The Day General Patraeus Betrayed Us : Swingers Discussion 2115581012
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsThe Day General Patraeus Betrayed Us
TOPIC: The Day General Patraeus Betrayed Us
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   12 to 21 of 171   End
User Details are only visible to members.
The President of the United States cannot know every possible thing about every person working under him. At such point as it's pertinent, and he knows, that's about all that matters.

Should Obama have known that his CIA chief was being investigated? It seems that as soon as a coherent story was assembled, he was informed.

This is non-news, trying to second-guess the timing of ultra-sensitive information transfer.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Then why has he been saying he didn't know.

Username hidden
(982 posts)
And he was told.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
outdoors, i still belive he should have been told that his top spy and top generals' private lives where about to hit the fan.

Username hidden
(982 posts)
"It is clear Obama does not have control of the people underneath him, or there would be no media fiasco."

Well, yeah. How could Obama control everyone's sex life and etc.? Why would he want to? The media aren't exactly in the chain of command, in any case.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I know it doesn't work quite like that. I just meant that sometimes it comes down to sifting through immense piles of crap for what might or might not still be there.

I drew the comparison to highlight the "in principle, it's almost always findable - somewhere" - IF you're willing to put in enough work to find it.

But yes, I see your point.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
VA:

It doesn't quite work like that.

Electronic data degrades over time and with the number of times it is copied... Unless it is formated in the lossless formate. An easy example is the Jpeg vs Tiff format for photos. The Jpeg is used for lossy photos, or photos which degrade based upon how many times they are copied and recopied. (photo copy a copied photo, then use the copy to photo copy another copy, rinse repeat) While the Tiff file formate will not degrade.

The difference and the reason most websites won't allow a tiff file to be used is that it is almost three to four times larger than the jpeg formate.

Working with photo shop, I have created photos which are over 1gb tiff... but only 100 mb jpeg. Granted these were exceptionally large files, but for what I needed to do, I needed to make them so large. Then when I archived the file to my external drive, I wanted to ensure that I had a lasting copy.

An email doesn't keep forever, the drives are written over many times and the longer they are used without that file being accessed, the more likely it is that that file will either degrade or simply be erased. Time is good for you to hide such files... but the risk that someone has a program that can piece the degraded file back together is always there... But every day becomes less and less likely.

This is one concern for personal information security. How many of us go online and pay a bill? Use a bank's website? That bank and the middle men have aging computer servers which they may simply erease and sell... that data can be mined and possibly recovered if the drives weren't purged correctly.

This is why I physically destroy any hard drive, Burned CD, or thumb drive that I throw out. (Use of my fathers metal cutting saw, drills and welding torch)

When I go camping, I use old tax records and other shredded paper which had our personal information on them to start the fire and we do not come home until all the stored paper is destroyed. (the next morning, while cooking eggs I ensure that the fire consumed all the paper by digging in the pit for unburned paper, but gasoline typically does the trick very nicely.)

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6878 posts)
As for what is realistic about digging up an old email: That's another matter.

If I take a coin and scratch my initials on it, wrap it in duct tape, and throw it out with the trash, and then wonder if in 10 years I can go find it: the answer, in principle, is yes. With enough work, I can find out which truck picked it up, which dump it went to and when, and then (probably) what area of the landfill it went to. Then, it's a matter of mustering enough manpower to sift through all the crap looking for it.

In principle, absolutely the coin can be found, and probably any email too. In practice, that is driven largely by how much work you're willing to expend looking for it.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
Fjep:

The FBI investigates a great many important people such as the director of the CIA on a daily bases... This lack of privacy is simply part of the job and if the president was to be made aware of every little thing under him... he wouldn't be able to do anything other than read what the ten or so agencies who investigate each other are investigating and why they are investigating them.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6878 posts)
LqqK:

""One should always assume that anything released into the ether is public and can be retrieved."

I completely agree. What I would like to know is exactly how."

To go into more depth than what VA has correctly explained, everything that a computer sees is recorded on the hard drive in some manner. This is because the sequence of 1's and 0's must be stored, processed and then sent to its destination.

This is what causes lag and in some cases corruption of signals which result in the message becoming corrupted. Bottom line is, every new computer the data touches, is a recording of that data and everything you send or receive has touched no less than two computers or as many a X computers. (X being every server, switch or other routing computer or process.)

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6878 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   12 to 21 of 171   End
TOPIC: The Day General Patraeus Betrayed Us