Survival on minimum wage : Swingers Discussion 2182621021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSurvival on minimum wage
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 117   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Sedu:

My story doesn't change, it is that you do not retain the information and arrange it as a time table. So to make this easy for you, read.

1982-1988: my father first enlisted in the army reserves and then transfers to the air force.

1988-1999: father works for three factories, two of which close and one down sizes, resulting in his loss of employment. (the third factory was the one he became a union president in)

1998: my father joins the army guard. The following year he becomes employed as a federal worker.

This effectively brings us to today.

As for why I do not attend college right now? I have been taking math classes... Can't do the math for some reason... But the concepts of science are easy to understand. Practical uses Vrs scientific understanding.

So until I have an acceptable algrabra II grade of a 3.8 or better... I would be wasting my money on any career. Basic math like algrabra II college level is one of the corner stones of any formal education in any rewarding careers.

If you aren't able to cut it in the math, you can't work at the expected speeds of the career and no one would want to hire a under performing student.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6896 posts)
I'm trying to understand something. After Robert told his confusing tales about his family (which kept changing with each post), it seems that his dad is now employed and their pretty much done with their debt (or so he claimed). He works night.

Why is he unable to go to a community college and get his degree? Community college gives you a fairly decent education, for around 5K a semester. Certainly he can secure a student loan.

Can't wait to hear new excuses with new twists about his life.

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16497 posts)
Robert, most JOBS will provide you these things if you work for them. Truck drivers provide very well for their families and the companies pay good benefits and have retirement. Automotive repair also pays well and the companies provide benefits and retirement plans. UPS drivers make good money and have good benefits plus retirement. Now these are jobs you must work at and may be hard work at times. These are just a few JOBS that provide a good standard of living.But once again you must be willing to break a sweat and maybe get a little dirt under your finger nails.They do not require a college degree to perform a very much needed service to the people of this country you included.

Berryville VA

Username hidden
(1750 posts)
Vacp:

In short.

Job= what you do before a career.

A career defines who you are and who you what to become.

For me, a career must proved the following.

A home (for wife, three kids and self) which I own or could own.

A new car. (not talking six digit cars)

A stable home environment.

Medical. (all aspects there in and for the entire family)

My advancement through the career must also advance others, as this is in part what civilized human societies ought to do. Rise or fall together.

Allow me to be taxed at a rate which provides social welfare for my fellow citizens that the wealthy fail to provide a meaningful job to)

The career must be able to inspire any children I might have, to become better people than our current generation. (both in promoting global peace and prosperity.)

Said career shalt never ask or imply wrong doing or for me to violate my code of ethics, to include moral beliefs.

This isn't asking much, we use to have such careers which were obtainable, we no longer possess such careers for a multitude of reasons... Primarily due to the loss of good paying jobs, which had the negative effect of killing good careers.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6896 posts)
So Robert how do you define a Career vs. Job?

Berryville VA

Username hidden
(1750 posts)
Mari:

Minimum wage jobs dont have promotable positions.

Managers or even assistant managers require college classes as you need managerial skills and the written proff that you come to the position trained.

More over, factories, mines, and even security companies are promotion by attrition. Someone typically needs to be fired or die before a spot opens. Again, these spots require college degrees.

Without a formal education in such areas, the HR department will ignore any recommendations from the store level manager. Why? Because that is what the HR department's job is. To higher only qualified people for the job.

Far too often, store level managers become too familiar with their lowers and do exactly what you just discribed, promote from within, unqualified persons.

Today's job market demands that you be both actual and formal job ready on the day of applying for the position. HR's job is to protect the company from law suits by people feeling favortisim or other none official qulification means.

This is why the assistant managers who work at the giant food store when I was 18, still work the same job. They had at best a 2 year degree or were put into the dead end assistant manager position without a college degree. (in truth they have next to no power... But take the blame for everything)

This isn't just this store, if you paid attention to other stores like K-mart, wal-mart and even the smaller branch stores, you will see the same thing.

Only college degrees get you a corporate job, a job which can be called a career.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6896 posts)
If you do better work and still you don't get an advancement, you know that you are in the wrong company.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
So Robert, you do not like your wage so you do not work your hardest.

The other guy in this position does not like his wage, so he works harder in order to be noticed and get a promotion.

Sure, some employers are slow to notice the difference between your two, but eventually the other guy will go further than you will. The more time you spend arguing against this obvious point, the less time you are devoting to advancing yourself.

Amherst Canada

Username hidden
(2285 posts)
Fjep:

1) I am not too lazy to get an education, I am too poor to afford the truition for college amd thus start a new career.

I am similuay not too lazy for work. When a man offers me a real paycheck, he gets real work. Until I am employed at a real wage, one which grows the economy, I will not bust my balls... As no one else should either.

Either this economy will burn it self down under the weight of the minimum wage employee and the welfare state you create by reducing the worth of other peoples work, or you can change fundamentally and force your fellow businessmen to pay a real wage with punishing taxation to any and all employees paying adults minimum wage.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6896 posts)
Bobby,

I'm giving this guy $3,600 to paint most of my house including all drywall touchups and trim (which is actually most of the work). He's currently on day 6 of work and he'll probably finish in one more. The materials likely cost him $700-$1000 so he's making $2,600 to $2,900 for seven working days. 8 actually because he had a buddy help him for 2 half days. He's working around 8.5-9 hours a day, so we're looking at around 70 hours so he's making around $35-40 an hour.

He has one other "job" - powerwashing decks and houses, but most of his work is painting.

Cue the endless supply of reasons...

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17673 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 117   End
TOPIC: Survival on minimum wage