Serious Political Discussion About The Elections : Swingers Discussion 20881310391
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSerious Political Discussion About The Elections
TOPIC: Serious Political Discussion About The Elections
GoTo Page: Less ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Start   391 to 400 of 435   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Isn't the whole thrust of Romney's statements that these 47% are defective in some way, that they are less valuable, less smart, less deserving, and just overall not someone that you would want to have a drink with?

Not trying to be too snarky here, but wasn't that really what he was saying?

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17239 posts)
If you break it down to an individual. my brother who has MS, lives off of government payouts exclusively, Ss disability, military disability, and early retirement, and is a astute right wing christian conservative, who shakes in his boots every time there's talk of a government shutdown.

Though i haven't ask him yet how he feels about his man calling him a victim.

Username hidden
(1046 posts)
Everyone is deserving of their social security that they paid into. I can't help it if some didn't plan better for their retirement.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(16572 posts)
Oh, I agree.

This was just a starting point. Hopefully the model can be improved.

I'm sure the numbers exist, but on a quick google search...

Although I didn't know that Social Security recipients without other income are now undeserving poor...

Thanks for letting me know.

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17239 posts)
TBR- Kudos for the attempt , but you make too many assumptions. For example, how do you distinguish between those who live mostly on Social Security and those who have other substantial income?

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(16572 posts)
OK, here are some rough numbers for you...

In 2008, there were about 47 million old people on social security. About 70% of them voted, and 47% voted for Obama.

47,000,000*.70*.47=15.6 million

In 2008, there were about 39 million people that made less than $30K per year. About 45% of them voted, and 70% of them voted for Obama.

39,000,000*.45*.70=12.2 million

12.2+15.6=27.8 million

These two groups make up about 70%k of the mythical 47% that don't pay federal income tax. So (and this is where the math gets a bit fuzzy), lets assume that the remaining "slackers" are about at the average rates of the two groups above.

27.8 million*1.30=36.1 million

With me so far?

Obama received about 69.5 million votes in 2008. 36.1 million are from "slackers."

36.1/69.5=52% of Obama voters were slackers.

Using the appropriate numbers and percentages for McCain, you get 29.7 million "slacker" voters out of 59.9 million total voters...

29.7/59.9=49.5% of McCain voters were slackers.

Not much difference there...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17239 posts)
What Romney basically did was combine two different populations that share one characteristic, that is, their proportion of the population.

The only group of non taxpayers who have had their voting behavior studied with any certainty is people on social security.

Older voters were more likely to vote for McCain than Obama in the last election, by an 8 point margin. This group supports Romney by a 15 point margin.

Voter turnout in the 2008 election was 61.6% nationwide. 44.9% of voters that make less than 30K voted, and about 30% of them voted for McCain.

That's about the best breakdown I have seen.

Time for dinner...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17239 posts)
Fun, thank you for correcting me and helping me make my point at the same time.

Simply by being reasoned, a neo-Conservative can come across like a moderate to an independent like me.

Amherst Canada

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
""The Rep. nominees for US Senate "

ohhhhhhhhhhhh. hahaha!"

The humor is over my head. Are US Senators running for re election during presidential elections not down-ticket candidates anymore?

Belle Chasse LA

Username hidden
(10389 posts)
Maritimers, I wouldn't consider Kristol a moderate; he is a hardcore conservative. He, Brooks, Peggy Noonan, and the other conservative pundits who have criticized Romney's comments have one main difference with those who want Romney to double down: they are more intelligent, well-informed, and realistic.

Belle Chasse LA

Username hidden
(10389 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Start   391 to 400 of 435   End
TOPIC: Serious Political Discussion About The Elections