Section 5 - Preclearance - Take 2 : Swingers Discussion 2177771021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSection 5 - Preclearance - Take 2
TOPIC: Section 5 - Preclearance - Take 2
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   21 to 27 of 27 
User Details are only visible to members.
Get rid of this crap. Equality means equal everything else, including this, is crap and counter productive to equality. Every state has people who vote on new laws and courts who make findings in grievances. It is time for the feds to climb out of the states business and stay out.

I am a strong supporter in voter ID. Voter ID is the only way to stop the voter fraud in this country. I push for giving every American a free ID that is their right to vote. This card can and should be removed from felons or the criminally insane so that they can no longer vote.

Creating equality in our society is no easy matter but sooner or later all preferential treatment has to stop.

Red Bluff CA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
I say keep it as is. There exist no good reason to remove said section. If it helps one specific race or group over another, alter it so to protect all minorities... But over all it is still needed, as evidenced by my own state and its foolish voter ID laws which the state wanted to try and enforce at the last minute.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7582 posts)
"Section Five of the Voting Rights Act gives the federal government the authority to pre-approve any changes to voting policy or procedure in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. It also covers certain counties in California, Florida, New York, North Carolina and South Dakota, and some communities in Michigan and New Hampshire.

The law was first passed in 1965. And since that time, those areas of the United States with a documented history of discriminatory election practices -- such as administering literacy and civics tests to people attempting to register to vote, refusing to offer multilingual ballots or translators or redrawing district lines in ways that reduce the influence of minority voters -- have received the legal equivalent of reminder notices that these activities are illegal. In some cases, the federal government has even issued all-out stop orders. Under Section Five, communities and states where less than half of the eligible minority populations are registered to vote or participate in elections have operated under a sort of federal special watch program. (A program's whose list of locations has expanded over time.)

In these places, if election officials want to do something as small as move a polling location or change its hours, or as large as require voters to provide specific forms of identification, they must first run the plan by federal officials inside the Department of Justice or a federal three-judge panel."

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16803 posts)
I too agree that it should done away with.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16803 posts)
I believe it should be overturned.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19417 posts)
Sorry guys, can you repost here and delete your posts there? I pasted the topic with a funky character, which creates an error.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16803 posts)
It appears that Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act is going to be overturned.

Justice Scalia stated that the continuance of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act symbolized the "perpetuation of racial entitlement."

Liberal judges argued that Section 5 is still necessary, because it helps the Justice Department and courts, to keep discrimination out of the polling places.

What do you think?

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(16803 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   21 to 27 of 27 
TOPIC: Section 5 - Preclearance - Take 2