change my thinking.

Quite a few people whom I respect and love are devout members of conservative religious communities with theologies far different in many respects from my brand of liberal UU mostly-Christian thought. Many of them are well-educated and committed to serving others. Except for theology, they're not that different from me, though we diverge on some social issues.

As I sat in a local restaurant this morning, finishing my breakfast coffee, I started a list of the reasons I think people choose (or remain in) conservative religious paths. Here it is, in order of how they came to mind.

1. They were born into it and see no reason to leave. 2. They make a bargain with God during some crisis. 3. They marry into it and are devout to satisfy their mate. 4. They are willing to believe religious authority figures (pastor, priest, etc.) about doctrinal matters. 5. They stay because of family unity. 6. They are not very self-reflective or critical of doctrine. 7. They lack information or they reject the information they do get. 8. They want to belong to a popular religious path. 9. They reject liberal social values. 10. They are rebelling against parents. 11. They work at jobs that give them little or no time to reflect on religious doctrines. 12. They have distaste for the Other whom their religion considers sinful. 13. The foundational story of their religion is gripping and the consequences of diverging from its tenets are frightening. 14. They fear that the story is true and this keeps them from abandoning it. 15. Their religion allows them to act in ways that they enjoy while forbidding them to act in ways they fear.

This is not an exhaustive list and there are overlapping reasons. If you think of more or if you quibble with any of them, please comment. I also jotted down lists of "why people reject conservative religious paths", "why people come to liberal religions" and "why people come to Unitarian Universalism". I will blog on those lists another time.

mskittyssaloonandroadshow()blogspot()com/2008/01/why-people-choose-conservative.html

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
User Details are only visible to members.
I think people's reasoning for staying with ANY religion...liberal or conservative comes down to only one thing. It makes them feel good and gives them hope. Period.

No one religion can satisfy all needs of all people. We are too unique. If your religion doesn't make you feel good in your most inner reflective being and give you peace.... it isn't the religion for you. That's one reason I don't harbor ill towards any one religion.... they all have their place because each give people what they are looking for and fulfills their special needs.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
There is usually little objectivity or reason in one's religious observance.

However, how is this list different from conservative religious arrogance which says you will go to hell and burn in everlasting fire if you do not believe as I do? That you are somehow less of a person because you are not "saved?"

Jesus/Yahweh/Buddha/whomever save me from your followers...

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17352 posts)
Religion should never play a role in politics, period, end of story.

Jan

Jerome PA
Username hidden
(12070 posts)
Let me clarify that I did not write the original list. This is from an online blog written by a fruitcake named "Kitty".

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
I've been engaging the author about this "List" and told her to question her own motivations for even making such a list. I suggested that she was putting down one groups beliefs to rationalize her own. And that she was no better than the intolerant religious right wingers she slams in her blog. She was naturally bewildered my take on her list and insisted that her religious beliefs were founded in objectivity and reason. Whatever.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
what does your post have to do with liberal arrogance? in fact i have read it twice and i dont understand it all..

the beauty of religion is that all religious fundamentalist are athesist. they DON"T believe in the god of any other religion...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Why people choose conservative religious paths

I have thought about this for much of my life, certainly ever since I became a serious Unitarian Universalist back in the 1970s. For a long time, I assumed it was a lack of information or education that kept people loyal to very conservative theological paths. But as I've spent time in ministry, become acquainted with good people on a wide variety of religious paths, and examined my own reasons for leaving conservative religion, I've had to change my thinking.

Quite a few people whom I respect and love are devout members of conservative religious communities with theologies far different in many respects from my brand of liberal UU mostly-Christian thought. Many of them are well-educated and committed to serving others. Except for theology, they're not that different from me, though we diverge on some social issues.

As I sat in a local restaurant this morning, finishing my breakfast coffee, I started a list of the reasons I think people choose (or remain in) conservative religious paths. Here it is, in order of how they came to mind.

1. They were born into it and see no reason to leave. 2. They make a bargain with God during some crisis. 3. They marry into it and are devout to satisfy their mate. 4. They are willing to believe religious authority figures (pastor, priest, etc.) about doctrinal matters. 5. They stay because of family unity. 6. They are not very self-reflective or critical of doctrine. 7. They lack information or they reject the information they do get. 8. They want to belong to a popular religious path. 9. They reject liberal social values. 10. They are rebelling against parents. 11. They work at jobs that give them little or no time to reflect on religious doctrines. 12. They have distaste for the Other whom their religion considers sinful. 13. The foundational story of their religion is gripping and the consequences of diverging from its tenets are frightening. 14. They fear that the story is true and this keeps them from abandoning it. 15. Their religion allows them to act in ways that they enjoy while forbidding them to act in ways they fear.

This is not an exhaustive list and there are overlapping reasons. If you think of more or if you quibble with any of them, please comment. I also jotted down lists of "why people reject conservative religious paths", "why people come to liberal religions" and "why people come to Unitarian Universalism". I will blog on those lists another time.

mskittyssaloonandroadshow()blogspot()com/2008/01/why-people-choose-conservative.html

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 7 of 7 
TOPIC: The Height Of Liberal Religious Arrogance