Survival on minimum wage : Swingers Discussion 2182621041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSurvival on minimum wage
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   41 to 50 of 117   End
User Details are only visible to members.
VB, try not to take this too personally, but we've seen this logic before.

Freeing the slaves puts you at an immediate advantage over slaveowners. It's government fucking with business and the losers are the slaves themselves and the businesses that own them, or the consumers, or (probably) all of the above.

The slave caste are that way for a reason - they bring next to nothing in terms of skills or performance. If they have been raised into slavery, I fail to see how freeing them will suddenly make them better workers and increase the quality of what they're doing. Did freeing the slaves turn Massachusetts into Shangri-La? Hardly.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Jeez the guy can't even paint without excuses...

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19804 posts)
"canadian homles guy"

Huh?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19804 posts)
robert waaa waaaaa.get up off your knees.at 21 I was making minimum wage.at 25 I was making 5 times minimun wage.your librial goverment did not give me a choice about ss,it demanded I pay in.and I paid in for 53 years.how long have you paid in.it not how much you make,it how you spend it, or save.you are 27 years old and you are making minimun wage.well cry me a fucking river.O one other thing I only finshed the ninth grade.and a nother thing I only worked the kind of jobs that I wanted.I alway got paid good,why,because I worked hard, first there,last to leave.I never had a boss hover over me because they knew I would do the job that needed to be done.I didn't set around crying I wasn't getting paid enough.grow up wimp........BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
VA:

I don't know about where you live, but here in Hazleton... A painter doesn't make much. They are also expected to be the carpenter who can fix the walls inside the house, doors and generally take a hallowed out room and turn it into something that can be sold.

So you are needing work permits, dumpsters (disposing of the old walls and wood/windows, doors) Possibly some plumbing and electrical. Then you have to have contacts to get inspectors to check these things.

Construction around here sucks, because the clients expect you to be that canadian homles guy... Oh and do it on minimum wage.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
Or a person can sell hamburgers and chili for a premium, pay the staff less than minimum wage, and they can make money from tips. All the while making fun of the patrons, and making insulting dunce caps for them, with insults written on the hats.

Sounds crazy huhhh? Ever been to Dick's in Myrtle Beach?

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19410 posts)
LOL that was amusing.

But you *do* see where I'm going - raising the minimum wage puts you at an immediate advantage over minimum-wage paying competitors. It's government fucking with business and the losers are the minimum wage workers themselves and the businesses that hire them, or the consumers, or (probably) all of the above.

The "minimum wage forever" crowd are that way for a reason - they bring next to nothing in terms of skills or performance. If they are making minimum wage forever I fail to see how raising the minimum wage will suddenly make them better employees and increase the quality of what they're doing. Did raising the minimum wage to $7.25 turn McDonald's into Olive Garden? Hardly. They are the same jokers in there they were 5 years ago, with some college-educated desperate middle-agers thrown in for good measure.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19804 posts)
As soon as my business starts to surge, from the lessened cost difference, I'll naturally raise the cost of my burgers. Both my employees and I will get more money. I just don't have the space to put out more burgers. The workers do enough as it is, and adding more would just make it crowded in the kitchen.

Rather than sacrifice the ambience and the leisurely way we lovingly pat and knead each and every succulent blob of meat, we'll see what the market can bear. If we've overpriced our burgers, we'll have deals and incentives, or just drop the price back a bit.

Because my competitors now have better paid workers, they'll provide better service. Less motivation to go looking for a better paid job, so there's more continuity, more experience, and more loyalty everywhere.

It's just a win win win situation when people are better treated and less exploited.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Part 2

VABurger has a choice - either put everyone at $9 an hour (like SedBurger), or raise the $9 an hour crowd by $1.75 to pass the increase along to them, putting them at $10.75 an hour. If they go with the former, employee wages go up by 10.8% to $1.56 per burger, bringing employee-related costs up to $1.76, and the cost per burger up to $2.11. So VA can still make $78,000 a year, which he might choose to do. Now he can out-price SedBurger and win market share, selling more burgers. If they go with the latter, employee wages go up by 21.5%, bringing the cost of a burger to $2.31 per burger, the same as Sed. So I can either raise my prices like her, or eat the money. At the very least, however, I have some flexibility in what I can do, and I can at least for a short time beat Sed in the market by letting everyone sit at $9.

So OutdoorBurger has kind of the same choices as VABurger, but has ever more flexibility. OutdoorBurger could simply do nothing, and continue to make $1 per burger, keeping the $100,000 income. Of course since the price of SedBurgers and VABurgers probably went up, OutdoorBurger's premium product now seems even more attractive, and Outdoor has a major advantage here - he can keep prices where they are and still beat the tar out of his competitors, and perhaps even do better, since the premium in price has been reduced. If Outdoor chooses to bump his pay scales by $1.75 without raising prices, his cost of making a burger goes from $3 to $3.26, and he still makes $74k a year on 100,000 burgers.

So to keep their incomes at $100,000 a year without doing more than required by law, Sed has to raise her price 31 cents (12.4%), while VA has to raise his by 4.4%, and Outdoor has to do nothing.

OutdoorBurger has been placed at a major advantage by this, particularly over SedBurger. If one of them goes out of business over this, it'll be SedBurger for sure.

This has played out in recent years particularly with certain chains that tend to pay a little higher such as Chick-Fil-A which has been succeeding without much in the way of price increases, reducing the spread in price between them and their competitors, and driving more business their way.

So ultimately the jobs most seriously threatened by minimum wage increases are those which the minimum wage increase is purported to help.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19804 posts)
Part 1

To some extent, that is true. However, that's only true insofar as that all similar businesses have similar wage, cost and profit structures.

Three businesses: SedBurger, VABurger, and OutdoorBurger (which is probably the best name). For simplicity's sake, we'll have just one product. RobertBurger went out of business years ago for reasons we will not discuss here.

SedBurger pays their employees minimum wage ($7.25) across the board. It costs them $2 to make a Sedburger that they sell for $2.50. Employee-related costs (wages, benefits etc) make up $1.50 of the $2, of which $1.30 is wages. Sed nets $100,000 a year from her restaurant by selling 200,000 SedBurgers a year.

VABurger pays their employees minimum to start but gradually raises them through merit and experience, although he never pays all THAT much - after a couple of years you might be making $9 an hour. To make it easy, we'll have just two kinds of employees - $7.25 (50%) and $9 (50%). It costs them $2 to make a VABurger that they sell for $2.50. Employee-related costs make up $1.65 of the $2 of which $1.45 is wages. VA nets $100,000 a year from his restaurant by selling 200,000 VABurgers.

OutdoorBurger is a bit more of a premium product and pays their employees on a somewhat higher scale. To make it easy, let's assume it works sorta like VABurger but the two tiers are $9 to start and $12 for more experienced staff. It costs them $3 to make them yummy OutdoorBurgers that they sell for $4 (because they're better). Employee-related costs make up $2.10 of the $3, of which $1.80 is wages. Outdoor nets $100,000 a year from his restaurant by selling 100,000 OutdoorBurgers.

Tomorrow, the minimum wage goes to $9 (a 124% increase). This creates the following realities:

SedBurger pays their employees exactly minimum wage ($9). Wages now cost $1.61 per burger, and the employee costs now are $1.81 per burger. The cost per burger is now $2.31. If the price stays at $2.50, those 200,000 Sedburgers only will make Sed $38,000. So she'll either have to eat it, or raise the price of the burger to $2.81 to continue to make the same profit margin on 200,000 burgers (assuming she'll still sell 200,000 at their increased price).

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19804 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   41 to 50 of 117   End
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage