Swift Boat Donor name Ambassador to Belgium : Swingers Discussion 76581101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSwift Boat Donor name Ambassador to Belgium
TOPIC: Swift Boat Donor name Ambassador to Belgium
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
President Bush named Republican fundraiser Sam Fox as U.S. ambassador to Belgium on Wednesday.

Fox, a 77-year-old St. Louis businessman, gave $50,000 to the Swift Boat group.

Don't know this guy.... His qualifications to be Ambassador are???

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
User Details are only visible to members.
how times have changed, lol

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I believe he was and that Franklin negotiated the agreement that eventually led to the French helping in our battle for independence. I believe both he and Thomas Jefferson served in that position and if memory serves we still used the term Minister to France.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
wasn't ben franklin the ambassador to france.... back in the days when ambassadors actually had some real political pull so to speak..

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Dzzy.

I think you are correct, that they were intended to be used infrequently. I would suggest in the cases of a death or if an ambassador stepped down unexpected, or was removed for some reason, and those things coincided with the Senate being on break, entering a break or not in session. However, it seems all modern or most 20th Century Presidents have used it as a partisan political tool.

In my opinion, it is wrong and I don't like it, but it cannot be blamed on one party.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
well i know the purpose of recess appointments but i thought the history was that they were used infrequently up until most recent times.. when things have become more politicized

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Dzz wrote:

"i certainly know the history of appointments of ambassadors... i started the thread because i thought it was......interesting... " ------------------------------------------------------------- I knew that as a lawyer you knew the history of same.....but earlier you posted and asked me if I knew the historical purpose of recess appointments. Did I miss what you were looking for?

....and yes, I agree with you a most interesting topic.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Perfect,

I concur. Reagan had a Democrat dominated congress throughout all his 8 years. Clinton had a Republican dominated Congress 6 of his 8 years and it looks like Bush will be in Clinton's ball park by the time his term is up at the end of '08.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
wnt2eatennow,

Good info thanks. I am surprised that uswhitehouse dot gov/president or usa dot gov does not have those statistics. However according to uscongress dot gov as of March 2007 President Bush has 113 recess appointments. I believe this new one makes it 114, unless there are others between congress' last report and now.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
i certainly know the history of appointments of ambassadors... i started the thread because i thought it was......interesting...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Dzzy,

The Constitution establishes that the President “shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and counsels, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for and which shall be established by law.” The Constitution provides further that “the President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the end of their next Session.”.

The Recess Appointments Clause was adopted by the Constitutional Convention without dissent and without debate regarding the intent and scope of its terms. In Federalist No. 67, Alexander Hamilton refers to the recess appointment power as “nothing more than a supplement...for the purpose of establishing an auxiliary method of appointment, in cases to which the general method was inadequate.” During the ratification debates in Pennsylvania, Thomas McKean (1734-1817) , a lawyer and one of the original signer’s of the Declaration of Independence noted with approval the sharing of the appointive power with the Senate and stated that the Senate need not “be under any necessity of sitting constantly, as has been alleged, for there is an express provision made to enable the President to fill up all vacancies that may happen during their recess; the commissions, to expire at the end of the next session.”

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
TOPIC: Swift Boat Donor name Ambassador to Belgium