Some Marines will leave if women in combat : Swingers Discussion 2162781031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSome Marines will leave if women in combat
TOPIC: Some Marines will leave if women in combat
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
Start   31 to 39 of 39 
User Details are only visible to members.
"As long as they do not degrade the physical standards to get into the SOF combat units this will take care of itself."

That I agree with.

I bring up this example only because I was familiar with it and remember when it was in the news:

Canada, like the US, has a major problem with forest fires. Their forest fire fighting crews are among the world's best. They are elites of fitness and training. They have to be.

In the late 1990s, a case was brought to the Supreme Court of Canada in which a female cited discriminatory standards in having lost her job for not meeting the fitness requirements. The specific element she failed was having to be able to run 2.5 km in 11 minutes (just over 1.5 miles @ 7 minutes per mile). This test is designed to establish a lower limit for aerobic capacity.

In spite of four attempts over a period of time, she still could not complete it, and lost her job. The Supreme Court decided with her, and ordered the fitness standards be relaxed so as to be more accommodating to women.

Of course, this had the unintended effect of accommodating less capable men, too. The elite standards which kept their forest fire crews at a level among the world's best (and already included numerous women) were dismantled, and they are not what they once were.

While 11 minutes for 1.5 miles is certainly good, it's hardly impossible for a woman of an excellent fitness level. And an excellent fitness level is what you need for the job. Or rather, what you needed.

Anyway - my point is if this doesn't alter the incredible degree of respect the US Marines have by wussing up their standards to accommodate some fatass or whimpy chick who can't do the job - I'm all for it.

Columbia SC
Username hidden
(19130 posts)
As long as they do not degrade the physical standards to get into the SOF combat units this will take care of itself. There has already been women try to make it into and through both SEAL and Ranger training. Each and every one, each and every time, failed quickly. Let them try out and even have a go at the training but do not drop the standard and all of this will take care of itself.

Red Bluff CA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I actually have many years of experience in basic training. I do have just short of 10 years active duty. But for twenty + years I was in a reserve unit that specialized in basic training. Every year during our summer active duty for training we would go to a basic training base and train with the active duty folks. I saw female basic trainees. I also remember a quote from a Commandant of the Marine Corps. Any woman who can keep up with a man is a freak. The Marines do not recruit freaks. Mostly due to diet choices American women have an extremely weak bone structure. Women/girls tend to drink soda vs milk for example. Candy not meat and no way do they eat vegetables and fruit. I have seen them in mess halls when they first come in. Some of them start crying because they cannot get candy and such to eat. (Some male trainies want a hamburger and fries, breakfast lunch and dinner) All that is offered is a well balanced diet. Buy the time a female basic trainee is in about the 5th week of basic training she is on some sort of profile. Mostly due to her bones in her feet falling apart. Please belive me. Most of them arrive at training sites wearing casts, have canes or are even on crutches. But they are "husked" through. Now I do belive there are women who can and should be up front. Pacification of villages. Getting a woman on woman's level. But out and out in regular combat units. No way. Your sons will be slowed to the speed of the slowest woman.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
My husband has commanded female troops, he says well trained troops leave gender like age at the door.

Keller TX
Username hidden
(555 posts)
So do you think it would be a major issue? Males feeling they have to bethe females protector?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2668 posts)
What most folks missed was that even with these MOS's open to female troops, the Sec Def stated women would have to meet the same standards as the male counter parts do.

Keller TX
Username hidden
(555 posts)
All change comes with growing pains...

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7359 posts)
Would this be the same talk as when we intergrated to miltary to one force and NOT White and Colored Units?

Keller TX
Username hidden
(555 posts)
SAN DIEGO — A Marine Corps survey found that about 17 percent of male Marines would likely leave the Corps if women move into combat positions. The number jumped to 22 percent if women were assigned involuntarily to those jobs, according to the survey.

Male Marines also listed among their top concerns fears about being falsely accused of sexual harassment or assault, fraternization or some Marines getting preferential treatment. They also worried women would be limited because of pregnancy or personal issues that could affect the unit before they are sent to the battlefield.

Results of the survey of 53,000 Marines — both male and female — were released to The Associated Press on Friday.

The survey was conducted last summer and the results were given to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta before he opened thousands of combat jobs to female service members last week.

Both sexes surveyed mentioned intimate relationships between Marines and feeling obligated to protect female Marines among their top five concerns about allowing women into ground combat jobs.

Women Marines listed among their top three concerns enemies targeting women as POWs, the risk of sexual harassment or assault and hygiene requirements, according to the results which did not given specifics.

The survey asked female Marines if they would feel pressured to suppress their femininity, something equal rights activists found offensive.

About 4 percent of female Marines surveyed said they would consider leaving if the ban was lifted. Even more would drop out if women were put into those positions involuntarily, with about 17 percent of female respondents expressing they would cut their careers short under those circumstances.

About 31 percent of female respondents say they would be interested in moving into a combat position.

The commandant of the Marine Corps said the infantry side of the most male of all military branches is skeptical about how women will perform in their units, and some positions may end up closed again if too few females meet the physically demanding standards of combat.

The Marine Corps is the most male of all the military branches. About 7 percent of Marines are female compared to about 14 percent overall for the armed forces.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2668 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
Start   31 to 39 of 39 
TOPIC: Some Marines will leave if women in combat