Soilless farming : Swingers Discussion 2165921091
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSoilless farming
TOPIC: Soilless farming
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Start   91 to 100 of 171   End
User Details are only visible to members.
bobby , you really need to stop listening to the people from Gasland. Many of those who claim to have thier wells ruined by fracking have been debunked since the gas was there prior to the fracking. in fact the 1 family that claimed to have tainted water have been proven to be lying about thier claim when the EPA came back that There was NOTHING In thier water....

many of the wells that have positive tests for methane were from drilling the water wells som enear 100 years ago. as the gas veins were opened when the water wells were drilled.

Maybe if you Lived life instead of reading about it , you might be a bit more informed.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Looking:

Wells? Oh you mean those things the farmers near to the gas drillers can't use because the water is contaminated?

Yes, they might have some water left, but they too will dry up and fracking will increase the rate that farmers lose their water sources.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Fjep:

htt p://m.usatoday.co m/article/news/1896603

As to what you said about sea levels. The oceans and seas are rising because the poles are melting and not being replaced at a 1:1 ratio. While that doesn't happen year to year... For the last 5,000 we have had a more or less stable system.

It doesn't matter if the global problem is man made or not... That is a generational issue we must address at some point. For now we must address the immediate problem of water needs and conservation of water for food and natual environments.

Hyperponics and the recycl systems ghost spoke of are those means. If the cost is still too high, tough. Tighten the belt, pay ten USD for a big mac and another five forthr frys. We are running out of time for your greed and block headed ways.

At the end of the day, we city folk have the money, we control the purse strings and have the population centers. If you wish to keep up your ignorant ways of ignoring the problems science shows demonstrate are on their way, then I hope we city drewllwrs feed your people last.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Just:

Please tell Texas that they aren't without water... That the increased number of forest fires they are experiencing and drought is not because they do not get enough water.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7252 posts)
Water supplies depend more upon aquifers underground, Although in certain areas Such as the NYS watershed rely solely upon a series of dam's , levy's and resevoirs. for thier supply. yes that system can be affected greatly during such times, as can Areas with a weak undergroud aquifers.

Not all farms rely upon a watershed to provide for thier water, nor do they reply upon shallow wells. Where I grew up @ 1 out of 6 of the neighboring farms had Artiesian wells, although depth of each well varied from 100' down to 1100'. in addiction to a Drainage/ support system from a nearby river. It all comes down to Location Location Location...... Our ancestors were not as stupid as some people act today.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
Ghost, Knowing the Area you claim to live, and the power supplier and rates for businesses etc... you are Wrong.

I have family that do both, the cost are so high for such growing that the product reflects this. We are in the north east it is hard to get away from using the lights or electric and fule consumption to maintain the process year round. if as you claim is only growing during the normal growing season yes it could be cheaper, but that is then misinformation since you are leaving out part of the cost process.

Burlingham NY
Username hidden
(9680 posts)
As long as we have rain. Uhh we will have water,,,ain't that right Robert? Oh wait I'm sure you will say we will have rainless water? Lmao

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4836 posts)
Robert: Tell your voices to shut up. They no nothing about geography.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Robert please give us some cites on your claim. I have heard nothing about the great lakes turning brackish. You do know that happens when a body of water connected to the ocean if the level drops below the sea level? Same for the Mississippi River.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19237 posts)
I've tried to ignore this thread because of all the outdated information and attitudes on display here but at this point I just can't do that. Some points and updates of info for you all:

Hydroponics is FAR less costly than soil farming in many instances. Herbs, leafy greens and water intensive crops are being grown for far less net expense than could be done in any other way. Look around you and you will find thousands of businesses thriving of of hydroponic farming. As to pot growers, it's the LIGHTING that costs, not the hydroponics. Illicit growing by definition won't be occurring under a greenhouse as does 99% of legitimate hydroponic farming.

An ebb and flow system costs pennies to operate and the nutrients cost about the same as they would for traditional crops. The REAL savings comes in labor. No weeding. All planting done from a standing 'station' and then floated out in the bed. Harvesting is a reversal of the same low labor process. The vast majority of organic greens are produced this way today.

I have a commercial grower about 20 miles from me in a county that grows some of the best lettuces in on the east coast. His greenhouses are on the edge of his lettuce fields. He grows organic inside and the traditional pesticide laced product about 300' away.

He tells me that after 5 years doing this, his dirty little secret is that it actually costs him LESS to grow indoors.

I could go into all kinds of citations and sources for 'urban' hydroponic farming that have been quantitatively proven and even more advanced uses like aquaponics (the raising of fish in tanks adjacent to the hydroponic gardens in a symbiotic system. The waste of the fish feed s the garden, which filters the water for the fish-much like a natural tide marsh does) and point you to all kinds of organizations (some rather right leaning even) that consider this tech to be the possible only thing that will save mankind as our planets ecosystems become disrupted from climate change in the next few decades. If we cannot learn to produce our food in a sustainable and low impact way INDOORS, on a LOCAL basis, we will likely experience mass 'die backs' of population on every continent on earth.

I would think LEARNING how this tech works (as I've done these last few years, it's a hobby) would be far more productive than denigrating it based on decades old information.

Oh, BTW. IF you investigate aquaponics you might find that one of the foremost authorities on the subject (according to several peer reviewed studies) resides in Fishkill, NY.....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3498 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Start   91 to 100 of 171   End
TOPIC: Soilless farming