Soilless farming : Swingers Discussion 21659210101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSoilless farming
TOPIC: Soilless farming
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Start   101 to 110 of 171   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Look at where you get your water from.

The great lakes are drying up... They feed water for not only NYC but much of the areas around the Mississippi. Hell the Mississippi is shrinking last I heard.

You might have water for the next fifty years; but what about after that?

The larger the system, the larger the problem, the longer you must plan out the solution or you will have massive failures across the entire system.

Please stop being so short sighted that you won't look at the data. Water sources are drying up, the ones further north affect everything south.

Did you know that one of the problems with the great plains is that the land is without major rivers and lakes? Where do the middle states get their water? Where will they get their water as the desert continues to grow at an increased rate?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Robert does not have a clue, We live in farm country millions of acres of farm land, These farms have been in the same familys for years and will continue to be, Water is accessible in every state, Weather is a factor but farming down here i garantee you will never change...

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4836 posts)
Again Bobby- You need to look at more than what you read.

In NY Farmers are warned not for fear of using up the water but for the poor design of thier water sources. to prevent contamination, sinc e as an example NYC will not spend the money to utilze desalinization plants.

Waste of water a natural resource is something the likes of you have no idea about.

just because you look at a hose and see an neverending supply of water, most farmers if not all know how precious a comodity it is. thus are prepared to conserve such.

As far as california I cannot speak for thier water sources , but then again there are other areas capable or producing the product that is produced in those areas, just not as long a growing season, but a stron growing season just the same.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Looking:

Those springs and water ways are deminishing. The biggest complaints I hear from conservatives is that the government won't let farmers drain lakes and ponds, because it'll kill the local wild life...

Guess what? That is destroying the Eco system to put farms where they ought not be. Yes, CA ought not have farms where the land isn't naturally fertile and more importantly wet enough.

More over we are on the verge of making soilless farming more efficient with GM plants. There is even some plants which are in development which are waterless.

ht tp://scienceline.or g/2007/12/env-heger-rice/

And yes, we are seeing global droughts, not localized droughts.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Bobby You have no clue, I have many relatives that operate Farms , that range in size from as small as 50 acres up to 1200 acres. The common denominator is government intrusion and regulation, and in some cases subsidies.....

You mentions water resources, Do you realize most farms ( in the northeast) tend to be built near or close to natural water supplies? I would worry more about City supply of water that that of a farmers.

you state this isn't the 1880's do you realize that many of the crops now grown exclusivly in california were at one time grown in NYS? from lettuce, celery,raddishes, carrots, potatos,cucumber, tomatos,garlic, onions, spinach,.... there was a time when it was cheaper to grom in the warmer climates, But are now beign produced in NY again( although not year round) . The reason many stopped producing many of the items such as lettuce, celery , tomatos, cucumbers ? Govt intrusion and subsidy to push $$ into the california markets.... I am speaking of only one region of NY, now take alook at other farming areas of NY, or even into NJ.

The govt intrusion keeps people hungry by design.....

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Looking:

If farmers were allowed to farm for the foods which bring the most profits they will race through water resources and the price of those foods will fall through the floor.

Food isn't something that you can leave to the free markets to stablize... There will be too many rippleing effects in the markets and mass hunger will be the end result.

This doesn't even account for the farmers who won survive the changes they must make rapidly...

The more complex the industry becomes, the more it must be controlled. We aren't in the 1800s where food is made locally, food from CA is necessary in PA and some can't be made here... And vise versa.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Bobby , Do you think People stop eating? There will always be a demand for food, to think that after everyone has been fed that the cost would bottom out is foolish, Yes prices may decrease , but then again all prices would adjust accordingly. The problem with the Govt involvement is they try to hard to control every aspect of it instead of letting afree market control it.

If the govt stopped controlling the prices they would go down across the board, and the small farmer WOULD be able to survive more easily

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Yes VA... My bad.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
I usually don't focus on typos, but WTF is a "debuckleof"?

Did you mean "debacle of"?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18794 posts)
looking:

The federal government pays farmers to not raise (insert type of crops) for many reasons... Namely supply and demand.

Sure hunger would be eliminated for a time... Then the price of the crop would drop so far, so fast that the farmer couldn't give the crop away.

Additionally, the farmers would use more water to grow more crops.... This would further deplete water reserves.

As a result, more small farmers would be out of a job and the entire farming industry would be in the hands of big business and all big business is in the hands of the banks...

As we have seen with this latest debuckleof the banks, that means the government.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Start   101 to 110 of 171   End
TOPIC: Soilless farming