Serious Political Discussion About The Elections : Swingers Discussion 20881310361
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSerious Political Discussion About The Elections
TOPIC: Serious Political Discussion About The Elections
GoTo Page: Less ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Start   361 to 370 of 433   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Might be helpful to know which policies belong to which party, since most of them were either enacted or modified over the years with bipartisan support."

I don't think it's is necessary. I don't care who sold out, or what their political motivation was. I think it's enough to look at the ideals of the two parties.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16798 posts)
"I must have missed that cumbia moment."

No, you missed the word "most," followed by the list of programs that are already in effect.

Did you come here for a serious discussion, or to nitpick?

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10774 posts)
Might be helpful to know which policies belong to which party, since most of them were either enacted or modified over the years with bipartisan support.

Obama care? was Bipartisan? I must have missed that cumbia moment.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
"Can we all agree that Democratic policies entice, or lure more people to be lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?"

Might be helpful to know which policies belong to which party, since most of them were either enacted or modified over the years with bipartisan support. And all entitlement programs are not the same; some like SS are social insurance paid for by their beneficiaries. Others, like the EITC, are designed to (and do) help people move from welfare to work.

Which of the following entitlements need to be eliminated? Social Security retirement Social Security disability Medicare EITC CTC Medicaid TANF Food stamps Housing Assistance

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10774 posts)
I appreciate the compliment Fun, I know you offer them sparingly.

Perf:

"Can we all agree that Democratic policies entice, or lure more people to be lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?"

I would be willing to concede that might be true, marginally. We are a strong country because the percentage of Americans who choose sloth over industry has always been fairly low, surely in single digits. D programs geared to help people with fair and genuine needs might boost that percentage a point or two here or there, but empirical evidence has shown time and again that this is not a substantial cause of our deficits and debt.

Tell me that the entitlement programs in place are too generous relative to the tax revenues coming in to support them and I will readily agree.

Amherst Canada
Username hidden
(2368 posts)
Entitlement spending is up about 5000% since 1970

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16798 posts)
"Can we all agree that there is a segment of the population characterized as lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?"

Can we all agree that Democratic policies entice, or lure more people to be lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?"

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16798 posts)
Excellent post, Maritimers.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10774 posts)
Is it really "serious political discussion" to twist and bend reality rather than concede a simple point?

A "serious political discussion" benefits from trying to establish premises on which everyone (who is serious) agrees.

Can we all agree that there is a segment of the population characterized as lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?

I certainly believe this is the case.

I would dare say that any liberal who cannot accept this premise as written is most likely not interested in or capable of "serious political discussion."

Once all the serious people agree on this simple point, the next question that is emerging in the debate is, "what percentage of the population is comprised of the above mentioned lazy, addicted and/or crooked that prefer dependency to work?"

Any conservative who would say that the percentage is 47% is clearly not interested in "serious political discussion." Even Romney and Ryan are fast disavowing this contention.

Back to the liberals - I doubt that any of them who are interested in "serious political discussion" will dispute that approximately 47% of voters do not pay federal income taxes. That would seem disingenuous in light of the consistency of the statistics presented.

Back to the conservatives - does any one among you think that Romney can win the election by conceding to Obama the votes of the 47% of voters that are not paying income tax? If so, you are not interested in "serious political discussion" because if this were the case Romney would suffer the greatest landslide defeat in history. He is not that dumb.

And so on and so forth. That is how a serious political discussion works. Narrow down the issues to the core essentials, avoid the tangents, discard the views of those who continuously resist obvious premises based on semantics, snarkiness or just plain stubbornness.

----

The fundamental choice in this election is R-endorsed austerity versus D-favored stimulus. Ultimately our Congress and President are gonna come up with compromises that balance the need to control our debt with the need to keep our economic engine rolling through tough times. Romney versus Obama is simply a matter of where the lines will be drawn.

Alternatively, our government can deadlock on these issues for another four years or, put another way, like many D's and R's of old they can "kick the can" down the road for someone else to deal with in the future.

Amherst Canada
Username hidden
(2368 posts)
"If Gov't taking care of you isn't your main issue, why would you vote for OweBama?"

I don't want gov't taking care of me. I want a robust economy. Historically, that has occurred much more under Democratic administrations than Republicans.

I know someone who is a staunch Republican and always whines about the taxes he pays. His construction company has made millions off of public works contracts, many of which result from small-business set-asides. He has never given me a straight answer to whether he would rather pay lower tax rates on a halved income.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10774 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Start   361 to 370 of 433   End
TOPIC: Serious Political Discussion About The Elections