Senators who are selling out America : Swingers Discussion 73864
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSenators who are selling out America
TOPIC: Senators who are selling out America
Created by: 38specials The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
User Details are only visible to members.
sen, i meant this supreme court in this particular configuration would never require printing forms in the manner suggested below. i did not mean to imply that they would never address the issue of a national language.

in doing some research i see that 28 states, give or take have adopted english as their "state" language. again, i don't see the urgency of this issue.

same as for flag burning. again, i wonder how many flags are burned in the us each year. aren't their many many more pressing issues. and the beauty of this nation is that u can say u dislike or disagree the way it is run

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Well, Perfect, if you have noticed my postings have dropped off. Two reasons work and that no one takes the time to do TRUE research. They find a blog or web page that makes a claim without any scholarly, published, court or government references and automatically believe the story. Or they find an article that accuses someone of possibly being involved in something yet don't take into account that the outdated story has no follow ups, which with a few phone calls or using your local government resources, many of which are free, they would find the stories have died.

Another bias in the media, both on the left and right side, they report something that sounds devious and sensational because it sells and gets them readers and viewers. However, when the story nose dives, tanks with no sensationalism or intrigue as follow up they just ignore it hoping it will go away. Clearing a controversial persons is not news worthy, only dishing more dirt when it turns out to be true even when only a half truth is what the media is interested in.

USA Today in January is the only major paper, that I am aware of (I would suspect someone else had to run this - or hope), that ran a small short story, where it was reported that Coulter was no longer under investigation, the case was closed and no evidence of voter fraud found. In the same article it was noted that numerous people, other then Coulter, attempted to vote at the wrong precinct, but not due to any attempt at fraud, simply because they were new voters or new to the area and did not understand or know where they were supposed to cast their vote.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Flag burning is freedom of speech and expression. I find it disgusting, but at the same time, I am vehemently opposed to any legislation or enforcement that would take someone's right to express themselves.

The lack of an official national language is a problem that will only continue to grow. Dizzy is incorrect that the Supreme Court will never address this issue. It has already been addressed in several district courts. In all 8 cases, (starting with San Antonio Independent School District v. Rodriguez, and then Horton v. Meskill ) the courts ruled that since there is no official language in the U.S., educational and job opportunities must be tailored to equally support all languages spoken with said community. These cases have laid the foundation of students in several states being given teachers or intrepreters that speak in their native tongue and help them go all the way to High School graduation without ever mastering the english language. Once in the grown up world that only hurts their chances for job opportunities, it does nothing to broaden them.

If you look at Canada they spend 21 billion (Canadian) dollars per year on bilingul forms, education, road signs, government documents etc. That amount was just increased, due to a lawsuit by the province of Quebec, by another $2 million per month. It would of been more, but the Court actually acknowledged that the people of Canada were already tapped out by these type of government supported programs. The opponents in Canada of having a multi language country have produced multiple studies that reflect if one language was selected that the amount of taxpayers dollars spent on bilingual needs would drop to less then 40 million dollars per year (again Canadian dollars).

In Europe, Germany, France, Belgium, Italy and even Holland they all have an official language. What they do to embrace the diversities of other cultures is they require every High School student, in order to graduate, to select and learn a minimum of one or two other languages. We should consider doing the same. In Holland, I was amazed that most of the Dutch spoke multiple languages, fluently. We need to make English our official language and start our children, in school, at young ages to speak other languages. Perfect makes a good point that a common language will only help in immigrants getting a better job, understanding their rights, ensuring their employers are not ripping them off etc.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
i simply believe that there are numerous and i mean numerous more important issues then the national language. how will my life or your life change if such a bill is debated and/or passed? same thing with regard to flag burning.

i am not sure what i don't understand. so i guess i......don't understand!! :-)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
What Dzzy said is the reason I'm asking about this issue. Seems to me that it is blowing smoke and encouraging a lot of flag waving, but I don't understand the need for it. Its pretty obvious that English is our language. It is also pretty obvious that not everyone arriving in this country from elsewhere is going to speak it immediately. It is an extremely tough language to learn.

That's why my questions. I've never been part of a discussion regarding this, and really don't know ALL that it would entail. S

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
I was disappointed to learn that John Mccain voted to give Illegal Immigrants social security benefits. Is there any more to that bill? What was his reasoning behind that vote?

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
i believe that the "national language", don't burn the flag, gay marriage issues are all unecessary debates created to inflame opinions on both sides although more to the right. all such issues are style over substance.

the national language is english, just ask anyone. just think about it, what would such a bill or law say. heretofor, the national language is.... ENGLISH.. so what.

and the day when this Supreme Court requires all forms to be printed in all languages is a day that will never come.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
OK, I understand what you're getting at.

I guess my first question is, do other nations have national languages? We've visited in Europe a lot, and I find that many languages are spoken within each country. I make it a point to learn a little of the language of every country we visit, just to make myself understood.

And my second question is, are there that many employers, who hire immigrants who are having difficulty with this? I ask because companies like Tyson are huge employers of immigrants, both legal and not so, but the supervisors all seem to be multilingual, at least the plants in Arkansas that I actually toured anyway. S

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
No, I'm not. But on the other hand, don't give me some cock and bull about the printing costs either, lol.

I never really thought much about this issue, as I never felt it was truly necessary. This country was founded as a melting pot, and still is in many ways.

What exactly is the true reasoning behind the national language idea?

And do you never sleep? S

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
Wait a minute Perfect. We don't have a national language now, right? And so I assume we've already had all that printing expense? And if we were going to be found to be discriminating, seems to me something would have been said before now. I'm asking because I'm not sure whether I'm for or against it at this point, but I know that the only reason it tanked before was because a couple of senators stuck other things to the bill and it wasn't going to pass. S

Cambridge VT
Username hidden
(6291 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
TOPIC: Senators who are selling out America