Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Sweet
TOPIC: Sweet
Created by: Seduction4Two
Original Starting post for this thread:
National Security Letter Gag Orders Struck Down As Unconstitutional

NEW YORK -- Concluding that they suffer from "significant constitutional infirmities," a federal district court judge in San Francisco on Thursday struck down sections of federal law that allow the FBI to warrantlessly obtain private information under a gag order in the name of national security.

But U.S. District Judge Susan Illston temporarily put her order on hold to allow the government to appeal her decision, recognizing that a higher court should first be able to "consider the weighty questions of national security and First Amendment rights" at issue in the case. The authority of national security letters, government orders to communications providers to reveal user information, was vastly expanded in the post-9/11 Patriot Act. The federal government has made wide use of them in the name of the fight against terrorism.

In May 2011, the non-profit Electronic Frontier Foundation brought a lawsuit against the national security letter statutes on behalf of an unnamed telephone service provider, arguing that placing the company under a gag order violated its First Amendment rights. EFF also argued that the 2005 renewal of the Patriot Act provided too little judicial review for the secret letters.

Illston's ruling vindicated EFF's arguments.

"Basically the court declared the national security letter statute unconstitutional on the grounds that it improperly gagged the recipients," said Cindy Cohn, the group's legal director. "Nothing changes in the short term, but it's a very strong ruling."

Because the government still has 90 days to appeal the ruling while it is on hold, Cohn is still not able to reveal her client's name. Reporting by The Wall Street Journal has suggested, however, that it may be the progressive phone provider Credo.

"The recipients of the national security letters, there's only been a couple that have been willing to challenge it," Cohn said. "It's sad for me that my client can't talk about this, because I think they're the heroes."

Dean Boyd, a spokesman for the national security division of the U.S. Department of Justice, said “we’re reviewing the judge’s order.”

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York had previously invalidated some aspects of the national security letters statutes, but the California court found that it should have struck down the relevant statutes wholesale.

National security letters have been under renewed scrutiny recently. Earlier this month, Google revealed that the federal government has asked for data on thousands of its users over the past four years.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 23   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Outdoors. The ADL is to the JDL what the populist party is to aryan nations. Same hate just dressed up and sugar coated

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
No really Coekey. You caught me in a typo. Do the happy dance and tell the other tards you really showed the smart kids a tingg or two Like I said. Enjoy your bone

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
So, not a single on topic post. Just letting the trolls hijack the topic.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17263 posts)
"The Jewish Defense League (JDL) is a Jewish militant organization whose stated goal is to "protect Jews from antisemitism by whatever means necessary"."

"The mission of the ADL is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment for all citizens alike." =========

One is for stopping defamation of the Jewish people, and the other is protecting Jews from antisemitism.

I am enlightened.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
The NHL is a hate group. If you challenge me on it and prove that I am wrong, I'll just call you retarded. It's the way I roll.

zzzz.... you're getting really boring here.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20536 posts)
I typed ADL instead of JDL There's your bone Corkey Enjoy

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
Normal for PP

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
"I simply typed ADL instead of JDL"

Twice. And didn't notice me typing it perhaps 8 times.

"The JDL is a hate group recognized by the SPLC"

So? You didn't mention them. JPL is a NASA branch, one letter off of JDL. I wasn't aware that having two letters in common meant anything at all. Oh wait that's because it doesn't.

"the ADL is a hate group as well but don't make the list."

Says no one except you and a laundry list of people I'm pretty sure you'd rather not be associated with.

"Got it now?"

Got it. You typed something else, sent me on a wild goose chase while ridiculing me for challenging your incorrect statements, and then act aloof when your shit falls apart.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20536 posts)
I simply typed ADL instead of JDL The JDL is a hate group recognized by the SPLC , the ADL is a hate group as well but don't make the list. Got it now?

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
"Either look at their site again or google " adl is a hate group" and take your pick from thousands of links. "

Did you actually try this yourself, or did you just assume it would say what you wanted it to?

But as if my computer wasn't already being watched for searching for fun things like triazidomethane, add linking to stormfront and the like. Oh well. The DOJ loves me too much to bother me.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20536 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 23   End
TOPIC: Sweet