Survival on minimum wage : Swingers Discussion 2182621061
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSurvival on minimum wage
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   61 to 70 of 117   End
User Details are only visible to members.
" ... air and water that is cleaner than it was at the start of the industrial revolution,.."

Not that it undermines your basic premise, but how can this be true? Some European rivers were more polluted in the 1700's? American rivers surely weren't. And the air everywhere but in some cities was better back then.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I support minimum wage laws and feel that the rate should be indexed to the CPI so we do not have to go through the same old arguments year after year.

Robert, you are such a "negative Nancy." Sure, the generation before you has left you some debt and plenty of problems, no different than any other generation of the past. But consider this:

The generations before you have also left a national highway system, a national park system, satellites in space, an internet on the ground, the highest life expectancy in human history, cheap air travel, abundant food supplies, air and water that is cleaner than it was at the start of the industrial revolution, a strong military, vast networks of schools, hospitals, recreation centers, libraries, museums.

That is what your ancestors left you, Robert. Were you entitled to it? Did you earn it? Was it not enough for you?

I find it a satisfying source of pride to help create things that will improve the lives of my children and their peers. It would hurt me if they were as ungrateful as you are about all that's been put in place for their benefit.

Amherst Canada
Username hidden
(2373 posts)
Robert you stated that what we are paying into SS is for my parents generation. So how are we not leaving anything behind for yours. Now get your ass out there and work and start paying for our SS. It will be your kids that are paying for yours. But I really hope you don't breed. We don't need anymore of your kind born with their hand out looking for someone else to take care of them.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
NK:

"in 66 you could buy a new mustang for 2500 dollars.minimum wage was 1.15. today a new mustang cost 25,000 dollars.minimum wage is 7.50.where did anybody benefit.....BS"

Nobody is supposed to be able to buy a new car on minimum wage."

You forget, Big is one of the largest entitlement whores on these forums. He demands that he be paid what he thinks is owed to him, and that everyone else ought to be forced to work harder.

I haven't once asked for something any man isn't due... A living wage. I don't demand a wage that allows me to buy a new car... I am happy with my 15 year old Toyota Camry. I will be fueling it come Monday... First time sense February 1st.

No, these guys feel that they are entitled to things... They even think that they are entitled to SS, even though that they will leave nothing in the SS for my generation or those after mine... Because they squandered this nations wealth on useless wars sense Korea.

I am sorry, but if they believe cuts ought to be made... Then lets make them against ourselves. The generations in power now, so that the generations rising to power tomorrow will have a brighter future.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
That's all fine and dandy, but like I said when large numbers of them become unemployed instead of making minimum wage, what then?

And yes, while it causes some wages to up, it does cause unemployment and damage business and thus the economy. This is well accepted among economists. The following is cut-and-paste:

If a higher minimum wage increases the wage rates of unskilled workers above the level that would be established by market forces, the quantity of unskilled workers employed will fall. The minimum wage will price the services of the least productive (and therefore lowest-wage) workers out of the market. The direct results of minimum wage legislation are clearly mixed. Some workers, most likely those whose previous wages were closest to the minimum, will enjoy higher wages. This is known as the "ripple effect". The ripple effect shows that when you increase the minimum wage the wages of all others will consequently increase due the need for relativity. Others, particularly those with the lowest prelegislation wage rates, will be unable to find work. They will be pushed into the ranks of the unemployed or out of the labor force. Some argue that by increasing the federal minimum wage, however, the economy will be adversely affected due to small businesses not being able to keep up with the need to subsequently increase all workers wages.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19790 posts)
in 66 you could buy a new mustang for 2500 dollars.minimum wage was 1.15. today a new mustang cost 25,000 dollars.minimum wage is 7.50.where did anybody benefit.....BS"

Nobody is supposed to be able to buy a new car on minimum wage.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2787 posts)
Let's not forget that politicians receive a cost of living adjustment. They even vote themselves a raise.

If they can get raises then the minimum wage should be adjusted accordingly. So should pay for the military.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2787 posts)
The 1968 minimum wage of $1.60, adjusted for inflation, would be about $11 now.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
in 66 you could buy a new mustang for 2500 dollars.minimum wage was 1.15. today a new mustang cost 25,000 dollars.minimum wage is 7.50.where did anybody benefit.....BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
And what have some of these business's learned? They can't cheap their way out of what the consumers want.

They tried to offset cost by shipping jobs overseas. Guess what? Many of those same companies are bringing the jobs back to the us. They thought it would be cheaper to have people work at home. Guess what? Yahoo is doing away with that. Best Buy is doing away with it also.

A extra few dollars a week may not mean much to a high roller like yourself but to people struggling to make it anything is better than it is now...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2787 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   61 to 70 of 117   End
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage